Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Palmetto Boys State
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Palmetto Boys State

Jun 15, 2019, 1:36 AM

I am a rising senior that attends Wren High School and I attended Palmetto Boys State this past week. I feel like I grew as a leader, person, and speaker this past week. I gained 42 new brothers and had the time of my life. I can honestly say that this past week has been the best week of my life. If you have sons in high school, or are currently in high school, I highly encourage you to participate in Boys State.
WE ARE BOYS STATE!
Go Tigers!!!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Super & positive post Ricky!

Jun 15, 2019, 7:11 AM

Congrats..makes me wish I was young again!

Go Tigers, of ALL ages!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Palmetto Boys State

Jun 15, 2019, 7:29 AM

Congratulations! Where is it held these days? I attended as well.

Message was edited by: tigernation2000

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Back in the dark ages, when I attended

Jun 15, 2019, 7:58 AM

it was held at The Citadel.

Just about all I can remember is bloody hands from winning the tug of war . . . and being in the Wando Community . . . Oh . . . and our flag being very abstract (not my design as I am a more formal flag guy, but am a team player so no issues falling in line ??)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Back in the dark ages, when I attended

Jun 15, 2019, 9:47 AM

Back in my dark ages it was at SCar .... Was a fun week ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Re: Back in the dark ages, when I attended

Jun 16, 2019, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Back in the dark ages, when I attended ]

I also was at Boys State summer 1975 at the Citadel. NO AIR CONDITIONING .
I was in Congaree. I roomed with a guy from Orangeburg who I became good friends with. That next year our high school played his high school in basketball. He was my man on defense and vice versa. He was dating girl that moved from Sumter to Orangeburg. While she was in Sumter I knew her and my parents were good friends with her parents. Her father died in the service and her mother remarried and moved to OBurg. And by chance he was my roommate at Boys State.
Small world.

Jun 15, 2019, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Palmetto Boys State ]

Anderson University

Go Tigers!!!

Jun 15, 2019, 7:33 AM

Congratulations Tiger4Life54. That's a nice honor. Good luck this year and enjoy your debit year!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2019, 8:08 AM

Congrats young man. I attended in summer of 87 @ the Citadel. What an awesome experience. My city was Waccamaw. My roommate was Robert Brooks from Greenwood. We were on the same basketball team and won the championship. I went to Clemson and he ended up at u5c.

Jun 15, 2019, 8:26 AM

Congrats young man...

Jun 16, 2019, 2:03 AM

Congrats to all of you, young and old.
It is/was an honor.

Jun 15, 2019, 9:41 AM

I attended Boy's State at the Citadel in 1970. That was a lifetime ago. I think all the cities were named after SC rivers and mine was Tugalo. It was an honor to be selected.
I didn't know they were still doing it.

Jun 15, 2019, 9:59 AM

It was at Wofford for a while. Glad it is out of Cootville.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2019, 6:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Palmetto Boys State ]

My city was Tugaloo in ‘91!

I attended the 1980 class of Boys State as a rising senior.

Jun 15, 2019, 10:48 AM

I also had a great time. At that time, it was held at The Citadel and on the last full day they took us all to Columbia for a ceremony on the capital steps with the Girls State participants. I met my college roommate there and we roomed for two years at Clemson. I also met several people that ended up being friends of mine at Clemson. I felt like I was ready to head right off to college at that point, but had one more year of high school.

Go Tigers!

Re: I attended the 1980 class of Boys State as a rising senior.

Jun 15, 2019, 11:25 AM

We had the ceremony in Columbia too. Also got a speech from the governor and Sen Strom Thurmond.
He was only a young guy then, probably about 70. :) Do they still have the CAB's?
CAB's were college guys who walked around scowling at us to supposedly keep us all in line.
Some of the ones that were there back then were Clemson football players.
By the end of the week they were all super friendly with us.

Yes, we had the CABS and met Thurmond and Governor.

Jun 15, 2019, 11:34 AM

Don't know if they still have the CABs. They were tough and intimidating. We thought they were so much older and they were probably all of 19, LOL.

Re: I attended the 1980 class of Boys State as a rising senior.

Jun 15, 2019, 4:52 PM [ in reply to Re: I attended the 1980 class of Boys State as a rising senior. ]

CAB’s are still around. They are huge and scary looking and began the week behaving strictly. By the end of the week, they joked around with us. What an experience!
Go Tigers!!!

Jun 15, 2019, 12:41 PM

I attended in Summer of 1970 at the Citadel. It was hot and no AC. Our city was awarded the sick city of the week. I was shocked at some of the guys stealing cadets duffel bags that were there waiting to be shipped home.Other than that it was a rewarding week.....

Jun 15, 2019, 12:55 PM

Congratulations on being selected. You have memories that will last a lifetime. I went in 1969 when it was still held at the Citadel.

Jun 15, 2019, 1:13 PM

So happy you had this opportunity. My husband went to Boys State in 1960 and says it was a great experience.

The Best Is Yet To Come***

Jun 15, 2019, 8:32 PM

Jun 16, 2019, 2:35 AM

Congrats Tigers4Life54

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2019, 6:44 AM

I attended back in the summer of 1991. We stayed at Wofford College. I remember having the same feeling as you do now when I got back. Keep the memories & the motivation will always be there. Our country is lacking in the leadership of men. We need level headed thinkers that look at the big picture & see things in the long term. You have a voice & now some insight into what our political system is like, and it’s up to you how you use that knowledge. It does my heart good to read your post about this, and I hope you’ll use what you’ve learned about government & yourself as a steppingstone to yours & your country’s success. Your legacy is yours, make it count

Jun 16, 2019, 9:59 AM

1983 Palmetto Boys State alum. It was at the Citadel. Still have that “We are Congaree...mighty, mighty Congaree” ...stuck in my head. Haha. Glad you had a positive experience and good that they still do this.

Jun 16, 2019, 11:25 AM

Congratulations! I attended long ago (79).

Jun 16, 2019, 11:25 AM

Congratulations! I attended long ago (79).

To each his own...

Jun 16, 2019, 3:31 PM

I wasn't a fan. I appreciated learning some stuff about politics but the whole marching to breakfast stuff was a big joke to me. Just tell me to be there at 7 and I will be there at 7. Don't make me line up...wait...sing songs while walking, etc..

We also had this goofy dude who gave Obama like speeches that won governor. It pretty much proved to be just like our society. Be a goofy rahrah public speaker with no substance and people might actually vote for you.

I'm glad I went but quickly realized that wasn't my cup of tea. I do appreciate the effort put into it.

Jun 16, 2019, 6:53 PM

Dude I still have those chants stuck in my head.
Anyways Chattooga City FTW.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic