Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Would CU Leave The ACC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Why Would CU Leave The ACC?

Apr 19, 2019, 12:57 PM

Clemson is a school of integrity 1st and foremost and would want to remain aligned with schools who are better in terms of academic recognition.
As far as football goes - why would you go to the dumpster fire SEC? You can schedule all of them! You play a bunch of the teams from that conference. LSU comes to mind, Auburn, Georgia, A&M, U of suck. I think early in Coach Swinney's career we may have played and beaten Tenn too in a bowl game(not sure about that).
When people talk that, "join a real conference talk" do they hear themselves? The SEC was getting "blank" - slapped around last year by big brother Bamer! Clemson comes along and takes their big brother behind the woodshed!
Makes no sense on any level to join that conference. Unless you have allowed your brain to become warped with the constant - It just means more - every team is good in the SEC non-sense! Fact is: they are top heavy much like the Big 10, Big 12 and ACC is. Why does the ACC not get a pass?

And why join a conference where ........ .

Go Tigers! ***let these SEC homers wallow in their own muck!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Would CU Leave The ACC?

Apr 19, 2019, 1:18 PM

Well, the best case for NOT doing is South Carolina. Coots did it so Clemson won't. Good policy in life. I don't see us going SEC or being Independent.

Next, while there are element that Clemson might not like, I still seeing us staying put:

I could see Clemson leaving.... if:

First, UNC pulls a Texas/B12 move for power. I don't see this happening because UNC needs our football money. In addition, long term the BC/Pitt/Cuse element will actually pull power away from Tobacco Rd.

Next, you would need a national tend of small conferences again. Basically schools get tired of being 1 of 15 ways to win a championship. Thus conferences fragment like how they did from the Socon back in the day.

If you have a trend of fragmentation, then you would also need like schools. If UNC gains power and OTHER conferences fragment, AND you have similar schools: GT, FSU, Miami, VT, & Wake and NC State also willing to leave, then it becomes plausible. You can almost split the southern football schools +2 NC schools from the others with a cohesive conference. We might even pick up Pitt which would be interesting.

Actually, I see the potential for a "new" Big East if the movers get tired of being doormats. Maryland and Rutgers, plus BC, Cuse, etc could reform because while money is good, money is not always guaranteed and fanbases are not always willing to lose for 20 or 80+ years (like the coots). You could see three 8 team conference arise in the east (NE, Mid Atlantic, South Atlantic) IF the national direction show the "big" conference model explode.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2019, 6:12 PM

FutureDoc Thanks!

I see your point and would like to raise another thing I believe we will see.

I think we are headed toward crowning a Group of 5 NC! -------- > Remember where you heard it 1st or 5th. < ----------
Why would UCF, App St, Memphis, Boise St, etc. continue trying to "walk into a brick wall"? Even when they are very good; they have practically zero chance of being the National Title holders! To me, it's time for there to be "yet another" division! Or those group of 5 schools will be playing for "what exactly"?

Thanks for the correction on Tennessee!

Apr 19, 2019, 1:22 PM

Bowden beat Tennessee.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2019, 1:30 PM

Because we will never have a shot at winning a national title unless we jump to the Big 12. At least that is what some posters on here thought about 12+/- years ago.

Apr 19, 2019, 6:15 PM

Well we've left the ACC in our wake as far as football , but I agree we should stay with the old guard... a conference we've been in since the start-up .
Something to be said for loyalty and longevity ( and not just that they both begin with LO ) .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

New network and we're on top... What more do you want?

Apr 20, 2019, 8:08 AM

She'd have to be some stunning starlet to abdicate the throne at this time and place.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only non-alumni would consider leaving the ACC***

Apr 19, 2019, 6:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Only non-alumni would consider leaving the ACC***

Apr 19, 2019, 6:36 PM

ninetytwotiger® Interesting take. I think I know; but why do you say that?

*** Sports is the only reason I hear SEC-PN analyst and other haters suggest leaving. Academics is taken a lot more serious in the ACC( w/University of Non-Compliance exception).

Re: Only non-alumni would consider leaving the ACC***

Apr 19, 2019, 8:32 PM

My hot take was in large part tongue in cheek to get the alumni v non-alumni banter going. But too early in the year for that to happen. We need the doldrums of mid summer for that topic to gain any traction.

But from a personal perspective, I'd rather not have my school associated with the SEC for several reasons including academic perception (though the SEC has plenty of ACC level schools).

Re: Why Would CU Leave The ACC? $$$***

Apr 19, 2019, 7:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they won't leave,but if ACC doesn't improve,it will

Apr 19, 2019, 8:09 PM

hurt us when other teams are close to us,if that ever happens

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Improve? Both major championships are in ACC hands***

Apr 19, 2019, 8:53 PM

Re: Improve? Both major championships are in ACC hands***

Apr 19, 2019, 9:03 PM

Exactly!

there are 12teams in the ACC,11 SUCK***

Apr 19, 2019, 9:05 PM [ in reply to Improve? Both major championships are in ACC hands*** ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, but that one is really good.***

Apr 19, 2019, 9:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: there are 12teams in the ACC,11 SUCK***

Apr 19, 2019, 9:51 PM [ in reply to there are 12teams in the ACC,11 SUCK*** ]

And one of those teams that suck - whipped up on one of the "propoganda propped up best conference" team 28-0.

If it isn't about helping Clemson in some profound way; it doesn't make sense! Especially because these things are cyclical. I seem to recall all the Florida schools were running college football for a while. Seems like yesterday Miami, Florida St(not ACC at the time. but the school still has those titles and lineage) and Florida. 1, 2 and 3 in the polls.

But, to each their own. I don't see the purpose it would serve; raising that national title no matter what conference does all the talking for CU. No chest thumping needed or urination contest needed until we get to the nitty gritty.

BTW, with the logic some people have about this. Then why don't Alabama leave the SEC. Most years lately Tenn, Vandy, Kentucky, U of Suck, Arkansas aren't hittin on much. Ole Miss either! They had a splash but where are their titles?
By the logic given: Bamer, Clemson, Ohio St, Oklahoma,Auburn, Fla. St(won national titles most recently) need to form a conference. Throw in the following teams because they recruit well or b/c they seem to win: Georgia, LSU, UCF, Michigan, Penn St.,Texas, Notre Dame.

Every team is good: b/c that is not true at all of the SEC. Would be the only way to give those who want these big time matchups every week. In fact, the winner of the conference is the national champion, LOL! Save time and money for everyone doing it this way.

I thought we were headed to the Big 12?***

Apr 19, 2019, 8:24 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why? Because the ACC is a fiery wreck on the

Apr 19, 2019, 8:29 PM

Highway . FSU, Miami, Louisville, GT, UNC, VT all the old football programs with a pulse are DOA and play awfully bad football. Integrity in academics? UNCheat stands out like a sour thumb. Notre Dame? A member but ...not a member? Having to play 2 division foes out of 6 way north of the Mason-Dixon line while not even playing traditional ACC rival like the Tarholes. I don't know. Glass half full or empty. Clemson is the only team that matters. But the schedule has got to get better. GO TIGERS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why? Because the ACC is a fiery wreck on the

Apr 19, 2019, 9:02 PM

AThomas® If you have made the playoffs all but one year despite those fiery wrecks on the highway; I guess is my question?
I mean, if the argument is, "the ACC doesn't prepare you to beat the best"! That should have gotten laid to rest in January when Clemson beat the so called best team ever in college football by 28 points. If the ACC didn't prepare the Tigers; how could that have been accomplished?

So, I really don't get it. We can schedule and play any of those teams anytime we want!

I would understand it if it was about "GATE MONEY" only.

With SEC PN and now the ACC network dividing the funds from the TV contract should make it a bit easier to tell I guess! Big 10 games where Northwestern is hosting Iowa are for after you just cut the grass and you need rest before the Clemson game starts. But, those schools do pretty well despite not having the biggest stadiums or fan bases.(NW more so than Iowa).

Clemson will not leave the ACC

Apr 19, 2019, 10:10 PM

Football power waxes and wanes. VT, FSU, and Miami were playing for Nattys when Clemson was not. Some team in the ACC will rise up sooner or later and again play top notch football. Between now and then, Clemson should enjoy the roll we are on and try to cling to the top of the ACC and thereby have more shots at a Natty.

The SEC has 14 teams and all but one of them SUCK. In the last 6 years, which is a LONG LONG time in the memory of recruits, the SEC has had only 1 team. It's Bama and the 13 dwarfs. Florida has burned through several coaches and gone nowhere. Tennessee is in the pits. Ole Miss is in Jail. TAMU hasn't won anything in forever and has fired several coaches and spent millions trying to be good; time will tell if Jimbo can help'em. LSU has a great name and they've lost 7 times in a row to Bama. Auburn has lost 20 games in the last four years and they gave their coach a huge contract. Are they trying or not? Georgia's has choked badly the last two times they played for something. The Dawgs are the second best team in the SEC and they lost 3 games last year badly.

Right now Oklahoma owns the Big 12. Ohio State owns the Big 10. Alabama owns the SEC. Clemson owns the ACC. No one out west plays well these days.

So Clemson isn't going anywhere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson will not leave the ACC

Apr 19, 2019, 10:18 PM

No one in the ACC is going to another conference voluntarily unless they have about $20M to spare. The ACC put that in place when Clemson and FSU were considering a move to the SEC in the mid 2000s.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Right now..." Right on! Clemson owns the ACC(Network) ;~)***

Apr 20, 2019, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Clemson will not leave the ACC ]

Agree for the most part. But just pointing out ACC

Apr 20, 2019, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Clemson will not leave the ACC ]

Is no bed of roses. Because of UNCheat you can't really say academics are more important for the conference. For Clemson yes. Not the entire conference.

Still, these programs that were good seem stuck in low drive and loses to lesser foes who are part of a scheduling philosophy that escapes me are very embarrassing. Alas . . .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wait! The Dude from WV said we're going to Big 12.

Apr 19, 2019, 11:35 PM

Nm

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Willing to bet you've had more drinks than posts in 12 yrs.

Apr 20, 2019, 8:20 AM

Of course, WiFi can be erratic on some yachts... ;~)

Re: wait! The Dude from WV said we're going to Big 12.

Apr 20, 2019, 8:25 AM [ in reply to wait! The Dude from WV said we're going to Big 12. ]

LOL what ever happened to "the Dude"? You don't hear anything from him anymore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic