Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Notre Dame lost more than the game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Notre Dame lost more than the game

Aug 28, 2019, 7:29 AM

Last year when the Tigers whooped them. They lost credibility with the committee. I feel like the lack of a conference championship game combined with a blowout loss will hurt them down the road. I know its not supposed to but i think it will.

At some point, they are gonna need a 13th game to level the playing field or they might get slighted.

You cannot get a playoff bye basically as an undefeated and then get blown out and expect to not get slighted next time possibly.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Notre Dame lost more than the game

Aug 28, 2019, 7:34 AM

Doubtful. They played us closer than Bama did.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 28, 2019, 7:37 AM

Yes but bama played oklahoma too before us. Notre dame had a bye while we played pitt.

So had ND played Pitt, and won...

Aug 28, 2019, 9:29 AM

their credibility would still be in tact?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Aug 28, 2019, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame lost more than the game ]

How can anyone know if OK was better than ND? If ND goes undefeated they will not be left out of the playoff. They are ND not UCF.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 28, 2019, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame lost more than the game ]

Bama was more tired than the Irish.

The playoff needs to require....

Aug 28, 2019, 7:34 AM

Either conference champions only OR have a game during the week of conference Championships that is between the top two teams not in a Championship game. Winner of that game is also eligible in addition to the conference champions. Makes that week an elimination week similar to a quarterfinals.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Until the Bee Bee Heads stop getting preferential treatment

Aug 28, 2019, 9:10 AM

why would they change anything they're currently doing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I doubt that. If they lost credibility for that loss then

Aug 28, 2019, 9:13 AM

FSU, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Washington should all lose credibility as well.

Hmm.. on second glance, 4 of those 5 teams have not appeared in the playoff again since getting crushed in their semifinals.

Aug 28, 2019, 9:27 AM

The problem last year was that there only decent win came very early in the season.

The only other chance had was against Syracuse who had to play them without their starting QB.

Problem solved this season because UGA is back on their schedule.

If ND beats UGA and Michigan (they won't) and runs the table they will have all the respect they need come decision time.

I maintain that with 1 loss, ND gets left out in favor of other teams with 1 loss who won a championship almost every year. We have yet to see that happen because ND has only been in the discussion for one year of the playoff.

The CFP selection committee would be hard pressed....

Aug 28, 2019, 9:45 AM

to exclude an undefeated Notre Dame team.

About the only way that happens; if there are four other undefeated P5 conference champion teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The CFP selection committee would be hard pressed....

Aug 28, 2019, 11:34 AM

There was no question in my mind they would be in last season, but many people complained about their schedule.

I heard more people try to argue for UGA over ND than over Oklahoma.

I agree that they will be in as an undefeated team in almost every scenario.

That is the case with them and pretty much every single power 5 team.

ND has huge following and will never be excluded because of

Aug 28, 2019, 11:22 AM

ratings

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ND has huge following and will never be excluded because of

Aug 28, 2019, 11:41 AM

Time for them to join the ACC.

Aug 28, 2019, 11:43 AM

ND has a very difficult schedule this year. If they go undefeated, they’re in again for sure. If they have one loss then it’s a tossup and will depend upon how other teams finish the year and other variables, but a one loss ND could still possibly get in this year.

Aug 28, 2019, 11:55 AM

If ND were to join the Mountain West, go undefeated and win the Conference Championship game, they would meet all the criteria and also get in the playoffs every year because their name is ND!

They may have weakened their argument, but given the

Aug 28, 2019, 12:13 PM

same scenario this year, I still believe an undefeated Notre Dame gets in over a 2-loss SEC team. Georgia did not do too much to prove the committee wrong.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it already has hurt them. How many preseason

Aug 28, 2019, 12:17 PM

playoff predictions have you seen that contained Notre Dame? Far as I can find, zero, zilch, nada, gooesegg! This, even though they have a goodly portion of last years team coming back. Many poeple, me included, think they peaked last year, and are now headed back downhill. Time will tell, but things would have to fall absolutely perfect for them to make the CFP this year, IMHO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think it already has hurt them. How many preseason

Aug 28, 2019, 1:51 PM

And people also forget that the last time ND was granted access to a championship opportunity (BCS game vs Bama in 2013) they "lost all credibility" by losing 42-14 while being the #1 seed.

So last year was their chance to prove themselves, and they failed miserably.

Their ONLY claim to continued credibility rests in how bad Clemson also dominated Bama on the scoreboard.

Aug 28, 2019, 2:17 PM

ND lost more than a game in 2015. That was likely the game that would predict the next rising program.

As far as 2018, they went undefeated up until they were whooped - and that is hard to do.

There is no credibility lost or gained since this is a new season. If they are 12-0 again, I bet they will be back in the play-off. It is a new season and last years results really don't mean much. Maybe to some but even "jawja" could not get a bid based on "previous" year.

Keep in mind, we were not competitive in a semi once too. Great teams rise above.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic