Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Of three Power 5 undefeated teams, ND has best resume
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,885

Of three Power 5 undefeated teams, ND has best resume

Oct 21, 2018, 12:44 PM

Things can and will change, but if CFP rankings came out today (which they don't), hard to argue against Notre Dame being #1.

ND's opponents have a combined record of 13-16 against other Power 5 teams.
Clemson's opponents have a combined 8-12 record using same analytics.
And Bama's opponents are a putrid 8-21 against other Power 5 teams.

Notre Dame has the best win to date of the three (Over Michigan in Week 1) and really good wins over Stanford and Virginia Tech.

Clemson and Bama share Texas A&M as the best win to date...with Clemson doing it in College Station but Bama doing it by a more convincing margin in Bryant Denny.

The first poll comes out after next week's games, so Bama and LSU in two weeks from now will certainly be a factor in polls in week 2. Clemson has FSU this week and ND has Navy (who won't help them much).

So....just thinking out loud...assuming ND and Clemson win Saturday...one could make the argument that either Notre Dame or Clemson should be #1 with Bama #3.

We all know, however, that won't happen as Bama is getting a bunch of love for killing bad teams.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Of three Power 5 undefeated teams, ND has best resume

Oct 21, 2018, 1:07 PM

Committee has consistently said how you win and game control are important.

Anyone with 2 eyes who has watched all 3 teams play can see that even after adjusting for opponents, Bama has looked like the best. I don't see anyway they aren't #1. Their QB1 hasn't taken a snap in the 4th quarter yet.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 1:13 PM

Agree with you Bama deserves #1 for now. Also I don’t know why ND keeps getting so much credit for the VT win. They had just lost to Old Dominion. Michigan yes, OD no.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson and Bama would pistol whip Michigan

Oct 21, 2018, 2:08 PM

They are slow

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 1:12 PM

Agreed.
If ND wins out they are in.

Oct 21, 2018, 1:15 PM

Resume'? Come on now, watch them play. I said it earlier,ND scores at most 13 on CU defense and that may be generous.

Oct 21, 2018, 1:47 PM

Agree based on criteria. But that is why none of this matters until the season is over. The poll starts early because soooooooo many people like to fantasize. Who cares. Once all the games are played there will be enough information to pick 4 teams. Some will always disagree but the committee has done a helluva job so far. I would have much rather played OSU last year but that doesn't mean I thought the committee got it wrong choosing Alabama. I did not like that Bama got extra rest, but it's hard to say they weren't the four best teams. Wait. All the games will be played, and guess what the committee will pick the four best.

Oct 21, 2018, 1:56 PM

Every fan thinks there is bias. https://www.cornnation.com/2014/12/14/7351623/espns-secret-hate-list-revealed
Remember we were #1 last year. The four teams matter more than how they are ranked.

Oct 21, 2018, 2:05 PM

You left out the infamous eye test (for a refresher, listen to any audio of Heather Dinich). With that, Clemson and Bama zoom far ahead of ND.

True on eye test

Oct 21, 2018, 3:12 PM

can't argue that.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 2:44 PM

They may have the best resume, but they are certainly not one of the top 4 teams. LSU would beat them, as would Alabama and Clemson. Their is probably a few more than would beat them.

Notre Dame & Michigan Both Have Huge Question Marks

Oct 21, 2018, 2:50 PM

To me: both the iwish(they were Clemson) and the wig-Irene's have major question marks. Neither have been particularly explosive on offense. Even against teams they are supposedly superior than! They are just ok in that department. Both have solid defenses but what offensive juggernauts have they faced? We have played a couple of senior QB's projected to get drafted another in Mond who was a 5 star recruit and being coached by Jimbo Fisher.
They really give them the benefit of the doubt and are poor reporters because they can't allow themselves to be unbiased. Those teams have issues as do most teams including us(punting).
If I were looking at 1 loss teams Texas gets in over Meat-chicken!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 3:11 PM

Hoping for the Tigers to start with gimme over Notre Dame in semifinals. Speed, talent and athletic ability of defense and skill layers are not close. Brian Kelly would really have to outcoach Dabo and OC’s for Irish to come out on top. BV and defense would fare well against ND.

As for Bama, their SOS improves greatly with LSU and Even AUB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Umm, Notre Dame is technically NOT a Power 5 team...

Oct 21, 2018, 3:34 PM

...but I get your point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Michigan was a good win for ND. That’s it

Oct 21, 2018, 3:48 PM

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,885
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic