Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1993 Clemson- 23 (17)Virginia- 14
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

On This Date: 1993 Clemson- 23 (17)Virginia- 14

Nov 13, 2018, 2:32 PM

A Halloween trip to Chapel Hill the previous week couldn't have gone any worse. Shutout 24-0 by the Heels on Primetime TV, and with #17 Virginia coming to town, the Tiger Offense desperately needed a spark. ...Enter Redshirt Freshman Cornerback Quaterback Dexter McCleon.

Clemson - 23 No. 17 Virginia- 14

CLEMSON, S.C. -- Redshirt freshman quarterback Dexter McCleon hit Terry Smith with a 73-yard touchdown and scored on a 29-yard run Saturday to lead Clemson to a 23-14 upset win over 17th-ranked Virginia.

The Cavaliers have never won at Clemson with 17 losses and one tie and Virginia has beaten the Tigers only once overall in 33 meetings.

That lone victory came last year, 29-28, and the Cavaliers were a 6- point favorite Saturday.

But Nelson Welch put the Tigers in front for good with a 33-yard field goal that came with four seconds left in the first half and Clemson dominated the second half.

Clemson climbed to 7-3 and finished its Atlantic Coast Conference schedule with a 5-3 record. Virginia is 7-3 for the year and also completed its league campaign at 5-3.

Dexter McCleon gave the tigers the lead late in the first quarter with a 29-yard run and the Cavaliers tied it on a 58-yard throw from Symmion Willis to Demetrius Allen in the second period. Welch's field goal gave Clemson a 10-7 halftime lead and McCleon's 73-yard touchdown pass to Smith came just 75 seconds into the third period.

Virginia climbed to within three points on Jerrod Washington's 3-yard run with 6:06 left in the third quarter, but the Tigers regained a cushion on a 13-yard scoring run by Chris Franklin midway through the final period.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

I'd love to see the video of this game

Nov 13, 2018, 3:06 PM

Because I think that Nelson Welch FG mentioned below before the half might be one that I almost caught. I was walking across the end zone with the band and stood behind the goalpost as he kicked it--tried to catch it, but with my hat and instrument in one hand, I had no chance. Deflected it instead.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was my first time at Clemson.

Nov 13, 2018, 3:38 PM

12 years old. I still have that program up in the attic somewhere. Darnell Stephens signed it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic