Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on Pete Buttigieg?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Thoughts on Pete Buttigieg?

Mar 26, 2019, 3:05 PM

Pete Buttigieg is a 37 year old Mayor of South Bend who will likely announce his candidacy for president soon.

I'm really impressed with his ideas and communication. Only took a few minutes of listening to him speak for me to realize this is the type of politician we need more of. I'll admit I am left leaning (and Pete is progressive) but I do feel his temperament is one that could help improve the polarization we are all suffering from.

Interested to hear tnet's thoughts for those who have been exposed to him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Over 200 democrats have announced running for Dem

Mar 26, 2019, 3:09 PM

nomination, press just doesnt mention this....

He will be on the debate stage...

Mar 26, 2019, 3:14 PM

Without widespread recognition, he has managed to get the 65,000 individual campaign contributions to be there.

There is plenty of press out there for him by accessible just by googling his name if you were so inclined.
'
If it was more your point to say there are a lot of democrats competing for the nomination, ok.

Re: Over 200 democrats have announced running for Dem

Mar 26, 2019, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Over 200 democrats have announced running for Dem ]

hey, at least we did not run kid rock for senate.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm only in if he takes his mom to see hardcore ####***

Mar 26, 2019, 3:15 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He makes good tweets

Mar 26, 2019, 3:17 PM

What I’ve seen from him talks the talk and my buddy that lives in South Bend says he’s very sincere.

Srs I’m not sure being mayor of a mid sized city gets you ready to be leader of the free world so maybe he should shoot for governor first but hey, who’d have thought a B-list reality TV star could do the job either?

One of the fairer criticisms of him

Mar 26, 2019, 3:26 PM

Being a rhodes scholar with study in philosophy politics and economics, serving in Afghanistan as a naval intelligence officer and his political experience so far were enough to get me to go through a listen of a lot of his interviews.

With me and with a lot of others, that idea of him not having enough experience fell away pretty quickly after hearing his policies and how he communicates them. Highly recommend.

That does give him more background than I thought

Mar 26, 2019, 3:35 PM

he had.

Not sure the old guard will get out of his way but they need to. Both parties need to put the geezers out to pasture.

Will pay a little more attention to him.

Thanks

No shid, man. I'm with you on putting

Mar 26, 2019, 4:00 PM

the old f@rts in both parties out to pasture. They are the a-holes who created this divisive culture of entertainment gutter politics, it's time for them to go.

*As an Alabamian, I'm lookin' at you Mo "Mein Kampf" Brooks.

Na. They don't like him in South Bend

Mar 26, 2019, 3:26 PM

His partner is a junior high teacher who runs the twitter for their dogs...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

from what I read, they do seem to like him in South Bend

Mar 26, 2019, 3:29 PM

also, what does his partner's occupation and twitter feed have to do with his candidacy

Just anecdotal

Mar 26, 2019, 3:33 PM

I don't think a lot of people are interested in voting for a guy whose boyfriend runs his dog's twitter. Maybe the kind of people who would vote for him wouldn't care, but as far as I know he's not positioning himself far to the left. He's probably not the worst, policy-wise.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

haha hoping people base their vote on things that matter***

Mar 26, 2019, 3:36 PM

nm

Cam with some dry political humor

Mar 26, 2019, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Just anecdotal ]

I hope...

This reads like exactly what you'd expect from modern Dems

Mar 26, 2019, 3:42 PM

right down to the lack of children (obvious) and the reference to their dogs as children.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/21/politics/2020-first-spouses-men/index.html?no-st=1553629076

Husband: Pete Buttigieg, mayor of South Bend, Indiana

Married: June 2018

Children: None, but Chasten Buttigieg runs the Twitter account for the couple's two dogs, Truman and Buddy, @firstdogsSB.

Fun fact: Chasten Buttigieg loves the game of Skee-Ball so much, according to their New York Times wedding profile, the couple had two machines for guests to play at their wedding reception.
The lowdown: Should Pete Buttigieg win, Chasten Buttigieg would make history — twice. He would be the first male first spouse, and the first gay first spouse. At 29, he is also the youngest presidential partner of the 2020 crop, and the only millennial.

Since Buttigieg announced his candidacy, his husband has taken a leave from teaching to devote himself to being a supportive campaign partner. He travels with "Mayor Pete," as his husband is known, when he can, and promotes Buttigieg's message on the trail and via his frequent social media posts.

Chasten Glezman Buttigieg told CNN's Kate Bolduan he was excited for his husband's foray into the national political arena.

"I'm really excited for the country to get to know (Pete) on a much larger scale because he's such a breath of fresh air," he said.

He also told Bolduan that he tends to call Pete by his full name, Peter, unless he's in trouble.
"(He's) mostly Peter to me, depends on the situation we're in. Peter Paul if he hasn't done the dishes."

That's a pet peeve of mine. The greatest President in the

Mar 26, 2019, 3:44 PM

history of the universe, Ronald Wilson Reagan, could be reincarnated and up for election, and he'd lose my vote if he uttered the phrase "fur babies" even once.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who the #### cares?***

Mar 26, 2019, 3:47 PM [ in reply to This reads like exactly what you'd expect from modern Dems ]

White, religious, Republicans

Mar 26, 2019, 3:55 PM

who refuse to see individuals instead of labels.

hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 26, 2019, 3:57 PM

Only see labels!! Republicans!!!

From the party with the ideology that gave us LGBTQIA, gender fluidity, Cultural appropriation accusations for halloween costumes, white privilege, and various other cultural wedges based entirely on labels.

That's rich.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Republicans aren't the only guilty ones

Mar 26, 2019, 4:03 PM

but you just succinctly made my point.

Pro tip:

Mar 26, 2019, 4:11 PM

Saying "you just made my point" really doesn't fit when one just made a point completely opposite your point.

I ain't the one that just rattled off

Mar 26, 2019, 4:17 PM

the top 10 of labels and talking points of conservative media. I'm surprised you didn't fit something about guns in there.

You think conservatives want to talk about those "labels"?

Mar 26, 2019, 4:21 PM

Conservatives aren't the aggressors in the culture war. What's funny to @obed and myself is that you're accusing Republicans of taking part in identity politics when Democrats have been the ones pushing it for years.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

Can we get back to why gay dudes talking about dogs is wrong

Mar 26, 2019, 4:25 PM

you know, the reasonable take this highly intelligent argument branched off from?

Sounds really gay, to me

Mar 26, 2019, 4:34 PM

I wouldn't personally be very excited about a gay candidate, but I only suggested that his millennial gay life might be a problem for his popularity. You'll notice that I'm not the only one in this thread who suggested that.

You say conservatives aren't pushing identity politics?

Mar 26, 2019, 4:56 PM

-"I don't think a lot of people are interested in voting for a guy whose boyfriend runs his dog's twitter."

-"His partner is a junior high teacher who runs the twitter for their dogs"

- "reads like exactly what you'd expect from modern Dems"..."right down to the lack of children (obvious) and the reference to their dogs as children.'
(regarding a profile on his husband/partner)

-"I wouldn't personally be very excited about a gay candidate, but I only suggested that his millennial gay life might be a problem for his popularity."

and the real kicker is that you say this about his policies, "He's probably not the worst, policy-wise."

So, the only thing you are talking about are labels concerning his identity as a gay man married to another gay man who happens to be a millennial and writes about his dogs.

C'mon man

There is no culture war, nobody is pushing their

Mar 26, 2019, 4:58 PM [ in reply to You think conservatives want to talk about those "labels"? ]

lifestyle or culture on you. In the world of political entertainment it's terminology designed to create fear, doubt, and opposition. Your place in the world is yours, nobody is trying to take it from you. There is less need today of the "us vs them" mentality.

Right, because you dismiss the other side***

Mar 26, 2019, 5:01 PM

Who are you at war with? I'm a

Mar 26, 2019, 5:09 PM

white, religious male...kinda old, not that old, and I'm not at war with anybody. I haven't dismissed the other side, I am the other side and both sides (insert fat joke here). I ain't Rodney Kingin' this thing, but it's time to accept folks for who they are and where they came from.

Key point: He never said "only"

Mar 26, 2019, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Pro tip: ]

which is what your point was refuting.

Not only that, but the duty to affirm it all

Mar 26, 2019, 4:08 PM [ in reply to hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!! ]

Then again, we're wading into a debate about whether or not to vote for a Dem candidate, so maybe we shut butt(igieg) out.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

I’ve read good things about him. And in the past I’ve said

Mar 26, 2019, 3:33 PM

we would never elect someone with the name Barack Hussein Obama. Nor would we elect someone who said all his heroes were the ones who didn’t get captured. So, I”m not going to say we won’t elect an openly gay candidate, but that would be tough.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would I vote for a grown man who sticks his tallywhacker

Mar 26, 2019, 3:45 PM

I think I would question his decision making skills

was impressed with Pete B last year

Mar 26, 2019, 3:45 PM

when I heard him on debate for DNC chair. His main point then was that the DNC had totally neglected the country at the local and state level, and criticized the DNC for not having enough interest to invest in that part of the political culture. Really was good to hear someone articulate this point.

Other interesting facts:

Afghan War Vet, Naval Intelligence Officer, currently a Lt in Naval Reserve
Rhodes Scholar
Phi Beta Kappa at Harvard
Father was Chair of English Department at Notre Dame
Mom was also a professor at Notre Dame

I actually think he will easily make the top five, and would make an excellent running mate.

I've only heard one radio interview and he sounds

Mar 26, 2019, 3:50 PM

like he's well put together in the smarts department. South Bend seems to have benefited from his leadership, so let's assume he has implementation skills, as well. Can he scale that into Oval office? I dunno, but our last two elections have yielded some unexpected surprises.

My short take away was that if he gets to the debate stage, his popularity will rise tremendously. The interview I heard wasn't scripted and he very effectively communicated positions on a variety of topics and not once resorted to jibber jabber talking points.

If he makes through the initial wave of primaries, I'll pay more attention.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic