Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Northwestern 6-4 ranked 22... Duke 7-3
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Northwestern 6-4 ranked 22... Duke 7-3

Nov 13, 2018, 7:41 PM

Duke not ranked.

Duke absolutely destroyed northwestern at northwestern.

Makes sense....?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Northwestern 6-4 ranked 22... Duke 7-3

Nov 13, 2018, 8:50 PM

Head to head win and better record. Dukies beat the Keydets, Northwest Passage and the Georgia Nerds. But, North by Northwest has beaten Perdue, Meeechigan State, Wish-cons-in, and Eyeohwa. Lost by 10 to the cantankerous leprechauns and only by 3 to Meeeeechigan. I think Pat Fitzgerald's squad has had a tougher road then David Cutcliffe's.

Nov 13, 2018, 9:05 PM

You make a good point....but, you may want to drop the absolutely destroyed part. 21-7 Dook won. Although they were outgained by almost 100 yards and had fewer first downs. Just say they beat NW

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2018, 9:07 PM

NorthWestern is just the hotter team, playing in a far better conference

"Far" more hyped conference... Head to Head ...? ESPiN.***

Nov 13, 2018, 9:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Far" more hyped conference... Head to Head ...? ESPiN.***

Nov 13, 2018, 9:24 PM

Not a conference rah rah fan. But, this is typical voters only seeing conference affiliation. The narrative that the Big 10 is sooooooo much better than the ACC is why as the other poster pointed out. All those "great" big 10 teams NW beat gets them the respect!

UVA is also 7-3 and plays some really good defense. No so great on offense.

Head to head and You went to their place and beat the Big 10 West champ by two TD's and you are no where near the top of the ACC to me speaks volumes in the other direction!

The ACC is not as down as SEC PN is saying and Clemson is not the proud champ of a bunch of "nobody's"! We are the champion of some really good football teams! Just b/c the "traditional powers" are struggling does not mean other teams can't carry the flag!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2018, 9:51 PM

It's easy to say the ACC isn't down, but what ACC teams would you say are good this year outside of Clemson and maybe Syracuse?

Conference records vs. other P5 conference teams this season:

SEC: 6-2
Big 10: 7-5
Big 12: 4-6
Pac 12: 3-4
ACC: 3-6

Included in those records btw, the Big 10 is 3-1 vs. the ACC.

It's not just the P5 records, but the overall OOC record of the ACC this year. The following ACC teams have OOC losses this season.

UNC - 2
Miami - 1
Virginia Tech - 2 which includes ODU
Georgia Tech - 1 which was from a non P5
UVA - 1 which was to an Indiana team that is 2-5 in the Big 10
Pitt - 3 including 2 30+ point losses, including a 51-6 loss to a Penn State team that is 4-3 in the Big 10...Pitt is most likely going to play for the ACC Championship.
Louisville - 1
FSU - 1
Wake - 1, and they have an overtime win against Tulane.
BC - 1, which was a 17 point loss to Big 10 Purdue

That's 10 of the 14 ACC teams with at least 1 OOC loss, and we're not finished with OOC games yet. Should Duke be ranked ahead of Northwestern? You could certainly argue that based on the head to head, and the fact that Northwestern went 1-3 OOC including a loss to Akron, but they have picked up some good wins lately while Duke has struggled. I honestly wouldn't lose any sleep either way.

The ACC deserves any criticism it gets this season though IMO. Doesn't change that Clemson is a legit #1 or #1 team in the country this season, but the ACC is really really bad right now.

Nov 13, 2018, 10:31 PM

@cclemson2003

I understand.
My only thing is: when were the games played? Were they early in the year? Does the conference have a bunch of new faces starting at QB? No doubt the "perception" is also a part of the low ranking when you see ACC schools lose to each other. B/C in other leagues that would be "parody"!

I still contend and would be willing to wager a Whopper w/cheese the ACC does no worse than .500 during bowl season. In fact, I think the conference ends up with a winning record!

There are Gawd-awful teams all over the place including the ACC. Some of our down teams will best some of the other conferences down teams! It won't do much to change the narrative as the 9-3 bowl season didn't either; b/c that perception is sooooo dang strong about how weak the ACC is. But, I will sit back with our excellent football coach and be on point when we say, "the ACC is a much tougher league than it is given credit for"!

Don't matter - as long as the Tigers are recognized and given the respect it deserves as one of the best in the country - "i'm good"!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2018, 11:33 PM [ in reply to Re: "Far" more hyped conference... Head to Head ...? ESPiN.*** ]

The ACC deserves any criticism it gets this season though IMO. Doesn't change that Clemson is a legit #1 or #1 team in the country this season, but the ACC is really really bad right now.

I have to disagree with you on that last comment. The ACC is actually not bad, right now. It may have been “bad” in September, but in November, that’s not the case. Currently, among Power 5 Conferences, only one has more teams with winning records than the ACC: the SEC with 10 and 2 with .500 records. The ACC has 8 with winning records and two with .500. The Big Ten only has 7 and the Big 12 only has 4 with winning records. The ACC is a heck of a lot better in football than it was ten years ago. The knock on the conference this year is due to the fact that traditional powers like FSU, Miami, and VA Tech are mediocre to down right bad. The recently Stinky teams, Syracuse, BC, Virginia, and Pittsburgh are actually pretty good to very good. Syracuse is 8-2. They win Saturday, they’ll be in the Top 10. That’s crazy.

Nov 13, 2018, 9:34 PM

Northwestern lost to Akron.

I just don't get how Miss St in any poll is ranked

Nov 13, 2018, 10:53 PM

I know the ACC is down but this & the NW deal...obvious which 2 conferences are the faves. That said, as long as our boys take care of business & we occupy a top 4 spot, then that much is right in the world

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic