Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do Any OF You Tiger Fans Root For The ACC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

Do Any OF You Tiger Fans Root For The ACC?

Dec 10, 2018, 2:03 PM

When I read SEC-based forums I just don't get it. I don't see how a fan from any team can root for their "conference" with as much, if not more, passion for their own program.

I honestly don't care what happens with other ACC schools unless it somehow helps Clemson. Otherwise I hope that most programs get beat downs and stay down. I can't think of many scenarios where I could root for teams like UNC, NC State, Louisville just to name a few. I just don't like them. (I would add Maryland to the list if they were still in the ACC).

The only thing I can guess is that crappy programs like South Carolina ride the coat-tails of Solid SEC programs that are actually winning titles and by their rooting for the SEC that somehow makes them feel like winners when they still are worthless.

Do any of you root for the ACC? I am not talking a casual thing but with the same fanaticism seen by SEC fans?

I don't know about you folks, but win Clemson's season is over I shut it down.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

I don't***

Dec 10, 2018, 2:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't***

Dec 11, 2018, 3:02 PM

I generally want the conference to do well. There is no pride winning against poor competition so the better conference the better our resume. We shouldn't have to defend a weak schedule. I admit I wanted to see Syracuse beat Notre Dame or Pitt beat UCF. I didn't watch either game though.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do Any OF You Tiger Fans Root For The ACC?

Dec 10, 2018, 2:08 PM

No way, Jose....

I usually root for the comet or asteroid.

Dec 10, 2018, 2:09 PM

Depends. If they are playing Bama or USuC, then yes. But even against Bama it's half hearted. My two favorite teams are, and have always been, Clemson and whoever is playing the Coots.

I root for the ACC because/when it helps Clemson not in plac

Dec 10, 2018, 2:09 PM

e of Clemson or equal to Clemson.

I also hate the SEC and BIg 10 homerism. So often rooting for the ACC team is just as much about wanting to see the other team lose.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

hypocrite much?***

Dec 10, 2018, 2:27 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 2:12 PM

Whenever there is an ACC vs SEC matchup you see a lot of ACC! ACC! ACC! Posts on here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

True but a least half of them are mocking the SEC chant. As

Dec 10, 2018, 2:14 PM

if another team can win something for you.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: True but a least half of them are mocking the SEC chant. As

Dec 10, 2018, 2:18 PM

That’s a lame excuse people use to make themselves feel better about it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You would know...You are the Gold Standard of Lame Excuses.

Dec 10, 2018, 2:25 PM

You certainly crow about the SEC doing your heavy lifting

Dec 10, 2018, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Re: True but a least half of them are mocking the SEC chant. As ]

Not surprising that sarcasm is beyond the mental capacity of a chicken.
ACC, ACC, ACC!

It just means something.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 10, 2018, 4:28 PM

Yep. I’ll spell it out. We you see ACC, ACC, ACC from Tiger’s it’s because we’re mocking coots.

I’d prefer that ACC teams win games against the SEC and/or the B1G, but if they don’t that’s their problem not the Tiger’s........EXCEPT for UNCheat. If UNCheat goes 0-1000, I’ll want 0-10,000.

Dec 11, 2018, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Re: True but a least half of them are mocking the SEC chant. As ]

Yeah, I can get caught up in that on occasion, but it feels more like anti-“SEC-SEC!” chanters sentiment than genuine interest in an ACC team doing particularly well.

If I could be so bold as to speak for some portion of our fan base, I would say we really don’t give a rat’s rear end about the other teams in our conference. Rather, we resent the communal worship of Bama football, Kentucky basketball, etc.

With regard to SCar it seems almost like a cruel joke - that the cool kids invited you to their party just so they could pick on you. Sure, occasionally you kiss a pretty girl at the party, but at the end of the night you’re all alone with your imagination to soothe you to sleep and keep you coming back for more.

WL

Dec 10, 2018, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Do Any OF You Tiger Fans Root For The ACC? ]

that's just to tick off the house coots. I promise you, you won't see many Clemson fans beating their chest about Duke winning an NCAA tourney title. Though you might see a few doing so when UVA wins the Belk Bowl.

Fork Duke !***

Dec 10, 2018, 2:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 10, 2018, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Do Any OF You Tiger Fans Root For The ACC? ]

I grew up in the upstate.

Half of my clemson friends were Duke basketball fans. The other half were UNC basketball fans.

The same as USC fans and basketball.

Dec 10, 2018, 2:23 PM

No self respecting Tiger would have a Coot for a friend. Family maybe. But then again you can't choose your family.

I kid of course. :)

Dec 10, 2018, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Do Any OF You Tiger Fans Root For The ACC? ]

Of course when you say half your friends, you mean half of the two. One was dookie fan, and one was a UNCheat fan.

I've only know one Clemson fan out of hundreds that gave a #### for either of those teams or schools.

That's a lie, but I'm not surprised by it...You lie a lot***

Dec 10, 2018, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Do Any OF You Tiger Fans Root For The ACC? ]

Didn't have many Clemson friends, did you?***

Dec 10, 2018, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Do Any OF You Tiger Fans Root For The ACC? ]

That must've been 30 or 40 years ago. No way in #### half of

Dec 11, 2018, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Do Any OF You Tiger Fans Root For The ACC? ]

Clemson fans would pull for UNCheat nowadays! Three teams I always hope lose...Usuc, UNCheat, and Bama! I want the other ACC teams to do well in football, because it helps us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Do Any OF You Tiger Fans Root For The ACC? ]

all both of them?

They're mocking you and you're too stupid to see it...

Dec 10, 2018, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Do Any OF You Tiger Fans Root For The ACC? ]

shocker it goes right over your head

^^^ THIS !!!***

Dec 10, 2018, 2:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 10, 2018, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Do Any OF You Tiger Fans Root For The ACC? ]

LOL ...... They are mocking you SEC homers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Do Any OF You Tiger Fans Root For The ACC? ]

If you ever hear a Clemson fan chanting ACC ACC ACC, we are mocking up.

Nevertheless have I heard Uga or fla chant sec. this says it all

Dec 11, 2018, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Do Any OF You Tiger Fans Root For The ACC? ]

Hell Kentucky probably wouldn't either

Dec 11, 2018, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Do Any OF You Tiger Fans Root For The ACC? ]

Its because we are making fun of you.

Dec 10, 2018, 2:13 PM

NO!!!!! It’s a cop out for scrub schools like sc, Tennessee, vandy, ol miss, Mississippi state, mizzo, and ugay to ride the Bama train without having to be a Bama fan. They remind me of a leach or virus that feeds in a host.

I don't..***

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

i'll root for them,if it is in our best interest.otherwise no.just can't forgive or forget the way we were treated with the probation penalties in the early 80's.intensified more recently when the tarholes should have been given the death penalty for their egregious academic violations,but were given a slight tap on the wrist instead.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 11, 2018, 4:28 PM

Back in 2013, Swofford LITERALLY said "The ACC will not consider punishment against UNC like we did with Clemson". Or something to that effect. I dont remember the exact quote, but he did specifically mention Clemson. Absolute trash.

I hate this conference.

Dec 10, 2018, 2:16 PM

It depends on who the ACC team is and who they are playing. If you are asking do I root for all ACC teams just because they are ACC teams .... h e l l NO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 2:18 PM

FOOTBALL - During the bowl season, I want the ACC to win more than the SEC, I want the ACC to win the head to heads with the SEC, and I like when anyone in the ACC takes out u5c. As far as the rest of it, I don't care about any individual ACC team other than the Tigers.

Dec 10, 2018, 2:21 PM

I have family members who graduated from Ga Tech and 3 of the 4 NC schools, so I do pull for those schools if they are playing anyone else. But once the last family school is out of the tourney I lose interest.

no...never...screw the ACC***

Dec 10, 2018, 2:23 PM

Yes, I pul for other ACC schools when they play OOC.

Dec 10, 2018, 2:27 PM

The stronger the ACC is the stronger Clemson looks when we win it. Tis year it didn't matter. But if we have one loss in a strong ACC we are likely ok. One loss this year would have been disastrous.

Re: Yes, I pul for other ACC schools when they play OOC.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:28 PM

I completely agree with you. No way I am pulling against an ACC school during Bowl season.

I root for Another Clemson Championship***

Dec 10, 2018, 2:39 PM

Dec 10, 2018, 2:44 PM

Yeah, me too basically.

Dec 10, 2018, 2:47 PM

I don't pull for the conference with as much, or more than my team, but if it helps the conference, say in Bowl play, why would you not? The stronger the conference is overall, the better your program looks , especially with the Committee .

Except UNC, I pull for All ACC teams OOC. I do NOT, however, brag

Dec 10, 2018, 2:47 PM

about them to other fans, or use their success as a counter argument to anyone talking smack about my Tigers.

I see nothing wrong with being an ACC homer. They are the teams I know the most, I have the most friends who root for them, and when they are good, we look better beating them.

The big disconnect comes when...just as an example...Clemson pounds the Gamecocks for the fifth straight year and the Gamecocks say “Oh yeah, well Bama is going to kill you!”

What!?! Even if that were true, what does that have to do with them?

null

Nope

Dec 10, 2018, 2:51 PM

Not unless it benefits Clemson pretty directly. I think I was cheering for Florida to snap FSU’s bowl streak about as hard as any game that wasn’t the coot game thanksgiving weekend.

A lot of the NC and VA schools will cheer for conference schools that aren’t their main rival but I’ve always found it pretty pathetic.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:02 PM

Yes. And No.

Yes, i root for other ACC teams because they are ACC. No, i don't do it with the passion that SEC fans do.

First off, I try not to allow the disgust i have for other people's behavior be the determining factor in what i think is right. Sometimes they have just gone down a road i haven't had to go down yet, so if i do, i might have to re-evaluate whether or not they still disgust me. But until the Tigers become as pathetic as the Chickens, we fans don't have to worry about whether chanting "ACC!" is as pathetic as chanting "SEC!" is. NOBODY chants for conference over team. We ALL cheer for what we're proudest of. So if you are chanting for your conference, it's because your team is crap.

Second, not every school in the ACC is the same. Many of us remember the days of Tobacco Rd v The ROY. Those days are almost entirely gone, and I'm proud that Clemson now is the most listened-to voice in the ROY. Everybody knows that Tobacco Rd still looks out for each other but have lost their dominant position; well, if you don't think that the power shift in this conference didn't include a lot of Clemson/Ga Tech "I-gotcher-back" votes, you don't know how these things work.

Third, in most cases, what's good for the ACC IS what's good for Clemson. More success by the rest of the conference means more $$$ for all; if they start supporting us a little bit, that would be nice. Right now, we are a national power and our athletes get plenty of exposure, but if the ACC becomes a premiere league again, we won't have to complain constantly about the lack of respect we get for playing a schedule where our toughest conference rivals are no better than Miss St.

South Carolina fans may be too shameless to admit they are rooting for their second cousins when they cheer for the SEC, but they are smart enough to know they are really cheering for their improved bottom line. The $$$ they get for being the runt of the conference is staggering. In fact, their only hope of gaining ground on us is from their association with the SEC, so they will promote that association as long as they have breath. Without Bama's coattails, they'd never get close enough to sniff our butt. Association by Annihilation does not make you brothers with the rest of the litter. Inflating your own value because you lost badly to a champion is juvenile at best, because you will never be the top dog in your own state, division or conference. They are satisfied with excuses, and call them reasons, but never go home with trophies.

Last, the reason i am okay with supporting the ACC and don't feel hypocritical in the slightest toward SC fans: these same fans once thought their school was too big for the ACC. They left us and the ROY at the mercy of those Tobacco Rd scum when they left to become independent. Yet less than a generation later, they were begging to be allowed to become the runt of the SEC, and are now proud of their status. I guess independence is too hard for some people.

There. You asked, i answered. At Clemson, we don't need the ACC to succeed, but it helps.

Yes. I generally root for ACC teams over other conferences

Dec 10, 2018, 3:03 PM

When other teams win, it helps the perception of the "weak" conference. Also, I get tired of B1G and SEC hype, so anytime an ACC team can beat a team from another conference, I'm all for it.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:13 PM

Yes, definitely. I always pull for Clemson first and after that I'll pull for any ACC team playing against another conference. The more the other teams in the conference win the better for us as a whole, as far as money and reputation.

Go Tigers........Fight Big Cat

Dec 10, 2018, 3:16 PM

I do root for the ACC in rivalry week and bowl games as it helps our tigers out indirectly. But I wouldn't feel even a sense of sadness that an ACC team lost that isn't the Tigers.

Dec 10, 2018, 4:36 PM

Against the SEC or B1G, I pull for ACC teams. There are only 3 teams other than Clemson I have any affinity for, Texas A&M, my grandfather and 2 uncles plus cousins went there(SEC and Jimboob make it hard); TCU, my mother went there; and Wake Forest, they aren't the other 3 NC schools and stuck up for us. I do pull for Citadel, Furman, PC(my dad went there) and Wofford at times, especially when playing uscjr!

I don't

Dec 10, 2018, 3:31 PM

I don't even watch the game! Why would I?

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

i would if it would help them win, if they don't get

Dec 10, 2018, 3:33 PM

better, our SOS will keep us pit of the playoffs

My ring say "Clemson University 1969," not ACC. I only cheer for Clemson. I will never cheer for "Nike U" "Adadias U" or "Big job for my mama U."

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My ring say "Clemson University 1969," not ACC. I only cheer for Clemson. I will never cheer for "Nike U" "Adadias U" or "Big job for my mama U."

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NuP!

Dec 10, 2018, 3:36 PM

ACChee Who?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 3:50 PM

While I don't want the ACC to lose to out of conference opponents, I don't really root for conference teams save wake. I am fine if the following are 0-12 every year: UNCheat, Loserville & ND. I want NC State to be a 6-6 or .500 mediocrity as much as possible. Meanwhile I hope Maryland is 0-12 and losing money (would actually be a worse comment but the events over the summer make that a bit cotter-ish to say).

That being said, I actively pull for Wake in every game but those against Clemson. Those in WS are my death valley alternative home games. Thus the Deac could be 11-1 pre-bowl or 13-2 for the playoff if that ever happens.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:50 PM

I base all of my allegiances based on what is best for Clemson - period.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:52 PM

Not in football. I do pull for the ACC team slightly when watching March Madness.

Dec 10, 2018, 4:09 PM

Let me think for a minute, NOPE

Yes, just to shut coots up. If their were no coots, I would

Dec 10, 2018, 4:14 PM

not care

Not No,

Dec 10, 2018, 4:36 PM

but Hell No!

Dec 10, 2018, 4:41 PM

Hail No! Only if it helps Clemson!

SEC Homers Diminish the Value of their own program

Dec 11, 2018, 9:25 AM

Schools like Vandy, South Carolina, Kentucky, Ole Miss are so happy to merely be an SEC school that they don't seem to be bothered that their programs are not moving the needle up. They just go into "SEC SEC" mode and brag about how hard their conference schedule is and how other, better teams, in the SEC are dominating.

Pro Wrestling (or "rasslin') has a term for guys whose role is to put up a good show but lose: JOBBERS

That's what the bottom 3/4 of the SEC are. Jobbers. As long as those few really Elite SEC schools are winning at the highest level they are just fine. They just enjoy drawing the paycheck and continue being a perennial loser.

There is a whopper of a difference in "needing" a team from your conference to win and rooting for them and bragging how good the league is. When I need a school like UNC to beat a team to make the Clemson look better I pull for the team while pinching my nose and I sure as heck won't be barging about their win.

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

I don't... makes it easier to recruit against FSU and/or

Dec 11, 2018, 9:33 AM

Miami as well as the North Carolina schools when they suck.

Nope. Never. HATE the acc.***

Dec 11, 2018, 3:35 PM

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic