Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So why are we deploying troops to the border?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 917

So why are we deploying troops to the border?

Oct 30, 2018, 7:54 PM

Help me, Trumpies. And sorry if Germanic. Lawd knows we can't upset the thread police.

Our troops...

1. Can't engage this caravan.
2. Can't stop drug smugglers.
3. Can't have direct involvement with any of it.

And this caravan...

1. Isn't getting here any time soon.
2. The overwhelming majority has already dropped out and set up in Mexico.
3. Isn't threatening us at all.

I need someone to tell me how this isn't just a big election stunt and how it's not a waste of our money or troops' time.

https://www.apnews.com/1ed851328c584e08bfed5e40ab95a279

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Not as a trumpie

Oct 30, 2018, 8:02 PM

But....

If they aren’t getting here for a while, why not be there waiting on them?

Regardless of engagement if you are face to face with a bunch of armed military, wouldn’t you go ahead and follow suit and setup in Mexico?

A little armed presence isn’t breaking any laws or hurting anybody. And may serve as a deterrent to what’s left of the group from trying to make a run for it.

How aware of the first 1 and 3 are they?

And what recourse is there if there’s a little accidental “warning” shot or two?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not as a trumpie

Oct 30, 2018, 8:06 PM

It's pointless to have them there. It's a law enforcement job. This is all for show.

And I'm not sure your last comment is even worth addressing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Re: Not as a trumpie

Oct 30, 2018, 8:20 PM

You answered your own post and dismissed the one response. You are a scary poaster.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You should see me after about 8 or 9 beers!

Oct 30, 2018, 8:23 PM

#### gets crazy.

Re: You should see me after about 8 or 9 beers!

Oct 30, 2018, 8:25 PM

Libtard

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You should see me after about 8 or 9 beers!

Oct 30, 2018, 8:55 PM

"I don't know how to debate so I just call people names. I'm 13."

It’s the LIB WAY or the Highway.....

Oct 30, 2018, 8:25 PM [ in reply to You should see me after about 8 or 9 beers! ]

??

why tie up local law enforcement on a job

Oct 30, 2018, 8:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Not as a trumpie ]

Potentially bigger than they are when you could use the military?

If it’s nothing but show, wouldn’t it be better for the local law to be doing their normal job?

I think you're asking whys...

Oct 30, 2018, 8:54 PM

To questions whose answer is can't.

The military isn't used to enforce state laws. That's not its purpose. It isn't permitted. This caravan could technically march past them and that's all she wrote.

Also, it's not going to be bigger than them by the time (or if it even) gets here.

Just to be clear

Oct 30, 2018, 9:09 PM

Doesn’t matter how many people show up (who,why, or how) our answer is: we just say “welcome to America, McDonald’s is to the left, Wal-Mart is to the right, Please let us know if you have any questions?”

Nope. Either/Or Fallacy right there.

Oct 31, 2018, 7:28 AM

The point is that it is not a military matter, it's a waste of money, and it's just to put on a show. Don't employ Either/Or fallacy because you just want soldiers to frighten them.

immigration is a state law?***

Oct 31, 2018, 12:14 AM [ in reply to I think you're asking whys... ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since when is it a Pentagon matter?***

Oct 31, 2018, 7:29 AM

Since when is national security a Pentagon matter?***

Oct 31, 2018, 7:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This isn't a national security matter.

Oct 31, 2018, 7:46 AM

It's in response to this "caravan" which isn't even a caravan anymore. The overwhelming majority have already dropped out.

C'mon, man. The military can't stop immigration. It's in the #### laws.

The border patrol does not have the money nor the resources

Oct 30, 2018, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Not as a trumpie ]

to adequately enforce our border. The military has 1.4 million personnel and a $600 billion+ budget. They can.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's get real.

Oct 31, 2018, 7:30 AM

This isn't being done for any lack of resources or money, and our border patrol certainly has what it needs to stop this pseudo caravan.

This is a dog and pony show for the election. And the idea that we will start deploying our military to the border is ludicrous. They have far more pressing issues.

So let's check in on people who know more about this...

Oct 31, 2018, 7:36 AM

Than any of us in this thread.

This is stupid, stupid, and insulting to our troops. Stop supporting this and support them.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/30/politics/trump-troops-border-criticisms/index.html

Why is it also extra stupid? Because the law limits what they can even do! Those favoring this don't get the law.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/10/31/federal-law-limits-what-us-troops-deployed-at-the-border-can-do/

From the article

Oct 31, 2018, 7:42 AM

“Instead, their role will largely mirror that of the existing National Guard troops — about 2,000 in all — deployed to the border over the past six months, including providing helicopter support for border missions, installing concrete barriers and repairing and maintaining vehicles. The new troops will include military police, combat engineers and helicopter companies equipped with advanced technology to help detect people at night.”

So it may or may not be the best use, but let’s not act like they’ll be sitting there playing canasta while illegals stream past them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can read between the lines in that paragraph...

Oct 31, 2018, 7:45 AM

"Spending a whole lot of money to do something unnecessary."

Just as a matter of personal preference,

Oct 31, 2018, 7:49 AM

I’d rather them be doing all the things listed in that paragraph than getting killed needlessly in a hellhole like Afghanistan. If it’s doing that, or sitting at the base staring at each other between drills, why not?

Well, of course.

Oct 31, 2018, 7:51 AM

But we're getting into that either/or again, and it's not necessary.

It's misuse of the military and a waste to stir up votes. I'm not comfortable with a president doing that.

I’m truly on the fence....

Oct 31, 2018, 8:36 AM

These “caravans” are getting a bit old to a lot of people in how brazenly they highlight the weakness in our current border laws and enforcement. I think the military action is as much a response to that as an election ploy.

No caravan, no troops.....the caravan timing just happened to be politically expedient.

Could these duties be handled better by the private sector? #### yes, I’d have to turn in my fiscal conservative card if I didn’t believe that. Was it in the budget to hire the private sector to do these things? I don’t know for a fact, but I don’t think so, and from that standpoint this might be an expensive end-around.

I don't believe we're spending as much as everyone thinks.

Oct 31, 2018, 7:04 PM [ in reply to I can read between the lines in that paragraph... ]

The personnel get paid one way or the other and the fuel, equipment and other cost couldn't be the millions associated with the activity. It's no as if we're going to a day labor place and picking up workers then stopping by the Rental and having equipment delivered to the site or paying heavy equipment operators wages to anyone.

The exercises are good training for the troops and support in case we have another Red Dawn. Besides that Patrick Swayze is dead and we haven't found a replacement for him yet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they are coming, and only trump can save us

Oct 31, 2018, 8:13 AM

a vote for democrats is like letting this roving band of young male criminals rape your grandmother. You do not want that right?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree its being done for politics BUT

Oct 31, 2018, 8:42 AM

the commander-in-chief can deploy troops to protect the border to stop an invasion. That's a core function of the office under Article II and no law passed by Congress can preempt the Constitution. Nor do progressive notions of an open border preempt the Constitution.

If there is a column of foreigners marching on the border, the President has the authority to use the Army to stop it. If there is a flotilla of boats approaching our coast, the President has the authority to use the Coast Guard and Navy to stop it. If there are aircraft approaching our airspace, the President has the authority to deploy the Airforce to intercept them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dood, next it will be having an actual border is rassiss***

Oct 31, 2018, 8:53 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

your white privilege is showing***

Oct 31, 2018, 8:56 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: your white privilege is showing***

Oct 31, 2018, 9:45 AM

dumber than a rock and able to thrive, go 'merica.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dumber than a rock

Oct 31, 2018, 9:53 AM

but smarter than I ran

This isn't an invasion.***

Oct 31, 2018, 1:23 PM [ in reply to I agree its being done for politics BUT ]

Seems to me it's mostly political...

Oct 31, 2018, 8:58 AM

As I don't see the practical purpose of sending troops there at this time.

That said, I wonder if the President is overplaying his hand here. We know his base is absolutely eating this up, but I don't know if this move has much appeal to those more in the center.

overplaying his hand?

Oct 31, 2018, 9:04 AM

2 years in and there is zero sign of “the wall” and his base knows it.

If anything he is playing catch-up on this issue.

I think there's wider support

Oct 31, 2018, 9:07 AM

for a wall than there would be for sending troops to the border right now. Just the perception I have reading around.

My point is...if this is being done to drum up votes for next week, and I believe that is the main factor, I'm not sure it would actually be effective. That's what I'm talking about with overplaying his hand.

They are there to support the border patrol...

Oct 31, 2018, 9:25 AM

seems to me, you can agree or disagree with the military being used this way, but to act like you don't know why they were sent seems a bit disingenuous or perhaps overly argumentative.

Any number of reports or WH statements make it clear that the military will be supporting the BP with additional patrols to spot illegal crossing, logistics support, etc.... But you likely already knew that.

Like most things, Trump as made stupid statements on the caravan thing (claiming there are islamic terrorists in the group without proof, etc...) and flamed it up for political gain. But, there is truth to the point that we should be prepared for the arrival of a caravan of x thousand people trying to cross our border illegally.

I do not have any problem with using the military in this fashion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They are there to support the border patrol...

Oct 31, 2018, 1:25 PM

Yep, I did. Stop calling out my MO!

Yes, Trump's rhetoric on it is stupid.

Overall, it's unnecessary. If this caravan was arriving in full force next week? Okay, I get it. But that's not the case, so thus it again looks more like a show.

Read the Constitution, it has the answers.

Oct 31, 2018, 9:56 AM

The President and the Military's job is to ensure the security of sovereign US territory by enforcing its borders.

The military has 3 basic goals in the Constitution:
-Protect the domestic US homeland
-Protect the US sovereign borders
-Protect US economic interests abroad.

One of the Presidents explicit job duties IS to ensure our borders are protected. He is also Commander in Chief of the military, thus they go hand in hand.

The military going to the border to stop people from crossing it is something the Constitution has intended to be the military's purpose since the document was commissioned. Problem is, our military has either never been large enough to guard all of our borders, or was too engaged in extensive warfare abroad to do so. Thus, we as a country have gotten lazy with our border.

This is one reason why we have a nearly wide open border as well: we have misappropriated the domestic responsibilities of our military, and this has created an unnecessary policy gap.

If we had followed the Constitution like we SHOULD have been doing all along, the majority of our military installations would be along our borders, we would have tight border security, almost no illegal immigration, and border control/immigration would not be the significant political issue that it is today.

So, this may be surprising to you, but Trump and the military are actually following what the Constitution tells them to almost to the letter.

"Our troops...

1. Can't engage this caravan.
2. Can't stop drug smugglers.
3. Can't have direct involvement with any of it."

1. They can engage the caravan. There are rules of egagement, however. Our troops will ot engage in violence unless they are only reciprocating. There are reports that guns and IEDs have been discovered among some of the caravan migrants. If these people start shooting when they get to the border, our military can and will shoot back. Hopefully it doesnt come to violence.
2. They can if they know the individual is a smuggler. These are there orders.
3. This is not true. If they cant have direct involvement, why are they there? Being present IS direct involvement, so you're being fallacious here.

"And this Caravan...

1. Isn't getting here any time soon.
2. The overwhelming majority has already dropped out and set up in Mexico.
3. Isn't threatening us at all."

1. ETA is sometime within the next week, before the midterms are over. Their speed has picked up immensely thanks to many Left wing political organizations in the US providing trucks and other transportation, as well as food and clothes and materials to assist them circumvent border security. This is well documented.
2. As of yesterday, about a quarter of the 7,000 have chosen to stop in Mexico, however an estimated 3,000 have joined the Caravan in Mexico, and there are 2 other caravans behind this one, the 2nd Caravan pushing 4,000+ people and the 3rd Caravan numbering close to 3,000 and growing.
3.You should see this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr7svaNI_3c

Xenophobia***

Oct 31, 2018, 10:23 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bet the Romans wished they had been

Oct 31, 2018, 10:46 AM

a little more Xenophobic

Barbarians at the gates!

Oct 31, 2018, 6:16 PM

Common misconception, but keep it up.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So why are we deploying troops to the border?

Oct 31, 2018, 11:39 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO_ptEOYFpw

This it about economic security...

Oct 31, 2018, 11:58 AM

which is the responsibility of our three branches of government to provide. I believe everyone is ignoring this factor of the issue of allowing masses of people to enter our country who do not have the skills to support themselves.

It's impossible to provide for an unlimited number of people with a limited amount of resources. Unless you believe our resources for feeding, housing, clothing and medical care are unlimited we will eventually have to ration some of those resources we call social programs.

As demand for our resources rises we will face either higher taxes, greater deficits or sick, hungry people who live on the streets. See sanctuary cities for reference and check their tax rates, deficit spending and number of homeless in the streets.

We can not turn this nation into a sanctuary city. We will eventually run out of resources.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So why are we deploying troops to the border?

Oct 31, 2018, 4:49 PM

It is purely politics. Trump and Fox are creating an issue with this caravan "invasion".

The fact is that illegal immigration is at a 15 year low but there are enough xenophobes in Trump's

base that creating this fiasco will actually motivate them to vote.

The 'caravan' is poor people who won't reach our border until sometime in December. They still

have about a 1000 miles to walk.

Trump sending troops before the midterms to get the trumpers out to the polls.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 43
| visibility 917
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic