Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone that says recruiting rankings do not matter
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Anyone that says recruiting rankings do not matter

May 16, 2019, 9:03 AM

Obviously was not around during the Tommy Bowden administration.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone that says recruiting rankings do not matter

May 16, 2019, 9:05 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Lol, nice gif!

May 16, 2019, 12:38 PM

I loved Eddie Murphy in Training Day

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone that says recruiting rankings do not matter

May 16, 2019, 9:12 AM

Wow - another astute post - TBalm !! -:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Rankings do not matter

May 16, 2019, 9:15 AM

But I have heard that size does

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rankings do not matter

May 16, 2019, 9:42 AM

Size, just like recruiting rankings, does matter in that if you have the biggest and best then you have more room for error in terms of reaching potential and performance "on the field".

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't pay for silly recruiting sites***

May 16, 2019, 9:21 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

We were truly rank back then, for the most part. Thank God

May 16, 2019, 9:26 AM

that is now becoming ancient history. Seeing what it takes to have the #1 Class, as we may end up with in 2020, it Bottles the Mime to see the level of talent that other schools have wasted in recent years. Hopefully our coaching staff shows them what can really be done with great talent when it is well coached.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy Bowden could've landed a top 10 recruiting class

May 16, 2019, 9:55 AM

every year and would've still grossly underachieved. He was Mark Richt without the resources and in-state talent. Rankings do matter but you still have to be able to coach them after they sign. Bowden's philosophy was always 'the players should motivate themselves'. I've heard him say it many times. He thought you somehow get great players out of HS and just wind them up and let them go. Nothing could be further from the truth. They still have to be developed to their potential and have the egos managed, as well.

Tommy Bowden. Pffft...

Re: Tommy Bowden could've landed a top 10 recruiting class

May 16, 2019, 11:50 AM

Heck no.

Mark Richt was an excellent coach with the misfortune of being at Georgia. He had about 3 opportunities to win it all (and in 2002 and 2007 likely had the best team IMO) but those are the days when being #3 was the worst spot to be at. The only knock against Richt was that he was coaching at the same time of both Saban and Meyer... but being the 2nd best coach to multiple NC HOF coaches is a nasty place to be. Think about that. He won the SEC when Meyer or Saban were active. Tommy, while being a great guy was never at that level of success nor had that competition. Nine 10+ win seasons over 16 years does not make him a "Tommy". Heck he has higher % wins than Dooley.

Re: Tommy Bowden could've landed a top 10 recruiting class

May 16, 2019, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Tommy Bowden could've landed a top 10 recruiting class ]

Yep - Hater - never quite understood his coaching style .....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Other than losing some head-scratchers, I don't feel like he

May 16, 2019, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Tommy Bowden could've landed a top 10 recruiting class ]

underachieved. I just don't feel like he had the wildly talented roster like some believe. Sure, he had some very good players, but just not nearly as many as Dabo has acquired and certainly not the depth.

Oh, he underachieved. Clemson should never be middle

May 16, 2019, 12:18 PM

of the pack or worse in the ACC. By and large, he couldn't recruit worth 2 cents. Had it not been for Dabo, Billy Napier, and a few other assistants it would've been worse. He couldn't hire coordinators worth 2 cents, either. His biggest underachievement was he never achieved an ability to motivate or take responsibility for his program's shortcomings.

When he had good players he lost to teams he shouldn't (See: Wake Forest). His teams got blown out of the hemisphere by Maryland and NCSU. The same team that ended '03 by beating FSU and Tenn also got trounced by WF 45-17 and UGA 30-0. At one point we lost to GT 4 out of 5 years while GT was perpetually going 7-5. I could go on but I won't.

Dabo Swinney could've taken those exact same teams and had better results because he wouldn't have gotten outcoached by Ralph Friedgen, Chuck Amato, Mark Richt, Jim Grobe, and Al Groh, or Chan Gailey.

Where did he fall on our list of top 10 winningest coaches, BD

May 16, 2019, 3:42 PM

BD = before Dabo?

He was 72-45, a 62% winning percentage.

May 16, 2019, 4:04 PM

1999 6-6 Lost to Miss St 17-7 Peach Bowl
2000 9-3 Lost to VT 41-20 Gator Bowl
2001 7-5 Beat LA Tech 49-24 Humanitarian Bowl
2002 7-6 Lost to TX Tech 55-15 Tangerine Bowl
2003 9-4 Beat Tenn 27-14 Peach Bowl
2004 6-5 * Declined bowl bid for fight w/ SCar
2005 8-4 Beat Colorado 19-10 Champs Sports Bowl
2006 8-5 Lost to KY 28-20 Music City Bowl
2007 9-4 Lost to Auburn 23-20 Peach Bowl (Chick-Fil-A)
2008 3-3 * Fired after 3-3 start (losses to Bama 34-10, MD 20-17, WF 12-7)
(wins over the Citadel 45-17, NCSU 27-9, SC St 54-0)

He ranks behind Heisman, Howard, Pell, Ford, and Hatfield percentage wise.

I'd take him over Pell, and we all know Hatfield

May 16, 2019, 11:01 PM

did NOTHING without s players. So lets chuck those two out, because I think we'd both take Bowden over either of those guys. Right?

And Heisman..really? What did he coach, 2 years? I mean, yeah he did great for that tine..before cars amd whatnot.

I'd personally move Bowden to #3 on that list. Behind Ford and Howard. Even if you chooseto disagree, I think you can say he was above average in Clemson history. Right?

You missed a bowl winin there too.***

May 16, 2019, 11:03 PM [ in reply to He was 72-45, a 62% winning percentage. ]

I didn't miss a bowl win. Every bowl is accounted for.

May 17, 2019, 8:52 AM

There was no bowl after the '04 season.

Devils Advocate says: Meanwhile ...

May 16, 2019, 11:07 AM

... we have a 5-star LB who appears to be transfering because he’s behind 3-star Jamie Skalski ... and a 5-star RB who is leaving because a supremely talented former 3-star guy called ETN has become a Heisman candidate in front of him.

Both of those 5-star guys jacked up our recruiting ranking the year they signed.

Befoe you get upset, remember this is Devils Advocate tslking ... ??

Re: Devils Advocate says: Meanwhile ...

May 16, 2019, 11:38 AM

ETN was a 4 star.

Curious because I honestly don't know, but what was his

May 16, 2019, 11:49 AM

composite ranking? I would tend to believe someone had him ranked as a 5-star. Too, get a bunch of 4-stars with a few 5-stars sprinkled in, and you can win national championships, like we have.

Nope ... Rivals 3-Star.

May 16, 2019, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Devils Advocate says: Meanwhile ... ]

I’ve always felt Rivals had the best handle on things if any group did. Opinions vary of course.

Suffice it to say that ETN was a last minute under-the-radar get for Clemson and that Feaster was a kid everybody recruited.

Re: Nope ... Rivals 3-Star.

May 16, 2019, 2:22 PM

His 247 composite ranking was as a 4 star.

He gained traction after Clemson went after him.

May 16, 2019, 2:33 PM

Prior to that, only LSU had noticed him.

3-Star, 4-Star ... he was basically an unknown compared to Feaster.

well Clemson LSU and

May 17, 2019, 12:22 AM

Oregon, Tenn, Texas A&m, Bama, Arkansas, Cal, Houston, Iowa St, Kansas, La, La Tech, Mem, Miami, Miss St, Mizzou, unc, NT, Ok State, Or St. Rutgers, So. alabama, So Miss, TCU, Tulane, UCF, Utsa, Vandy, VT and some smaller schools

But really nobody else. Not bad from someone that snubbed Rivals camps.

Top 300 player and 16th ranked RB composite which was brought down by rivals low numbers but ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rivals was clearly the best at evaluating ETN

May 17, 2019, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Nope ... Rivals 3-Star. ]

clearly a 3 star from day 1. Those insane high school runs that he had were different than the same looking insane college runs because those guys at rivals are smart and know better.

Re: Rivals was clearly the best at evaluating ETN

May 17, 2019, 1:12 PM

Basically, none of them know anything.

Coaches know what they need and what they want.

They don’t let recruiting rankings color their decisions.

Thankfully.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy Bowden did some good things...

May 16, 2019, 11:26 AM

but saying "Well, every week half the teams that play lose" was not one of them.

Re: Tommy Bowden did some good things...

May 16, 2019, 11:29 AM

we were always 1 or 2 players away from an ACC title,

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tommy Bowden did some good things...

May 16, 2019, 11:42 AM

And ... plays - TBalm - 1 or 2 plays away .... -:)

If we could have only ended up in the 50% that didn't lose.***

May 16, 2019, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Tommy Bowden did some good things... ]

Probably the same guys who say size doesn't matter..

May 16, 2019, 11:46 AM

..on the offensive line. Another Tommy Bowden era issues.

The fact that I attended Clemson during the Tommy Bowden administration...

May 16, 2019, 1:09 PM

Is a testament of how much I love that school. Even that goober couldn’t run me off!

And certain home games against GT and Maryland certainly tested me.

~JKB

Re: The fact that I attended Clemson during the Tommy Bowden administration...

May 16, 2019, 2:22 PM

I agree - JKB - Bowden’s teams were frequently hard to watch - excruciating at times !! That’s when I became “HopefulTiger” ... lol ..., just hoping we would win ....,.

Recruiting rankings don't matter on an individual basis

May 16, 2019, 2:12 PM

But they do matter when looking at an entire class. To an extent, of course.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic