Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not a surprise, but there is no difference in the top 5
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Not a surprise, but there is no difference in the top 5

Oct 23, 2019, 3:05 PM

I get tired of the same old narrative that Clemson, and only Clemson, plays cupcakes, has the easiest schedule and is not deserving of a playoff spot.

Since Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma and LSU have all played and won seven games, I thought it fair to compare results and the relative strength of the opponents (All numbers rounded).

Clemson - Our updated SOS is 43rd and our Sagarin Rating is 97 (Average Opponent is 38th and 69)

10th in Total Offence (505 YDS/game) against an average opponents total defense ranking of 82nd (410 YDS/Game)

5th in Total Defense (256 YDS/game) against an average opponents total offense ranking of 70th (398 YDS/Game)

10th in Scoring Offence (40 Pts/game) against an average opponents scoring defense ranking of 83rd (30 Pts/Game)

8th in Scoring Defense (12 Pts/game) against an average opponents scoring offense ranking of 71st (28 Pts/Game)

Alabama - Updated SOS is 52nd and Sagarin Rating is 101 (Average Opponent is 36th and 70)

9th in Total Offence (513 YDS/game) against an average opponents total defense ranking of 66th (390 YDS/Game)

26th in Total Defense (321 YDS/game) against an average opponents total offense ranking of 73rd (393 YDS/Game)

4th in Scoring Offence (49 Pts/game) against an average opponents scoring defense ranking of 33rd (29 Pts/Game)

13th in Scoring Defense (16 Pts/game) against an average opponents scoring offense ranking of 77th (29 Pts/Game)

Ohio State - Updated SOS is 32nd and Sagarin Rating is 104 (Average Opponent is 54th and 72)

5th in Total Offence (527 YDS/game) against an average opponents total defense ranking of 49th (361 YDS/Game)

2nd in Total Defense (229 YDS/game) against an average opponents total offense ranking of 87th (365 YDS/Game)

3rd in Scoring Offence (50 Pts/game) against an average opponents scoring defense ranking of 60th (26 Pts/Game)

2nd in Scoring Defense (8 Pts/game) against an average opponents scoring offense ranking of 82nd (26 Pts/Game)

Oklahoma - Updated SOS is 48th and Sagarin Rating is 98 (Average Opponent is 43rd and 73)

1st in Total Offence (613 YDS/game) against an average opponents total defense ranking of 111th (455 YDS/Game)

28th in Total Defense (326 YDS/game) against an average opponents total offense ranking of 65th (410 YDS/Game)

1st in Scoring Offence (50 Pts/game) against an average opponents scoring defense ranking of 100th (32 Pts/Game)

23rd in Scoring Defense (19 Pts/game) against an average opponents scoring offense ranking of 65th (30 Pts/Game)

LSU - Updated SOS is 41st and Sagarin Rating is 96 (Average Opponent is 48th and 69)

3rd in Total Offence (540 YDS/game) against an average opponents total defense ranking of 75th (401 YDS/Game)

24th in Total Defense (319 YDS/game) against an average opponents total offense ranking of 72nd (392 YDS/Game)

2nd in Scoring Offence (50 Pts/game) against an average opponents scoring defense ranking of 73rd (27 Pts/Game)

26th in Scoring Defense (20 Pts/game) against an average opponents scoring offense ranking of 68th (29 Pts/Game)

Nothing earth shattering here. Just statistical truth that the talking heads are either intentionally biased, ignorant, lazy or a combination of all three.

Go Tigers. Win and we're in.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Defense Wins Championships! Tigers Again Champs!***

Oct 23, 2019, 3:31 PM

the eye test tells everyone but us that TL is struggling

Oct 23, 2019, 3:32 PM

by us I mean the coaches, players and football smart Clemson fans

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the eye test tells everyone but us that TL is struggling

Oct 23, 2019, 3:42 PM

But, the team is NOT struggling. The team is doing quite nicely, thank you. Football is a team sport. Individual players win individual honors. Teams (eg. Clemson) win championships. I'll take the latter every year. :)

Re: Not a surprise, but there is no difference in the top 5

Oct 23, 2019, 4:04 PM

The talking heads continually reward teams (i.e. Bama, LSU, Ohio St) for who they are GOING TO play. Oklahoma only has Baylor left - we're not sure who they really are because they snuck up on all of us.

As for Clemson, we could still have 2 decent Top 40 (Top 25 if we really get lucky) wins if Wake Forest keeps playing like they have been and someone in the Coastal keeps it together. Right now you have UVA, Pitt and VT all at 5-2. If they don't take turns losing to each other (a la 2018) we could have a decent record opponent in ACCCG.

(PS - there is a reason the Coach's Poll has us at #2 and holding - not dropping like the AP Poll. Coaches know ball and they all watch film. They don't just look at a box score, watch Paul F'baum and then fill out their poll. Coaches know what kind of talent we have under those helmets and pads that we run onto the field each week.)

Oct 23, 2019, 4:10 PM

Thanks for posting - good info.

I personally do not disagree with Clemson sliding in AP polls and I understand it. Objectively we have not look as dominant against weaker competition as we are expected to be so people run with that narrative.

Take last week vs Louisville compared to Ohio State vs NW. OSU dismantled NW..I know NW doesn't have a power 5 win and Louisville is stiffer competition. However, TLaw making dumb throws, Louisville receivers dropping wide open passes, etc. That game could have been much much closer at half time if they didn't drop a few wide open balls -> game could have been much much wider if TLaw didn't throw 2 picks in the endzone.

OSU, LSU, BAMA, OKLAHOMA have all looked better so far, in my opinion. Does not mean they are better and there is 0% chance Tigers miss playoffs if they're undefeated ACC Champs come final rankings.

All the noise will settle over the next few weeks as it always does. It will be settled on the field.

Oct 23, 2019, 4:15 PM

Offense

I appreciate your efforts on our behalf. But, the

Oct 23, 2019, 4:18 PM

unfortunate thing for us is that while the other top teams have games against tough, highly ranked teams coming down the road, we do not. Now, the good news is, there will be attrition from the unbeaten teams due to this, as well. I personally do not care whether we make it into the playoffs at #1 or #4, as long as we are in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

National Media

Oct 23, 2019, 4:34 PM

ESPN sees to do everything they can to prop up other teams. They give Ohio State a lot of credit for beating Mich State and Nebraska. They give Oklahoma and LSU a ton of credit for beating Texas. After watching them play Kansas I am not sold on any of those teams.

Bama's offense is again masking their issues on defense just like last year. However, at least last year Bama could run the ball which they cannot do this year. Any team, like Clemson, with a strong secondary will be able to shut down the Bama offense. Not at all sure we will see Bama this year in the playoffs. I think LSU and possibly Auburn beats Bama this year.

They give Oklahoma credit for playing some defense this year........in the Big 12. Nothing else to say there.

Tired of the ESPN and National media narrative. Not sure what they will say in January when we have won 3 out of 4 National Titles.

They will say it's an ongoing fluke?

Oct 23, 2019, 8:15 PM

:)

There's one BIG difference.

Oct 23, 2019, 9:53 PM

We're better than the other four.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic