Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 2013 (8)Clemson- 55 Georgia Tech- 24
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 1

On This Date: 2013 (8)Clemson- 55 Georgia Tech- 24

Nov 14, 2018, 9:44 AM

November 14, 2013 (Thurs)
Death Valley, SC

Clemson's offense blows the doors off The Ramblin' Wreck in Death Valley 55-24

Boyd threw for 340 yards and four touchdowns to break Philip Rivers' Atlantic Coast Conference career record in No. 8 Clemson's 55-31 victory over Georgia Tech on Thursday night. Boyd threw a major scare into Tigers coaches, teammates and the 75,324 fans at Death Valley when he remained on the turf in pain at the end of the third quarter with what the school said was a left collarbone injury.

But Boyd had X-rays done, and no breaks were discovered. He bounded out of the locker room, grabbed a ball and even pestered offensive coordinator Chad Morris to go back in. Boyd didn't have to, though, with Clemson (9-1, 7-1 ACC) ahead 41-24 and cruising to a third straight victory since losing to No. 2 Florida State last month.

"If it was a dire situation I felt like I needed to play, I felt like I could've," Boyd said. "But we were in a situation where it wasn't needed."

Will he slow down at all with Football Championship Subdivision opponent Citadel up next for Clemson on Nov. 23?

"No, man, I'm not going to miss my last game in the valley," he said. "I'll throw a pad in there and I'll be fine."

That has been Boyd's attitude for much of his record-setting career.

"He's a competitor," Morris said. "My gosh, look at the records this guy has broken in the ACC. Wow. And in just three years."

Boyd has 97 touchdown passes, two more than Rivers (now with the San Diego Chargers) had at North Carolina State from 2000 to '03.

Georgia Tech (6-4, 5-3) had faint hopes of winning the ACC Coastal Division but fell behind 20-0 early in the second quarter and could not catch up.

Sammy Watkins had touchdown catches of 41 and 44 yards for the Tigers.

The stadium went silent when Boyd was down on the field. The mood lightened when he returned to the sideline and loosened up his arm. He'll need to be healthy in two weeks when the Tigers look to break a four-game losing streak to rival South Carolina.

Receiver Martavis Bryant said the players were worried when they saw Boyd in pain, but things lightened up once he returned as the same ol', smiling Tajh.

"It felt good," Bryant said. "We need him."

Bryant finished with five catches for a career-high 176 yards receiving, including a 76-yard TD pass from Boyd. Watkins finished with 104 yards, his seventh game over the century mark this season. He also moved past 1,000 yards on the season.

It was Clemson's first time out in Death Valley since a 51-14 loss to No. 2 Florida State on Oct. 19. Boyd and the Tigers made sure they gave the fans plenty to cheer about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Replies: 0
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic