Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ok, bringing this to the top. Johnstone Hall....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Ok, bringing this to the top. Johnstone Hall....

Jan 31, 2019, 3:22 PM

I saw some videos that were made almost two decades after I lived there, and five decades after my father lived there. I'll start with this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI-UOTMyosI

Deerest Drew,

Shower stalls? PLEASE. When I was there it was a square room with shower heads. We called it the gas chamber. Carpets? Ping pong tables? A 40-in TV? Cry me a river, please. Vending machines? Whatever you do, don't walk ALL THE WAY over to Harcombe for food. A laundry? We had to go to Dillard. And the kid keeps saying he can't have nice things? YOU'RE LIVING IN A NICE THING. A heavily upgraded nice thing. OH, and I'm the guy who blessed you with that story about learning our neighbor was going to be a dad while he was still in class.

Here's some other snowflake, named Alan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zCpxpsZu4U

Again, Deerest Alan...

Trash in the hallways? Graffiti? I bet Alan never played sh##head ping-pong. At least our graffiti reminded us to please flush twice, since it's a long way to USC. Poop in the shower? Barf? Unheard of. Small rooms? Go live in a shoebox then and get back with us on a "small" room. No adequate closet space? We always had warm water, probably because we also had RADIATORS for heat in the winter. Bad wifi? Again, cry me a river. The internet was invented when I lived in Johnstone. We had to use a PHONE LINE and a DIALUP MODEM for SLOW INTERNET. Horrors. Hey buddy, your friend's text is nothing new. THE SAME THING happened in E3 in 1995. EXACT. SAME. THING. But I'll one-up you. We actually had a REAL fire, with heat, flames, and smoke. Someone lit a 55-gallon drum trashcan on fire. My roommate pulled the fire alarm legit for that one. And you're worried about security? Johnstone was WIDE OPEN 24-7/365 for the two years I lived there. We didn't have fancy access cards for the dorm.

Oh, and it was worse before I got to Clemson in 1994. I remember as a kid in the 80's walking by Johnstone on a football Saturday. I would see dozens of freshmen sitting on the ledges, listening to loud music on jam boxes, and DRINKING BEER and smoking. And the day I moved in someone was awesome enough to put some huge speakers in the window and blasted "Movin on Up", the theme song from The Jeffersons. It blasted for 4+ hours all around the union. And no one mentioned how convenient it was to have a sink in your room where you could pee and not even have to walk to the bathroom.

I go to campus now and EVERYTHING is brand new, and nice, and fancy.

I fear for our future. Really. Spoiled rotten. I loved my time in Johnstone. I still have several friends I met in Johnstone 20 years later. If I could go back to the same ####hole I lived in in 1994 today, I'd do it again. But I'm afraid I'd be disappointed if I went back and lived there today since it's been upgraded so much and is so much NICER.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

E617 resident for the 99-00 school year...

Jan 31, 2019, 3:35 PM

pre-sent.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you can't attract the best and brightest with a Johnstone***

Jan 31, 2019, 3:37 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

F325 circa 1985-86

Jan 31, 2019, 3:43 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn0Qw9iqPn0

IF you were there, you would know Danny played this album at full blast for the entire fall semester from his Fisher stereo he got for HS graduation.

When I hear this song I can aaaalllmost smell the carpet.

LOLUTZ.

Jan 31, 2019, 3:44 PM

We would have killed, butchered, and eaten those snowflakes in Johnstone back in the late 70s. Or had them mounted and used their pitiful carcasses as decorations for our rooms.

I swear, the toughness that we're instilling in the next generation makes me fear going to war with countries like Liechtenstein or Tuvalu.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo on war.

Jan 31, 2019, 3:52 PM

I'm glad I got there in 1994. That was the last year E and F basically remained original.

When I came back sophomore year in 95-96 they had bathroom stall doors (or curtains) for privacy and shower stalls with curtains. Before the showers were an open room and there were no doors/curtains on the shitters. I'm sure these snowflakes couldn't hack that at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember the stall doors missing.

Jan 31, 2019, 3:59 PM

I didn’t poop for 9 months once. 19B®

Seriously though, I’d hike to the F4 annex. Somehow it was the only hall civilized enough to keep their curtains all year long

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

missing? they were never there.

Jan 31, 2019, 4:31 PM

you tend to get REAL familiar with everybody on the hall's bowel movements when it's just a whim away from prison toilet life. Everything wideass open for all to see.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. Had stalls with no doors or curtains first year

Jan 31, 2019, 4:44 PM

Curtains came second year there.

If you heard someone walk in you stuck you feet out

Jan 31, 2019, 7:10 PM

Under the curtain so they'd know it was occupied.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pre-curtain you just put your head down. NO EYE CONTACT***

Jan 31, 2019, 7:20 PM

And took your own toilet paper with you.

Jan 31, 2019, 7:22 PM

always kept rolls of tp in our room.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, nothing like a pee soaked TP roll

Jan 31, 2019, 7:53 PM

We had problems (usually on Sunday mornings) with finding a stall that hadn't been barfed in or otherwise destroyed.

No, E3 had curtains in August of 1992.

Jan 31, 2019, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Yep. Had stalls with no doors or curtains first year ]

October 1992, not so much.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe they were torn down then. Anyway, didn't have any***

Jan 31, 2019, 7:54 PM

True fact. Of all the friends I made in 6 years at CU,

Jan 31, 2019, 3:56 PM

The only ones I still keep up with I met freshman year in Johnstown.

Friendships forged in the fiery flames of war tend to stand the test of tome.

Pardon the toxic masculinity, but it's a brotherhood

Jan 31, 2019, 4:12 PM

Akin to El Cid (Old Corps), but not on that scale. Same basic principle though.

I never saw any of my hall-mates naked. I am proud of that.***

Jan 31, 2019, 4:00 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wish i could say the same.***

Jan 31, 2019, 4:14 PM

so you never showered the hole time you were there?

Jan 31, 2019, 4:18 PM [ in reply to I never saw any of my hall-mates naked. I am proud of that.*** ]

gross dude

Hey dumb dumb, we have walls and curtains...most of the time

Jan 31, 2019, 4:23 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

never heard of them.

Jan 31, 2019, 4:25 PM

there was a good chance you would get peed on if you washed your hair too long.

Oh, the worst was the time this guy went into the shower

Jan 31, 2019, 4:38 PM [ in reply to I never saw any of my hall-mates naked. I am proud of that.*** ]

when I was in there and tried to steal my towel. He waited until I was rinsing the shampoo too. Some dude told me a guy was stealing my towel. Turned around and took off naked with shampoo still in my hair. Caught him near the urinals, tackled him, kicked the crap out of him in the ribs, got my towel and went back in the shower. When he finally was able to breathe from getting the wind kicked out of him he started yelling a homosexual slur. Dude in the shower was laughing when I went back in. No one ever tried that again.

Really didn't want to walk down the hall naked back to my room. Next time I saw him he called me a #### again. I told him to keep stealing towels if he enjoys being tackled and kicked by naked men. Maybe he's the ###. Dude didn't make the cut anyway from what I heard.

E3, late 70's

Jan 31, 2019, 9:46 PM

Someone thought it was hilarious to steal my roommate's towel on football game days. They stopped when it became evident that he didn't mind strolling all the way down the hall, wet and buck naked, in front of their moms, sisters, and girlfriends.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Message removed by Author

Jan 31, 2019, 4:10 PM

Message removed by Author

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i had a loft, that ish got in my eyes all the time

Jan 31, 2019, 4:13 PM

...and my girlfriend's hair...

well, my reply can be construed as something completely

Jan 31, 2019, 4:20 PM

different, now that you've erased your poast @Ashburn

yeah, sounds like a blacklight would not do well in there***

Jan 31, 2019, 4:24 PM

It wouldn't, regardless of my posts meaning***

Jan 31, 2019, 4:27 PM

must have been asbestos. yeah, go wit dat.***

Jan 31, 2019, 4:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My mistake guys.......I deleted after looking at the

Jan 31, 2019, 8:21 PM

YouTube which noted asbestos removal. Wanted to avoid german-ing the post.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will say one undeniable positive about Johnstone

Jan 31, 2019, 4:33 PM

Best. Water. Pressure. Ever.

EVER.

Johnstone 1983.

Jan 31, 2019, 4:46 PM

I found out when the RA was going to be out of town for the weekend. Went to the local record store (yeah that was a thing) and purchased a 45 of Moon Unit Zappa singing Valley Girl. I recorded it on a 15 minute cassette tape (both sides) and put it in my cassette player, which automatically switched sides at the end of the tape (yeah, that cost me the money I earned over a summer).

I turned the stereo up about 50% so hit play, and left for the weekend (roommate was gone too). When I returned, my neighbors said they had taken the plate off of the outlet in their room that was closest to my stereo. They said they pulled wires until the music stopped.

Had to run an extension cord for the balance of the semester to hear music. We were also sort of hesitant to lean against that wall, but that's how we did stuff back in the day.

You can't do crap like that today's dorms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb21lsCQ3EM

Message was edited by: Memphis Tiger®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had a guy on E3 who was a computer engineer. Back then

Jan 31, 2019, 5:00 PM

the only way to the internet was through phone lines in Johnstone, and a modem. Guy picked the lock to the utility room that had a box with all of the phone wiring. He located the phone line wires for a room that was empty, then patched that line into his room. He had internet 24-7. Guy's probably a hacker for the NSA today.

When our RA left for the weekend once I lived on F5, right near where the annex connected with the tin can part. Anyway, someone got a 5 gallon bucket and some Dawn liquid soap. Poured liquid soap all over the floor and tossed SEVERAL buckets of water down the hall. F Annex had a tile floor. Then everyone ran down the hall and slid. It was a 100 foot slip-n-slide.

76-78, New A then C. Can't remember room numbers.

Jan 31, 2019, 4:48 PM

Just general locations. If you can, you weren't doing it right.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When did A switch to wimmens? Seems like it was all girls

Jan 31, 2019, 4:50 PM

when I got there in '78

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

don't remember, was in A just for '76.***

Jan 31, 2019, 5:26 PM

F5-Annex. Fall of yur 19 hunnerd & seventy eight.

Jan 31, 2019, 4:49 PM

Me, my roommate (RIP) as freshman and a shitload of beer. 18 years old and a license to drink.

Not sure how I made it to be a sophmore.

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I was 2yo***

Jan 31, 2019, 6:09 PM

Annex wuz fer city slickers

Jan 31, 2019, 7:16 PM [ in reply to F5-Annex. Fall of yur 19 hunnerd & seventy eight. ]

Real men stayed in the Tin Cans

F3 for life

#TheStoneRocks

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

B8

Jan 31, 2019, 7:26 PM

have no idea the room number, but near the f'ing hall phone. Dammmm thing would ring, ring, ring, ring - no one wanted to answer the hall phone.

Lots of memories from Johnstone, most of them good. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

best thing about hall phones.

Jan 31, 2019, 7:40 PM

for a semester or so I dated a Converse girl. We got those phone accounts you could get your calls billed to. Or you could make up a number. She had a hall phone too. So kinda hard to track down.

BTW, I have not been to Nu Way since the late 70's.

Yep. Annex was too fancy. Doesn't really count.***

Feb 1, 2019, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Annex wuz fer city slickers ]

Did two stints on E3: 93-94 and 94-95. Loved it!

Jan 31, 2019, 6:16 PM

First taste of freedom.

Didn't have cable tv, or carpet, or internet, or walls in the shower, or curtains on the toilet. Heating/air controlled by the water plant and temperatures were never quite right.

Benefit was being close to the mailroom, Harcombe, football stadium, Fike, intramural fields, Bowman field and the business school. Couldn't have made it easier or more motivating to attend as many football/basketball/baseball games as possible as nothing else to do.

The built-in shelves and sinks in room were awesome. Once had to break into neighbors room by climbing above the gun rack storage. Sneaking in girls was easy, and entertaining for everybody else on the hall to hear. Nice view out window of girls walking by.

You couldn't bribe me to hookup with a girl in the shoeboxes. Those places were tiny. Johnstone A also sucked as the concrete walls made me uncomfortable. Frat dorms were also smaller.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DID MY OLD E318 DOOR STILL SAY "O BRAVE" ON IT?***

Feb 1, 2019, 11:06 AM

Who is going to say their friend on the hall the year before

Feb 1, 2019, 11:05 AM

filled up a shower with a table blocking the shower entrance, and made a hot tub out the showers?

Because that never happened.

nobody?

Feb 1, 2019, 1:17 PM

I'm surprised.

F310. same year you got there.

Feb 1, 2019, 2:30 PM

right over the drive under thing.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 47
| visibility 1