Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Perusing stats whilst eatin' vittles
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,030

Perusing stats whilst eatin' vittles

Nov 1, 2018, 1:39 PM

Without injuries or us screwing the pooch, we should make it through the rest of the season and the ACCCG with little trouble. To pass the time, I thought I'd take a look at how we compare to the Gumps after 8 games.

I think Alabama is the real deal, but I don't buy into the hype about them being unbeatable. In fact, if we play our A game, they have to play their A game to have a chance to beat us.

As shown below (and I realize this isn't an earth-shattering scoop or original thought on my part), they appear to have a slight edge over us on the offensive side of the ball when compared to their average competition. What surprised me a little bit was that we appear to have a bigger edge on the defensive side of the ball when compared to our average competition.

A few disclaimers:

1) I think 8 games is enough of a sample size to account for 1 outlier
2) I only used Total O & D and Scoring O & D, mainly because I'm lazy.

OFFENSE

Clemson Ranks 8th with 522.6 of Total O against an average opponent Total D ranking of 67th (395.2 YPG)
Alabama Ranks 2nd with 564.3 of Total O against an average opponent Total D ranking of 84th (420.1 YPG)

Clemson Ranks 6th with 44.1 PPG against an average opponent PPG allowed ranking of 64th (26.8 PPG)
Alabama Ranks 1st with 54.1 PPG against an average opponent PPG allowed ranking of 92nd (31.8 PPG)

The above translates to

Clemson out-gains their average opponents defensive standard by 32% and outscores their standard by 65%
Alabama out-gains their average opponents defensive standard by 34% and outscores their standard by 70%

DEFENSE

Clemson Ranks 3rd with 263.9 in Total D against an average opponent Total O ranking of 49th (431.4 YPG)
Alabama Ranks 16th with 307.9 in Total D against an average opponent Total O ranking of 51st (434.6 YPG)

Clemson Ranks 1st with 13 PPG allowed against an average opponent PPG ranking of 49th (33 PPG)
Alabama Ranks 10th with 15.9 PPG allowed against an average opponent PPG ranking of 63rd (30 PPG)

The above translates to

Clemson holds their average opponents below their offensive standard by 39% and below their scoring standard by 61%
Alabama holds their average opponents below their offensive standard by 29% and below their scoring standard by 47%

Take it with a grade of slaw, but we appear to match up well.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Perusing stats whilst eatin' vittles

Nov 1, 2018, 3:02 PM

Every year 'bamer gets the ' best team ever' trophy. Every year they are beatable as proven on the field, just like every other team. I also like our chances, looking forward to beating the 'best team ever' for the second time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Perusing stats whilst eatin' vittles

Nov 1, 2018, 3:13 PM

Discounting Total O and Total D

Clemson Ranks 6th with 44.1 PPG against an average opponent PPG allowed ranking of 64th (26.8 PPG)
Alabama Ranks 1st with 54.1 PPG against an average opponent PPG allowed ranking of 92nd (31.8 PPG)

10 pts diff per game scored - 5 pt diff Opp pts allowed per game = 5 pts

Clemson Ranks 1st with 13(13.9) PPG allowed against an average opponent PPG ranking of 49th (33 PPG)
Alabama Ranks 10th with 15.9 PPG allowed against an average opponent PPG ranking of 63rd (30 PPG) *
* Opp PPG scored must be backward to rankings

2 pts diff pts allowed + 3 pts diff Opp pts scored = 5

Dead even!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As always it comes down to winning in the trenches

Nov 1, 2018, 3:17 PM

Both DLs will have the advantage. I look for a low-scoring game. Something like 24 - 23.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,030
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic