Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We're gonna have to get used to being hated
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

We're gonna have to get used to being hated

Jan 23, 2019, 10:56 AM

So far we aren't yet because nationally people overall like us upstaging Bama. Why is that? Because Bama has been the big bad bully for years. People love to hate the bully. Alabama and the Patriots are great examples of that. Also notice how the Warriors were generally well liked in their first championship season, then quickly became hated after keeping up the success.

If we continue to win and dominate for many years, we will become hated. We will no longer be the cool new kids on the block. So we've gotta become thicker skinned as far as criticism and such, because it'll only get worse.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THIS IS A REALLY GOOD POINT

Jan 23, 2019, 11:22 AM

And two things are inarguable:

1) SOME of the hate is entirely unavoidable. To the extent some resentment is either nasty, unsportsmanlike envy or just normal competitive "hate" (because who wants to see their rivals and foes dominate?), this is a natural, unavoidable result of consistent success and/or dominance. We just have to brush this off and not worry about it. There's nothing we can do about it. The folks that have a nastier, bitter level of envy are saying more about themselves than us, and we can't do anything about it anyway. The others who simply "hate" us on a competitive level (but within the bounds of decent sportsmanship) and naturally don't want us to dominate, are simply doing what all of us would do. I would hate it if Carolina were where we are, but I wouldn't have bitter envy over it. Maybe envy, but not embittered envy.

2) On the other hand there is a type of hubris and entitlement that can come with dominance and high level sucess and consistency. We as a fanbase, would be well-served, both for the sake of the image of our program, as well as our own enjoyment as fans, to heed the following:

(a) don't express disdain or condescension to other programs who aren't where we are right now. We weren't always either, and almost certainly won't always be. Don't adjust the standards of assessing teams to be calibrated simply on whether or not they are playoff or championship teams. We weren't always that either.

(b) enjoy the success without losing the ability to appreciate something less. One of these days Clemson may have a *true* rebuilding year, and will finish 8-4, 9-3, etc. and be in a non-playoff bowl. Each year and each team is it's own journey. Don't consider the recent mountaintops to be the bar for acceptability or enjoyability. Don't look through a "championship or bust" lens. The national championship picture isn't the whole of the college football experience, and it shouldn't be seen as all that matters.

Re: THIS IS A REALLY GOOD POINT

Jan 23, 2019, 12:21 PM

Excellent thoughts!

Jan 23, 2019, 1:09 PM [ in reply to THIS IS A REALLY GOOD POINT ]

Both posts are completely correct. We need to enjoy this time of Clemson football, but with grace. Now that isn’t always possible when others, looking at you USuck, and their behavior but for the most part we can. This hate the continued winner is in all sports baseball, NASCAR, pro football, but let’s try our best to remember just 10-15 years ago or some of us can remember 30 or more years ago when we were grateful to get by any in the ACC except Va (back then we owned Va)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Corrected 2(a) for you.

Jan 23, 2019, 1:14 PM [ in reply to THIS IS A REALLY GOOD POINT ]

"(a) don't express disdain or condescension to other programs who aren't where we are right now. We weren't always either, and almost certainly won't always be. EXCEPTIONS: SCar and NCSU. Don't adjust the standards of assessing teams to be calibrated simply on whether or not they are playoff or championship teams. We weren't always that either."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jan 23, 2019, 1:44 PM [ in reply to THIS IS A REALLY GOOD POINT ]

I agree wholeheartedly. I attended all 3 natty games, and I've always said that the best and worst thing to ever happen to Clemson football was winning the national championship. I remember how spoiled and entitled the fanbase got in the 80s after winning our first...it's human nature just because the bar was raised so high in 1981. I love that we have achieved such greatness, and that we've done it the right way. But there is a price to be paid for it. It was bad enough in the 80s BEFORE social media was a thing. I can't imagine what it will be like going forward as Clemson continues to stockpile hardware in the trophy case.

Like everyone else here, I want more championships, and I will continue to support the Tigers to such ends. But the bar has already been raised to an unfathomable height...everyone just needs to know the torches and pitchforks will be camping outside Dabo's door on the day we miss the playoff for the first time.

Re: We're gonna have to get used to being hated

Jan 23, 2019, 11:32 AM

People that love college football, get what Clemson is. Living in close proximity to large numbers of OU fans, I hear the “hate talk” occasionally. My response is always the same. First I laugh, then I ask them if they’ve ever been to Clemson. The response is always the same, “No”. I then tell them they should go see it just once, they’d recognize it and admire it immediately. Game knows game.

Nothing will change

Jan 23, 2019, 11:36 AM

Seriously - do you even college football? There are two kinds of people: those who love college football and those who couldn't care less about it. Forget the second group - they aren't involved in the love or the hate.

The first group is pretty simple to understand. There are Clemson fans and then there is everyone else. Everyone else hates Clemson. Everyone else hates everyone else except the school they are fans of. That's how college football works. Being 'nice' isn't going to get you a thing.

Re: Nothing will change

Jan 23, 2019, 1:11 PM

That may be true if we climb to Alabama’s success, but where we are currently I still think our fans can affect someone’s attitude or opinion of Clemson as a whole

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Don't be a slave to two ideas.

Jan 23, 2019, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Nothing will change ]

There are plenty of people who follow college football who jump from one team to another as the top rankings see teams come and go. Football fans are on a dial. At one end is the people you describe as having only one team and hating everyone else and at another end is the people who call it foolsball.

The OP is correct in that he rightly describes some football fans as full of passion. Either hate or love defines who they favor or hate. As seasons end for their team they often turn their passion from love to hate. I'm like that.

Some of us can't watch a game without loving or hating one team unless we're 'scouting,' a future opponent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2019, 1:12 PM

I look forward to it because when your team is hated you know then that you have reached that elite status and are apart of the elite programs and other wannabe team fans are just flat out jealous of you and hate and despise you and it drives them absolutely crazy

Plus, we still have work to do...

Jan 23, 2019, 1:35 PM

Miami and Pitt each have 5 national championships.... we're only half way to having the most.

Jan 23, 2019, 1:53 PM

Believe it or not, we fans play an important role in how others perceive our program. If we fans show a little levity and common respect in our words and actions, whether we win or lose, most fans of other schools will look more favorably on our program. Rather than hate, we can transform their opinions to respect. There can be envy without hate because envy implies others want to be in the same situation as the Tigers. Those who envy want what others have and if that envy is directed toward and the driving force that seeks that goal others have obtained, that envy is used in a positive light. Perhaps envy was a factor in helping Clemson to become a better football program.

Hate has so many connotations it's difficult to determine if it is true hate or some lesser intent such as "I hate to get up early". True hate eats at the soul and is a greater threat to the hater than the object of that hate.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Envy turns quickly into jealousy, Joe.

Jan 23, 2019, 2:36 PM

Jealousy is as cruel as the grave and if left to thrive will grow into hate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cool new kids on the block?

Jan 23, 2019, 1:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

5, 4, 2, 1, 3

Jan 23, 2019, 2:37 PM

I'm wet.

Jan 23, 2019, 2:24 PM

You know, I'm as passionate as anyone else about my alma mater. But I don't get the whole "hate" thing.
Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but having learned from my old man, multiple coaches, and sportsmen I have admired for many years, I despise smack talk on anyone's part (except in pure fun, see CW). My attitude will always be simply:

"Shut up, shake hands, and spot the ball."

Imo, it will take a long time for people to transfer their..

Jan 23, 2019, 2:28 PM

hate of everything SEC to Clemson. Already, just about every new media outlet has Bama back in the #1 ranked spot. By summer's end ESPiN will return to asking if this Bama team is the GOAT.

We have a ways to go before we're fawned over like the SEC, in fact, it may never happen.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic