Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Offenses always evolve really fast
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Offenses always evolve really fast

Sep 17, 2018, 6:08 PM

Does it seem like ours seems dated or am I seeing a team waiting for the playoff?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where was I went it...

Sep 17, 2018, 6:11 PM

changed from defenses always dominate the early season games? What, one nights sleep and I'm RIP Van Winkle?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are seeing a lot of young guys rotating in

Sep 17, 2018, 6:12 PM

sometimes it works...sometimes we sputter a little like early in the first half. It'll pay off near the end of the season and playoff time.

Seems like we have a lot of moving parts while we're trying

Sep 17, 2018, 6:14 PM

to get our young guns some experience including at the most important position, QB. That will make the offense seem out of synch at times. Throw in some conservative play calling at times and there you have it. I personally think we have done pretty well with as many freshman as have played although it is a little frustrating at times. A little disappointed in our OL too although we're trying to gain some quality depth there too. Just my 2 cents!

Message was edited by: Orange®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seems like we have a lot of moving parts while we're trying

Sep 17, 2018, 6:20 PM

I agree. Clemson has been shuffling players in and out for three games. I like it. Everyone gets experience, the games are won (not 60-3) pretty handily and I think it even keeps the other teams off balance. Must be challenging for opposing coaches to try to figure out an offense that comes at you in different ways, using so many different players.

Re: Seems like we have a lot of moving parts while we're trying

Sep 17, 2018, 6:23 PM

Also, I think the Tigers will be fresher at the end of games as the season progresses. Could make a big difference in tight contests.

Offensive Football in 2018. . . .

Sep 17, 2018, 6:20 PM

The Tigers offense in my opinion is "still figuring it out"! You have to gain a level of trust with "new starters"! Develop trust to throw over the middle; which is mainly what we have not been seeing last year! You must trust your arm and your read and throw seam routes and routes over the middle of the field. If not your offense "will seem stale"! Safe throws won't get it done!
Part of me thinks the OC's think everybody has the type talent we have on the edges. Maybe in practice there is no time to throw it over the middle. Maybe they get in the game and b/c it didn't work In practice they don't even try it during the game.
It works on inferior talent laden teams. It won't work against the Bama's, Georgias and Ohio St's of the football world.
Don't worry: "if Etienne keeps having 162 yards in a game or similar; our offense will suddenly open way up"! Play action passes will suddenly become that much more effective!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Offensive Football in 2018. . . .

Sep 17, 2018, 6:58 PM

Clemson Offensive Stats through 3 games.

TEAM STATISTICS
STAT Rank
Offensive Total Yards 513.00 20
Offensive Rush Yards 226.00 32
Offensive Passing Yards 287.00 38
Average Score For 38.00 42

It may not look pretty but it is effective

Why are we okay being the ~35th best offense

Sep 17, 2018, 8:09 PM

but there would be an uproar if our defense was that low?

There is no reason why we shouldn’t at least be top a 20 offense, and probably top 10 based on our talent.

I realize it’s early, but our current offensive rankings will be very disappointing if they don’t improve considerably.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Why are we okay being the ~35th best offense

Sep 17, 2018, 11:11 PM

Stats are heavily skewed in the beginning of the season due to teams beating up on cupcakes while we're focused on building depth. If our yards stay right at about 500/game, we'll most likely be in the top 10-15 (for reference Mizzou was #8 with 502 yards/game in 2017). Also our yards per play is currently ranked 16th with 7.43/play if that holds constant we would end the year around top 3-5 using last year's rankings.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: Offenses always evolve really fast

Sep 17, 2018, 8:04 PM

Dated? It all depends on how you look at it. In its revived form, our O is much newer than Bama or UGA offense. Our offense is based in the 1940s- late 50s single wing combined with the veer from the 50s-60s.

Sep 17, 2018, 11:00 PM

Our offense just looks out of sync maybe the 2 QB system. Ranked 35th with a 5th year QB and those 5 star receivers we have. We are not holding anything back for later in the season for sure. The offense is not productive. We have played alot of players but still we are not in sync for some reason.

Sep 18, 2018, 12:08 AM

...and our offense is following a "process", which is often a frustrating process, but it is "becoming"... (to use an old 70's term), and I believe that when it all comes together, we'll have an offensive freight train running down the track. Just WAY too much talent on the field not to [take/make] advantage if it!

Go Tigers!!!

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic