Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"We were Clemson before Clemson" - Former FSU Assistant.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

"We were Clemson before Clemson" - Former FSU Assistant.

Jun 26, 2019, 3:23 PM

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2841875-the-mess-jimbo-left-inside-fsus-fall-and-willie-taggarts-plan-to-rise-again

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

They were also no one before Clemson...remember when...

Jun 26, 2019, 4:02 PM

...FSU, Florida and Miami were a big nothing for the longest time.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They were also no one before Clemson...remember when...

Jun 26, 2019, 4:21 PM

Good point. When Clemson won it all in 1981 FSPU was just getting started under Bowden. Florida was nothing under Charlie "Clemson Will Never Win a National Championship" Pell. And Miami would only start doing great things in 1983.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny how all 3 have gone back to their roots

Jun 26, 2019, 4:43 PM [ in reply to They were also no one before Clemson...remember when... ]

I remember when the coots use to schedule them as a "Gimme"

Jun 26, 2019, 5:26 PM [ in reply to They were also no one before Clemson...remember when... ]

game....The Coots!!!

Re: "We were Clemson before Clemson" - Former FSU Assistant.

Jun 26, 2019, 4:10 PM

How quickly things can go awry when there's a failure of leadership. Thank you Dabo and Dan R.

Jun 26, 2019, 4:15 PM

All this stuff comes out now. It should have been exposed 4-5 years ago. I hope Willie does well.... except against the Tigers. And I wonder if wittle Jimbo will mess things up at TAMU? Something tells me the powers that be at A&M won't put up with the crap that happened at FSPU a few years ago. But, I could be wrong.

Jun 26, 2019, 4:43 PM

I really don't think Jumbo left the program in as bad a spot as the article suggests. They have always been the Criminoles. They hired Jimbo to be Jimbo, then when the heat got too hot they tried to reel him in. He just walked away and said screw them. He left plenty of talent there for Willie to have a lot better than Willie had.

Re: This

Jun 27, 2019, 9:36 AM

Must be close to the truth.

They remind me of Miami. They were a powerhouse and were getting away with dubious activities. Acting like nothing else mattered, win at all cost. THEN, the tide rolled back out. (See what I did there?)

Hope we ride the wave all the way to the beach!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2019, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Re: "We were Clemson before Clemson" - Former FSU Assistant. ]

I really don't think Jumbo left the program in as bad a spot as the article suggests. They have always been the Criminoles. They hired Jimbo to be Jimbo, then when the heat got too hot they tried to reel him in. He just walked away and said screw them. He left plenty of talent there for Willie to have a lot better than Willie had.

Jun 26, 2019, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Re: "We were Clemson before Clemson" - Former FSU Assistant. ]

Agreed. I don’t even know why I care, but

Jun 27, 2019, 6:07 AM

really tired of this narrative that it’s all Jimbo’s fault.

For *some reason* many people are terrified to say that Taggart is in way over his head. Hmmmm...

Re: Agreed. I don’t even know why I care, but

Jun 27, 2019, 9:18 AM

You're lame for implying something and not having the balls to say it. You think he's getting the benefit of the doubt because he's black. Taggart has a proven track record of turning programs around. He's actually NOT getting the benefit of the doubt and phrases like "he's in over his head" are the actual things that are coded language. There were many talking media types that suggessted he should be fired mid-season. That's not getting the benefit of the doubt. FSU was bad. Let's see what improvements they make.

So many people are so stuck to their agenda that they make up things in their mind so they can use it rant about their thinly veiled beliefs.

Jun 27, 2019, 9:46 AM

Tell us again about agendas please. Looks like you have one yourself.

Jun 27, 2019, 11:04 AM

Everyone has an agenda, so you aren't saying anything revelatory. My "agenda" was to point out that his suggestion of Taggart's race buying him something was silly, when evidence points to the opposite. How a white person, especially a man, can ever call out another race for getting something beneficial because of skin color is unbelievably hilarious, and if you can't see how it is then I feel sorry for you. Its not ALL white people that act this way, but there are a certain segment of them, including members of this board that never battled the inequities when they were the beneficiaries but the mere chance that a black guy MIGHT be benefiting, now we need to look into this!

LOL

Nobody has mentioned race except you. You're the one

Jun 27, 2019, 11:35 AM

with the problem. Taggart is absolutely 100% unequivocally IN OVER HIS HEAD, and it has ZERO to do with skin color, but keep beating that race card drum if it makes you feel better.

The guy is a lameass coach, period. I couldn't care less what he knows about Xs and Os if he can't inspire the Jimmy's and Joe's. He walked into a quitters' firepit first ignited by Fisher and then had kerosene thrown on it by Taggart. He doesn't have what is necessary to inspire a program and break the cycle they've been mired in since 2 years before Fisher left.

Re: Nobody has mentioned race except you. You're the one

Jun 27, 2019, 11:56 AM

You need to research who actually brought race into the discussion. I only told him why he was foolish for saying so. I don't care if he's in over his head or not, I said no one is excusing him because he's black. That's what I am objecting to.

Carry on being angry though

How do you know

Jun 27, 2019, 12:03 PM

I’m male and how do you know I’m white? And why do you think I brought up anything about race?

You have made many assumptions just to go off on your tangent.

Re: How do you know

Jun 27, 2019, 12:27 PM

Really dude? Ok. LOL

Ok buh bye***

Jun 27, 2019, 12:30 PM

I don't need to research anything. You brought it up.

Jun 27, 2019, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Nobody has mentioned race except you. You're the one ]

And I'm not angry. That would be you. I simply recognize quickly a racist who blames white people for every pimple on his ###. You have a nice day.

Re: I don't need to research anything. You brought it up.

Jun 27, 2019, 1:10 PM

Please tell me what statement was racist, and where I blamed a white person for anything in my life?

Jun 27, 2019, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Agreed. I don’t even know why I care, but ]

Also, Jimbo and the athletic department clashed on a lot, specifically that the admin/AD wanted to fund more projects for their other sports (which are pretty good for the most part across the board).

People also forget that Jimbo's wife cheated on him with a former UF player, and the divorce was nasty enough that a lot of FSU fans believe it's a major reason why Jimbo took off to College Station.

For starters right of the bat and from the get... they were

Jun 26, 2019, 4:23 PM

NEVER where Clemson is right now. And they weren't going to be. The players quit on Fisher way before he split for College Station.

They won the NC in 2013 and went 14-0. In 2014 they went 13-1 and got absolutely destroyed by Oregon 59-20 in the Rose Bowl. They then had 2 seasons of 10-3 and then the wheels came off completely. Prior to that, they hadn't done squat except define mediocrity since 2000 when they went 11-2 and lost a snoozer to Oklahoma 13-2 in the Orange Bowl.

They had character issues the whole time. That, alone, puts them in another universe from where Clemson has been the last 7 years. Keep telling yourself you were part of something equivalent, coach. That's coot delusional.

Re: For starters right of the bat and from the get... they were

Jun 26, 2019, 4:32 PM

They were great from 1987-2001, 14 straight top 5 finishes, with 2 national titles. I honestly don't know about off the field problems then, but would not be surprised if crap was going on during that time. Anybody know if the golden years of FSPU football were stained by scandal, cheating, other stuff?

I hear Bowdwn's boys liked to "shop" at Dillard's

Jun 26, 2019, 4:55 PM

And Foot locker. Jimbo's boys seemed to prefer "shopping" at Publix

Re: I hear Bowdwn's boys liked to "shop" at Dillard's

Jun 26, 2019, 10:03 PM

Especially those wide outs with great hands. ;)

Re: For starters right of the bat and from the get... they were

Jun 26, 2019, 7:42 PM [ in reply to Re: For starters right of the bat and from the get... they were ]

All the top teams cheated in that era. There were no clean top tier programs.

In 2001 they went 8-4 and got hammered in the 4 losses.

Jun 27, 2019, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Re: For starters right of the bat and from the get... they were ]

They beat an 8-4 VT team 30-17 in the Gator Bowl. That's why I used 2000 as the end of the glory days.

Aside from that, I'm pretty sure the assistant coach was referring to more recent times, not '87-2000, like when Jameis Winston and Kelvin Benjamin. This coach most likely wasn't even at FSU under Bobby Bowden.

Jun 26, 2019, 4:37 PM

True. They were. They just didn’t handle it very well.

There is an old movie I saw as a youngster that was titled “will success spoil Rock Hunter”. Even though it’s been sixty years I still remember that phrase. It applies to a lot of situations I am aware of,

Jun 26, 2019, 4:40 PM

A lot of situations? Care to elaborate?

Jun 26, 2019, 4:56 PM

I have known of a number of people who let success ruin them ... in several ways. And I bet you have too!

Jun 26, 2019, 7:44 PM

They were low character anyway. Success merely gave the opportunity for their true inner person to show.

Jun 26, 2019, 10:05 PM [ in reply to Re: "We were Clemson before Clemson" - Former FSU Assistant. ]

Of course. Thought you were only referring to FSPU. Happens all over the lot.

Let's set the record straight here.

Jun 26, 2019, 6:03 PM [ in reply to Re: "We were Clemson before Clemson" - Former FSU Assistant. ]

Clemson won our first Natty in 1981. We pretty much came from nowhere on the blue blood scale to beat Nebraska and take home the undisputed national title.

FSU won it's first Natty in 1993. So how were the Noles Clemson before Clemson? 'Splain it to me.

Granted there were years when both teams sucked in the way back. I remember it well. The year was 1975. FSU came to play us in Death Valley. FSU was 1-6 going into the game. Clemson was 1-6 going into the game. Some clever Tiger fans had made signs that read, "Welcome Bowl Scouts".

Unfortunately, FSU beat the crap out of us to leave the victor, but they did NOT go bowling. The following year we played in Tallahassee and we beat the Noles. But make no mistake, both of us sucked in the mid-70s

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's set the record straight here.

Jun 26, 2019, 9:34 PM

When Danny was fired it was a game changer. We wnt from a program driven to win to a program micro managed by the admin.

Jun 26, 2019, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Let's set the record straight here. ]

When Danny was fired it was a game changer. We wnt from a program driven to win to a program micro managed by the admin.

Jun 26, 2019, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Let's set the record straight here. ]

Jun 26, 2019, 10:08 PM [ in reply to Let's set the record straight here. ]

I was at that FSPU game in 1975. What a disaster. As I recall, NC Snake also bit us bad that year at Death Valley.

Wrong. How old are you?***

Jun 26, 2019, 10:45 PM [ in reply to Re: "We were Clemson before Clemson" - Former FSU Assistant. ]

Your post was Germans before there were Germans.***

Jun 26, 2019, 8:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's wrong. There was Clemson well before FSU.***

Jun 26, 2019, 10:21 PM

FSU was a women’s college before UofSuck became a women’s college. ***

Jun 27, 2019, 12:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

And now your FSU AFTER FSU***

Jun 27, 2019, 9:09 AM

Best Is The Standard

FSU was never Clemson

Jun 27, 2019, 9:12 AM

They had some good, maybe great, teams. If you're looking at the total picture, they always had character issues with players and tried to cover up some of those issues. So, I must disagree with "We were Clemson before Clemson."

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic