Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ovetrton at slot ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 3,773

Ovetrton at slot ?

Aug 2, 2019, 8:09 PM

with Higgins and Ross , NOW that's just not fair LOL

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every college DC just collectively soiled their britches .***

Aug 2, 2019, 8:27 PM

Re: Ovetrton at slot ?

Aug 2, 2019, 8:30 PM

You forgot to add in the mixture of Ladson, Powell and Ngata!

And you forgot

Aug 2, 2019, 9:08 PM

Amari Rodgers, when he’s back 100%. To me he’s like Artavis Scott 2.0 with deadly speed and good hands... with a bit of Hunter Renfrow thrown in for good measure.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And you forgot

Aug 2, 2019, 10:24 PM

Who would date put our receivers second to anybody in the league?

Aug 3, 2019, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Ovetrton at slot ? ]

Sick !

There's not a better group of 1's and 2's on any team in the country .

#We2Deep

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 2, 2019, 8:57 PM

Maybe we should go 4 Wides, since we have zero options at TE. Not sure why we haven’t been able to recruit talent to this position.

Aug 2, 2019, 9:03 PM

I have wondered the same thing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why Cry TE. Overton in slot is Better!

Aug 2, 2019, 9:06 PM

If you look at the height/weight of most slot DB's they are sub six ft. Overton is a solid 6'5 and good hands. He's like Nuk in that he was a basketball player some; he knows how to "box out"! We don't have to have a J. Leggett type at TE folks. Not with a 6'5 slot WR. In our offense, rarely does a TE have to do a ton of blocking! I suspect if a play calls for WR or TE blocks; we will see some type of combo block with Overton or maybe another WR doubling some edge guy. To compensate for having a TE body type. Of course, J. Lay is an option especially early as blocking will be how he gets his feet wet in the system.

Once Amari comes back, you have your jet sweep guy back. Though Justin Ross could take a jet sweep to the house just as well. Him or DK.

Who was our devastating TE last year in our undefeated in the playoff era season? Exactly! We will be okay or more than OK.

***Note: beat the so called prior to the NC game. . . greatest college football team ever assembled. . . . w/o a game changing TE. Put 44 and could have been more up on the SEC's strongest defense(maybe it was MSU IDK). And but for showing mercy, could have easily been over 50! W/O some game changing TE.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Cry TE. Overton in slot is Better!

Aug 2, 2019, 9:29 PM

If you look at the height/weight of most slot DB's they are sub six ft. Overton is a solid 6'5 and good hands. He's like Nuk in that he was a basketball player some; he knows how to "box out"! We don't have to have a J. Leggett type at TE folks. Not with a 6'5 slot WR. In our offense, rarely does a TE have to do a ton of blocking! I suspect if a play calls for WR or TE blocks; we will see some type of combo block with Overton or maybe another WR doubling some edge guy. To compensate for having a TE body type. Of course, J. Lay is an option especially early as blocking will be how he gets his feet wet in the system.

Once Amari comes back, you have your jet sweep guy back. Though Justin Ross could take a jet sweep to the house just as well. Him or DK.

Who was our devastating TE last year in our undefeated in the playoff era season? Exactly! We will be okay or more than OK.

***Note: beat the so called prior to the NC game. . . greatest college football team ever assembled. . . . w/o a game changing TE. Put 44 and could have been more up on the SEC's strongest defense(maybe it was MSU IDK). And but for showing mercy, could have easily been over 50! W/O some game changing TE.

Actually Garrett Williams played a ton of snaps, almost entirely as a blocker in 11p. We did do a fair bit of 10p - 4-wide - down the stretch but that TE activates a lot of Clemson's run game. Formationally that extra blocker matters and Williams was really underrated. Watch the film and the dude could flat stick a block. He'll be missed this year. A lot.

This ^^. People that think we don’t need a TE on the field

Aug 2, 2019, 9:49 PM

Are clueless. Williams was huge for us in short yardage.

I have been wondering if we have a reserve tackle that can block on the edge, especially in goal line and short yardage. Our running game is going to take a hit without Williams.

If I’m a DC playing against a team that only runs 4-5 WR sets I would be sending 6 A LOT. You can rack up tackles for loss and clean shots to the QB. A big part of what made our offense so good last year was the balance. We can’t afford to just not have a TE on the field.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This ^^. People that think we don’t need a TE on the field

Aug 2, 2019, 9:59 PM

Assuming that was to me. My thing is: "Don't act like we don't have kids on scholarship who are TE's"! Obviously they will play and do their thing. It isn't clueless to understand, go block this guy or block that guy. Be athletic enough to protect the QB if needed.
My responses TigerDominance® was to all the folks who seem to think we have to have a: Greg Olsen, Gronk or Tony Gonzalez on the field.

***The kids we have on scholarship to play TE will serve the role Williams served in LY well. I mean, unless you all think they can't even block.
Which again, is not what the majority of comments trend to as people go further in their comments. It's always about stretching the field and such. etc.

Again, "not worried about TE" for what they are currently asked to do. Maybe should have broken it down like that(micro).

There are a lot of people , including some buddies I talk

Aug 3, 2019, 12:29 AM

Football with that say we don’t need a TE, just go 4 wide all the time and torch the defense.

That’s crazy talk. I hope Jalen Lay is a good blocker. He’s huge at 270+ lbs.

It would be great to have a tony Gonzalez but really all I want is a Garrett Williams. He was so fun to watch in run blocking. I’m more concerned with having reliable blockers than a receiving threat. In a perfect world the TE would be good at both but blocking is more important imo.

Re: There are a lot of people , including some buddies I talk

Aug 3, 2019, 1:10 AM

TigerDominance - I am with you. I think some people don't get the dirty work Garrett Williams did. Whoever is in the TE position either has to be a "very willing blocker" or "an able blocker who is good at getting open over the middle and is able to absorb contact"!
The ladder is the guy I think people envision when they say we have no TE. I like Chalk and Lay. I like the young guys we have on the roster who will cross train there too! I mean - if you aren't a dynamic TE - you had better be a willing blocker like G. Williams was in our offense. Or the co-OC's will find someone; even if they have to get a reserve DE(coughs) with a nasty streak to go block!
But, I think Chalk is going to fill the void nicely. Will he be Leggett or Allen good? No, Maybe, IDK? But, I think he can block well - he has been in the system long enough. And, is obviously a team guy or he would have left already. He is from Argyle, Texas and is still hanging in and putting in the work.
I think he comes in this season and shows the CF-world what he has. Lay may have to mature early. With his size and speed he could help sooner rather than later! I think he is an early enrolee too(which helps).
If he is going to basically be asked to block alot; I think that would be a good way to break him in to college football. As long as of c ourse, he does it at a high level.

Re: Why Cry TE. Overton in slot is Better!

Aug 2, 2019, 10:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Why Cry TE. Overton in slot is Better! ]

quozzel Exactly! But, all the comments about TE of which we still have Chalk and Jaelyn Lay. Plus, I am sure someone will be cross trained for the position. Especially if the position calls for a bigger body who is athletic and versatile enough to block and do pass pro well. If they are terrible at route running or catching; not a big a deal with Overton on the field. Pop pass or a slant to that guy works.
TE ( X ) protect the QB, BAM. We have this body type and personnel on the roster already.

Good break down about Garrett Williams.

Again, my comments are for those concerned we won't have that dominating pass catching TE. And we may not, but if he can block we are cooking with vegetable oil.

Not crying, just curious why we can recruit

Aug 2, 2019, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Why Cry TE. Overton in slot is Better! ]

Nationally elite players at ever position but TE. I know we can win without one, but we’d more effectively offensive team we an elite TE. I’m really hoping Gilbert can see how bad we need a TE and we can steal him from UGA.

I give up I can’t type on my phone.

Aug 2, 2019, 9:47 PM

Re: Not crying, just curious why we can recruit

Aug 2, 2019, 9:52 PM [ in reply to Not crying, just curious why we can recruit ]

rhettm J. Lay will be good. He is just raw.

And, yes, G. Williams will be missed. But, I think we have guys who can fill that void. I think people when they are freaking out about an elite TE are thinking more of the pass catching variety TE. Dwayne Allen. Jordan Leggett. We have had some very good luck with the position of late. But, maybe the offense has evolved to where the TE is less for the pass catching TE and more ironically for the guy who is mobile enough to make blocks across the field or pull on certain plays. All of which goes unsung and unpraised by the naked eye.

Re: Not crying, just curious why we can recruit

Aug 3, 2019, 12:02 AM

2 things crushed our TE position... who would have thought our best player would skip out of his final year to join the military? Great kid and hats off to him, but that hurt a lot. And, had Bradon Galloway not suffered the suspension, even with Williams’ departure, we probably would be fairly excited about the position. Lay is a big time prospect, Galloway comes back next year, Davis will be serviceable and we have plenty of blue chip interest. We just got hit by an anomaly of an off-season at TE.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m holding out hope for Gilbert too.

Aug 2, 2019, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Not crying, just curious why we can recruit ]

We need to show him film of Leggett and make him realize we have been missing a key cog of our offensive machine the last 2 years.

The one thing I have faith in is that Dabo knows how to work these angles. He’s a highly skilled salesman.

All's fair in love and football.***

Aug 2, 2019, 9:25 PM

Aug 2, 2019, 9:26 PM

Hope it works & works well but have trouble wrapping my mind around it

Aug 3, 2019, 1:31 AM

Of the first 6 highlights only I believe 1 is of him making an outstanding catch.

Look at this kids mean streak and willingness to block! Keep in mind; in an athletic 6'6 270 lb. frame.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5250831/5ba4c4a7578eb7041c2e5efc

Aug 3, 2019, 10:00 AM

And Chalk's highlights. You just haven't seen him. He's good!

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1749348/5721c4500428ae20e4bd98f6

I am not worried about TE like that. I worry more about depth at LB.

These dudes seem to like contact and Chalk has been here a few seasons. We will be fine. Lay: just a matter of him getting to "college speed" and learning the playbook! Especially if we aren't looking for the next Jimmy Graham which J. Lay very well could develop into. He has the frame for it.

Replies: 23
| visibility 3,773
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic