Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OK, I'm proof grown men can get hand, foot, and mouth
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 485

OK, I'm proof grown men can get hand, foot, and mouth

Jan 22, 2019, 7:58 PM

crud. Have about 10 spots on my hands, several on each foot, and it hurts like crap to swallow any food rougher than pudding. Worst part are the spots on the pads of my fingertips. I can feel them typing this post.

Hey, maybe my posts will get shorter now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OK, I'm proof grown men can get hand, foot, and mouth

Jan 22, 2019, 8:01 PM

"Hey, maybe my posts will get shorter now."

$50 if you'll make out with camcgee®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

neither one is a quozell***

Jan 22, 2019, 8:03 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hard to pontificate with brevity.***

Jan 22, 2019, 8:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was one of your kids that had it last week?

Jan 22, 2019, 8:50 PM

I remember someone talking about it

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. 1yo got it bad. 5yo got it too but not as bad.

Jan 22, 2019, 9:36 PM

Now I've got it, probably the least bad. Just agrivating.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man, you or one of your family seem to be sick all the time.

Jan 22, 2019, 9:39 PM

Move out of Columbia.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DUDE!!!!

Jan 23, 2019, 7:57 AM

That SUCKS.

I had it in 2012.

I was working night shift as a mechanic and started feeling like A-S-S.
I had spots on my hands and my throat hurt. I called my wife and complained.
She asked me to take off my boots and look at my feet.... yep... spots.

Apparently when adults get it, it is WAYYYY worse than when kids get it and it is very somewhat rare.

It is NOT the same as Hoof and Mouth, which is something that cloven-hoof animals get - Being from Lexington, this is often confused.

I bet over half of my fingernails and toenails turned black and fell off from this, but they eventually grew back... so you have this to look forward to, Tiggity®.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Dang. Here's hoping I get a milder case.

Jan 23, 2019, 8:49 AM

But I'm still going downhill each day. This is technically day 3 since first symptoms. Honestly, I don't LOOK nearly as bad as my 5yo, and especially my 1yo. I don't have it on my face (exterior), just in mouth/throat. Also have it on hands and on my feet. It doesn't look too bad, but I have never had so much sensitivity to things. Every fingertip has a spot, and hurts. Turning the dial on my deodorant this morning HURT. Typing hurts. Swallowing hurts. It's on my tongue too, so that hurts. Every step I take hurts (feet). And other than the sensitivity, there's also this weird itching feeling. Kind of like halfway between an itch and pain. Cold water/ice helps. For maybe 5-10 minutes.

Anyway, I don't LOOK bad, no fever, so I technically can pull off working. After doing some research, I discovered we got the A6 version, which is more severe, comes out in winter instead of warm weather, spreads beyond your hands and feet, has a more severe bumps/blisters, and effects adults as much as kids, and lasts 2-3 weeks instead of 7-10 days. It first appeared in 2008 in Finland and is now as common as the regular foot and mouth, which is LESS SEVERE.

I'll just take it day by day, and hope I turn the corner soon. Waiting for that first day when it starts getting better instead of worse. Was about 3-4 days getting worse for the kids then they started improving. They're a week out getting better now and still have bumps, but are otherwise ok. 1yo had it so bad the skin peeled on his fingers. We just kept putting lotion on them and that's all you can do really. 5yo ran a fever before getting the spots. 1yo and I did not run a fever. Weird.

The only adult I've ever known to get it is functionally

Jan 23, 2019, 9:30 AM [ in reply to DUDE!!!! ]

retarded, so much so that I thought it was a one off case....Apparently not, I see.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well

Jan 23, 2019, 9:38 AM

you're not wrong

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since we're sharing

Jan 23, 2019, 9:08 AM

ICTyke started daycare 9 months ago and has had it 3 times already (spring, summer, fall)- along with every other strain of the mosh pit of germs that Lexington shares these days (including the flu last week, which he gave to me). Me and ICShe have avoided, but it looks pretty miserable. Multiple toenails shed last time for the little guy, as well as his hands and feet fully peeling like a reptile.

Also, with the 7-10 day version, by the time you see the spots, etc, it's over and only a few more days until all symptoms are gone. The ghost fever a few days prior to that is when it is setting in and most contagious. As long as you don't share bodily fluids (spit, blood, poop) you won't spread it between family members.

It really does seem like Lexington is the epicenter of all the flu/HFMD/respiratory illnesses that have been repeatedly spread over the last several years. I guess I would feel that way since that's where I am.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We had one kid in daycare, and our 2nd did not go.

Jan 23, 2019, 9:31 AM

First kid was sick all the time due to being there, 2nd obviously was not.

The upside is that now that he is 15, our first kid never gets sick, and our 2nd seems to be out of school once a month with one bug or another. I think kid #1 could withstand an ebola outbreak.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have learned I had a sheltered childhood

Jan 23, 2019, 10:27 AM

Only child. No day care. Had a nanny/grandparents take care of me. Went to a private school. So no lice, RSV, foot and mouf, lice, etc.

FFWD to today. Have 3 children, ages 1-10yo. They're all in daycare+preschool+public elementary school. Therefore, I'm learning all about (and getting) foot and mouf, lice, and all the other bugs kids get that I never had the honor of suffering through. I'm playing catchup. Lice and foot and mouf are new ones this year. Unfortunately I never know about these things other than through hearing about them, until they strike. Then I'm instantly educated.

I haven't had the privilege of

Jan 23, 2019, 11:08 AM

dealing with lice yet, but that makes my fuggin skin crawl just thinkin bout it.

It is undoubtedly coming. I swear he's been at daycare for 9 months and with the fever/sickness rules he's spent 4-5 months out of daycare "sick" while we're paying for daycare. It's like he goes for 1.5-2 weeks, gets sick, sits out a week, repeat. Mostly colds, but worse stuff mixed in too. They got a pretty sweet system- especially with the slave wages they pay the impoverished ladies that watch the kids.

The worst part of all of it is- I used to NEVER get sick. Like one cold every two years and no missed days at work. All my sick time was spent on "rut fever" and "strut fever" in April and October. Nowdays, he's bringing all thatshit home and infecting ME with it.

actually, there's ZERO scientific evidence that

Jan 23, 2019, 9:28 AM

you're a grown man.

Replies: 15
| visibility 485
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic