Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wow! 24/7 has us ranked 2nd behind Alabama. If we
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Wow! 24/7 has us ranked 2nd behind Alabama. If we

Apr 16, 2019, 6:10 PM

get Bresee (#1), Ulagalelei (#6), and Burch (#8), it will have to be the best recruiting class ever...all schools included.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow! 24/7 has us ranked 2nd behind Alabama. If we

Apr 16, 2019, 6:38 PM

It'll take more than that statistically speaking. Bowman, Sampah, and Murphy then we'd really start talking about "best ever" possiblities but don't forget that 2018 UGA class landed 7 5 stars and 15 4 stars.

Apr 16, 2019, 6:50 PM

If we walk on the field this year against Alabama... They are going to be JUST like we were 4 years ago...Timid,like...can we hang with these guys...YOWZA...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2019, 7:39 PM

I never saw a DW team timid.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Over-Stand" I get wanting High Rank! But,

Apr 16, 2019, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Wow! 24/7 has us ranked 2nd behind Alabama. If we ]

Since this coaching staff has taken over; Clemson has beaten teams who had higher recruiting classes on the field. Tougher match ups yes. I would love to see us have one of the best statistical classes "EVER"! As long as they are also the type of kid that fit into what "Clemson is about under Coach Swinney as well"!
I would rather have a 3 star kid who is willing to grind for it over "johnny 5 star" who feels entitled and "who won't get any better than what they came in as"! Even at Clemson 5 star guys sometimes take time to "mature and get it"! Tre Lamar redshirted. Shaq Smith too. Both 5 star guys. Albert Huggins(huggy) was top 100 and "may" have been ranked higher than CW42(don't quote me).
In other words - it don't guarantee you a winning record, ACC championships, bowl wins or playoff spots. Now, if the staff likes all those guys work ethic and they will be "more fine examples of good ambassadors of the program" great!

I like how we currently do: The best kids who are about doing it the right way and being part of something bigger than themselves. No matter the star next to the name. Coach Swinney said it, " I recruit the person 1st"! I believe him and respect that..... and i'm convinced it has far more to do with the success of the program than most will ever comprehend!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not so fast my friend! Best ever? Imagine if you had a

Apr 16, 2019, 6:54 PM

recruiting pool of 7 million applicants -AND- you get to go to any school in the nation and cherry-pick their best players for your team. That was 1945 Army.

"Because of loose wartime transfer rules — the service academies were basically able to recruit all-star teams — and because Blaik was relentless in milking every advantage, this team featured plenty of stars from other schools.

Halfback Shorty McWilliams was an All-American for Mississippi State in 1944 and returned to Starkville in 1946; in 1945, he was a backup good enough to finish eighth in the Heisman voting. Fullback Bobby Dobbs helped Tulsa to the Sun Bowl in 1942 and backed up Blanchard in 1945. Guard Joe Steffy played for Tennessee in 1944, when the Volunteers when unbeaten in the regular season again.

End Barney Poole played for Ole Miss and would return to Oxford to lead the Rebels to the 1947 SEC title. End Hank Foldberg played for Texas A&M, halfback Dean Sensanbaugher played for Ohio State, fullback Bob Summerhays would thrive at Utah, etc.

Plus, the show was run by quarterback Arnold Tucker, a steady enough hand to finish fifth himself in the Heisman voting (third on his own team) in 1946.

The skill positions were stocked three-deep with star power, and the line was extraordinary. It featured All-American captain John Green and future first-round pick DeWitt “Tex” Coulter, plus Herschel “Ug” Fuson, an athlete versatile enough to play both halfback and center and star at lacrosse.

Coulter would later say that this team had better depth than the 1946 NFL East champion New York Giants team he would join.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/12/9/13843204/1945-army-football-season-world-war-2

Re: Not so fast my friend! Best ever? Imagine if you had a

Apr 16, 2019, 7:21 PM

The 40s are a time gone with the wind. May as well wax eloquent about the great Harvard teams that dominated and won multiple titles.....all without black athletes. That era was so different as to be immaterial. Or so I think.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2019, 7:21 PM [ in reply to Not so fast my friend! Best ever? Imagine if you had a ]

The 40s are a time gone with the wind. May as well wax eloquent about the great Harvard teams that dominated and won multiple titles.....all without black athletes. That era was so different as to be immaterial. Or so I think.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2019, 7:21 PM [ in reply to Not so fast my friend! Best ever? Imagine if you had a ]

True, but if you say "ever", what does "ever" mean?***

Apr 16, 2019, 7:26 PM

welcome back - you've obviously missing for months.***

Apr 16, 2019, 6:54 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic