Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nothing to see here.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 470

Nothing to see here.

Jul 18, 2019, 12:57 PM

Look over there! It's a racist comment!

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sulfoxaflor-epa-honeybee-colonies-usda-data-200-million-acres_n_5d2bf580e4b0060b11eeb5f1?fbclid=IwAR1lPAsdOCgvgiEFdE3yIECiyVN7AhlaPDEHV47oATAGr9Uk4ID5ZRI8MGU

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean he's a racist and a speceist?

Jul 18, 2019, 1:14 PM

I question why people who grow would want to kill bees. I struggle to understand the logic and after reading the article wondered why the writer couldn't present the other side of the argument to help me decide why it's being done.

OK, Trump's campaign got a lot of money from the Corteva division of DowDupont. Established, accepted and believed. If it the pollenators are killed by the terminator why would farmers use it? Why would DowDupont manufacture it if farmers weren't going to use it and why haven't you explored this enough to explain it to a dumb ole country boy?

FYI, I did not sign up to donate 60 dollar/mo to Earthjustice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's a good bit of content out there, but as near as I

Jul 18, 2019, 1:35 PM

can tell, Rick Perry's EPA is basing the decision on private chemical industry studies that purportedly show the product safe for pollinators. It seems very much in the vein of RJR funding studies about how safe tobacco is, or oil companies funding studies refuting man-made climate change. It's a fox/henhouse move, from appearances. Maybe there's more to it.

As far as why would farmers use it...who knows? Maybe the will, maybe they won't. ClemsonZJ probably has sound anecdotal evidence that smaller farmers won't automatically use it just because it was legalized. Large GMO farmers on the Monsanto/big agribusiness train? Probably, wouldn't you think?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There's a good bit of content out there, but as near as I

Jul 18, 2019, 1:52 PM

I'm not much for allowing the fox to guard the hen house which is what big business studies are. I equally as unimpressed with treehuggers making claims which college 'scientist,' for credentials. The EPA changes positions every time the 'R,' or 'D,' changes at the whitehouse.

I could understand a small time farmer going for the latest greatest product. I saw two year old equipment rusting away behind barns in Nebraska when I was there last. This stuff wasn't antiquated it was plenty good enough to use for another 5 to 7 years but the little guy just had to have what the big guys use. That was one of the downfalls about small farms.

I do not believe farms run by industrial giant and those run by people who know business will use a product which even indirectly prevents plant germination. Someone is going to have to show me how they would survive with less or no fruit/produce growing on their land. It should take but one growing season to figure this out. We should know in a couple months.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting snipped from LA Times

Jul 18, 2019, 2:12 PM

Since not all crops require pollinators, it would stand to reason that farmers and farms that don't require them, would care significantly less about the bee population.

Emails and other records obtained from the EPA through Freedom of Information Act litigation by the Sierra Club, and provided to the Associated Press, show sorghum growers in particular had pressed senior officials at the agency for a return to broad use of sulfoxaflor.

Sorghum growers regard honeybees as just another “non-native livestock” in the United States, lobbyist Joe Bischoff said in a 2017 email to agency officials, and by cutting threats to the bees, “EPA has chosen that form of agriculture over all others.”

I am aware that some crops do not need bees to pollinate.

Jul 18, 2019, 8:38 PM

Most garden type crops do need bees to pollinate and I'm aware that some beans, some peppers and all or most tomatoes do not. They can pollinate with a gentle breeze but that isn't a sure fired way for them. Bees are.

The problem with depending on wind is that it's inconsistent which leave large crop growers picking different stages of maturity of crops in the same field. They usually try to micromanage growth so that a harvest is once and complete in any given section of their land. The goal is to harvest parts of the farm at different times so as to be able to use a fewer number of harvesters both equipment and personnel.

The tomato farmers who lived near me on the mountain just above Dayton, TN planted one field one week, another the next and some of the larger growers planted for three weeks. The idea was to harvest over three weeks instead of trying to harvest so much at one time. Not that each field didn't get harvested twice or more according to weather. Tomatoes are freaky that way.

I honestly do not recall being in their fields with flowers on the tomato plants but when I had four rows, each 54' long of tomatoes of different types from small 2" canning tomatoes, several of the legacy types like Cherokee Purple and frankly the bees were all over all of them. When they started coming in I realized that I had screwed the pooch by planting them all in a 4 row block instead of separating them and isolated them in the far corners of the garden. The ends of the rows have tomatoes which looked like what I planted but those in the middle all shared the same sizes and shapes.

I blamed in on Leer Bees who used jet engines instead of wings. Those little priks screwed me good. My tomatoes were nearly impossible to can. Boil and skin them and then cut them in half to get them in a quart Mason jar. That's not a good look for home canned maters.

If the chemicals are killing the bees we'll know in a couple three months if not sooner. If they are I'll swap sides on this argument in a flash.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

Re: There's a good bit of content out there, but as near as I

Jul 18, 2019, 2:33 PM [ in reply to There's a good bit of content out there, but as near as I ]

Rick Perry is the secretary of the energy democrats dept.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's right, meant Wheeler/Pruitt. Not much difference

Jul 18, 2019, 2:38 PM

between them. Coal industry lobbyist in charge of the EPA, lulz.

Re: You mean he's a racist and a speceist?

Jul 18, 2019, 10:02 PM [ in reply to You mean he's a racist and a speceist? ]

Just shut up. You are a piece of dung. You support an awful person. When you are dead the world will be a much better place. Don't hid behind your fake religion. You do not bekieve in your religion. Youre a fraud.

I pray for you by name every night.

Jul 19, 2019, 7:20 AM

It's had one intended consequence. It has made me love you. From experience I can testify that it is the first best way to prevent hate. Last night I prayed for our leaders too.

I clown too much. I say things to intentionally annoy people. At times I'm condescending and rude. I endeavor not to be that way, but I enjoy it, it is my origin, my natural desire. I'll try to handle my tone with more limits on how I present things and rid myself of bad intents.

I am aware that I am a piece of dung, I do support an awful person, many in fact for we are all awful but some of us, me and Trump specifically, do not cover it up as well as the rest of you. When I die the world may well be a better place.

Religion is awful. It has filled the rolls of helll for by it many have tried to prove they do not belong there and instead of seeking God's righteousness they have tried to establish their own righteousness and condemned themselves by not accepting that we are all unworthy, unfit for God's Holy presence.

I was like that until I came face to face with my human condition, when the Holy Spirit of The Almighty persuaded me to examine myself. I found myself lacking, a piece of dung, an unholy, ungodly man who is unable. I asked Christ into my heart and He entered and saved me but He is still working in me. His work in my heart and life are not finished yet.

I am not a religious person. Religion is making oneself presentable to God. Those who have not Jesus in their hearts are wasting their efforts for man can never be presentable to God without Him. I am a fraud, I know that deep in my soul because I am not what I appear to be. I am a child of God, an adopted son and scheduled to inherit God's throne but I do not behave that way.

I behave like a worldly heathen who lives like tomorrow never ends.

So all the farmers around our apple orchard...

Jul 18, 2019, 1:24 PM

Now keep their own hives. The neighboring farms have strawberries, apples, soy beans, and cucumbers. Within the last decade they went from zero hives, to everyone having their own hives.

Not sure any one of them will change what they spray with due to this ruling.

With all the hive collapses lately there weren't enough bees to go around so everyone got their own.

Here are our hives:

doxgate 2.0

Jul 18, 2019, 1:39 PM

Ineligible user® will be outing your location within minutes.

The super secret method of doxing someone by

Jul 18, 2019, 1:42 PM

right clicking and selecting "search google for image", in this instance, only results in "grass".

I'm fresh out of doxing techniques.

What do?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nothing to see here.

Jul 18, 2019, 1:52 PM

Jesus, great Idea. A good famine is just what America needs.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could probably drop 10 lbs***

Jul 18, 2019, 2:21 PM

Re: I could probably drop 10 lbs***

Jul 18, 2019, 2:38 PM

well, that would not be a problem. No bees=human extinction.

Mosquitoes actually do a lot of the pollinating.***

Jul 18, 2019, 3:01 PM

so do bats, birds, and the wind

Jul 18, 2019, 3:12 PM

but it would set off a chain reaction killing off most of the land base animals and leaving very little bio diversity in our food chain. Maybe not total extinction, but we certainly would not be able to support 7 billion people which would lead to human conflict on a massive scale. Either way, this is not something to toy around with.

i certainly do not think I could live the rest of my life on oat meal and flour.

On 8/29 TL will be a bee killing pesticide.***

Jul 18, 2019, 9:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Robot bees are on the way

Jul 18, 2019, 10:47 PM

"Walmart has filed a patent for autonomous robotic bees, technically called pollination drones, that could potentially pollinate crops just like real bees.

The drones would carry pollen from one plant to another, using sensors and cameras to detect the locations of the crops."

https://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-robot-bees-farming-patent-2018-3

"By reproducing some of the complex wing motion patterns and aerodynamics of fruit flies, in particular, researchers in the university’s newly opened Robohouse, a hub for Dutch expertise, believe they will be able to create swarms of bee-like drones to pollinate plants when the real-life insects have died away."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/09/robotic-bees-could-pollinate-plants-in-case-of-insect-apocalypse

Replies: 19
| visibility 470
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic