Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
WOFFORD AND CHAROLTTE SHOULD NOT BE ON
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

WOFFORD AND CHAROLTTE SHOULD NOT BE ON

Jun 7, 2019, 12:19 AM

our football schedule in the same year. I get the excuses they give us with having 7 home games every year, however with the price you pay for tickets, it would be much more entertaining and draw better crowds with another formidable opponent on the schedule.

I know at the level we're at now, we will be highly favored against 90% of the team's in the country. I just like going to a game knowing if we play bad, we could lose. 4th qtrs being up 40 and half the stadium empty kind of kill the excitement of a game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WOFFORD AND CHAROLTTE SHOULD NOT BE ON

Jun 7, 2019, 12:22 AM

I agree, I've always disliked the cupcake games. You pay premium price to see a substandard game and substandard effort. Whats the point? I'd rather them have a couple weeks off than play games like that. JMO of course

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2019, 11:21 AM

Well, let's look at it from another angle. If we were to substitute two top D1 teams for the two cup cake teams the price of those tickets would go up substantially and we would be complaining about that. No matter what course we take, 50% of the fans would agree and the other 55% would disagree. (I rounded my number to the nearest 105%)

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2019, 1:49 PM

Or they could just charge a price comparable to what those type games are worth. Those games are no win situations. You don't gain anything if you win, you run the risk of injuries, they are boring, and they hurt your SOS. Its like paying to watch a HS team playing a middle school team (Unless of course you are USuC playing the Citadel)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2019, 6:16 AM

The football schedule is not setup to entertain us. It is setup to make the team competitive. Those two games are supposed to be utilized to build depth in case a starter gets injured. Also, while other schools are signing contracts for neutral site games, we are still signing home and home. The Texas A & M game this year is going to be a sold out loud one for us. Down the road we get LSU. And don't forget the Dawgs are coming back. After sitting through all of the games during the down years, I do not understand the complaints about the schedule. I do not know how long we are going to be at the top of the football mountain. What I do know is that I am going to enjoy every snap, not care who is on the other side of the ball, and will have my backside in my seat. Go Tigers!

The point/frustration for many is

Jun 7, 2019, 6:45 AM

Do you want to pay $20/pound for ground beef AND filet mignon? Sea scallops versus flounder? Does $80 bucks get you Oban, or Old Milwaukee?

No one can control the competitiveness of games when schedules are made so far in advance, but, it's reasonable to realize FCS schools and newly-minted FBS programs aren't going to bring any intrigue to the game. It's more like a visit to the Colosseum and a question of how well the 'cats' will be fed. Thumbs up...or down?

College football has changed...the schedules need to reflect that, in my view.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

except that the cupcake games cost half of the others...

Jun 7, 2019, 10:10 AM

you almost had a point. Congrats.

You don't have to pay $20 per pound for ground

Jun 7, 2019, 10:13 AM [ in reply to The point/frustration for many is ]

Beef. Walk away. Spend it elsewhere

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

If you read just somewhat closely...(who am I kidding?)

Jun 7, 2019, 2:09 PM

Did my examples suggest ticket prices were identical for all games? Further, the thread was asking why games weren't sellouts...and I suggested why, solely from my perspective.

It's about value...not just about price and it being Clemson football. The cost is more than just the tickets. For many, it's the tradition...Iptay dues...the tailgating with friends...family together on weekends. That's wonderful...and that's the value they're willing to pay.

But...it's not enough for 75-80K fans each and every game. And you know, it's clearly okay...for now. The 'new normal' is the stadium has capacity for the really special games...and the remainder are to fill out the schedule. Will that be acceptable in the coming years?

Re: The point/frustration for many is

Jun 7, 2019, 2:03 PM [ in reply to The point/frustration for many is ]

+1 for the brilliant Oban reference

Jun 7, 2019, 7:47 AM [ in reply to Re: WOFFORD AND CHAROLTTE SHOULD NOT BE ON ]

The Tigers don't need Wofford and Charlotte to get the backups experience. 84 played against NC State, 94 played against Louisville, and so on.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2019, 8:42 AM

I guess I am cautious. The league appears to be rebuilding. I am personally concerned that the new Ga Tech coach has had all summer to prepare for us. On the flip side, we have nothing on tape from them. We should win that game but, they will come in well prepared. I always expect an opposing team to give us their best shot. For me, the blow out conference games are an exception. Look back to the 2016 season and when we were able to get to reserve time in each game. I went grayer and Troy about gave me heart failure!

Jun 7, 2019, 1:34 PM

Georgia Tech? They'll be using triple option players in a pro-style offense this year. I think they have exactly 7 completed passes returning. Their defensive line is being rebuilt. They didn't even use a tight end under Paulllllllll Johnson (gonna miss that). And their coaching staff is new. The only area where they excel is special teams. I could be wrong, but I think the Yellow Jackets are going to get Raided on August 29th.

Jun 7, 2019, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Re: WOFFORD AND CHAROLTTE SHOULD NOT BE ON ]

We'll agree to disagree on whether the schedule should be set up to entertain us. There's a reason they have that big stadium surrounding that football field.

As it becomes more and more difficult for folks to go to a Clemson game (logistically and financially), I believe attendance will suffer as it is more tempting to for the average to stay home and watch games that might actually be competitive.

If you remember, 2 or 3 years ago they had to do a running clock in the 2nd half against S.CAROLINA STATE. That was about as dead an atmosphere as I've seen in Death Valley the last 10 years.

I would much rather do a 2 for 1 with a ECU, So.Miss, or Cen. Florida type school. Get to see a new away stadium and play some one half way competitive

If all teams will agree to drop these two throw away games

Jun 7, 2019, 8:00 AM

then we could finally have a 16 team playoff. Seems like a no brainer.

Re: If all teams will agree to drop these two throw away games

Jun 7, 2019, 11:41 AM

NCAA is not the NFL. Never will be or should be. The belly aching on these tune up games is unreal.

Re: If all teams will agree to drop these two throw away games

Jun 7, 2019, 4:52 PM

Wofford in November is not a tune up game. It's a cupcake, interstate game meant to spread around a few $s to a local program. I don't like it but it is what it is.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2019, 8:19 AM

Clemson historically has always played an instate school i.e. Furman, SC State, Wofford, The Citadel and we always will. It is good for the state. I’m not sure why we are playing Charlotte.

i know but its really a throw away game no matter how you

Jun 7, 2019, 8:25 AM

slice it. It helps the other schools i get it so we can keep the in state school game for nostalgia purposes but maybe we can lose the extra throw away game and get an 8 team playoff.

DO NOT bring this garbage to Tnet when Wyoming comes rolling in***

Jun 7, 2019, 8:22 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should play more conference games ...

Jun 7, 2019, 8:27 AM

Playing Coastal teams once a decade is atrocious.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

0/10

Jun 7, 2019, 8:32 AM

At the very least, try to address a unique subject.

Jun 7, 2019, 8:53 AM

Show me one P5 contender who doesn't play AT LEAST 2 cupcakes. I'll wait right here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

i saw a shoplifter get

Jun 7, 2019, 8:58 AM

Away with a 6-pack last night. Seemed an economical route to go.

Remeber - Charlotte is a FBS Division 1A opponnent

Jun 7, 2019, 9:04 AM

that is a member of Conference USA. Certainly not a powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination but not an FCS cupcake.

I don't mind the current schedule since we play two out of conference power 5 teams (i.e. Texas A&M and USuC) The 2019 schedule is not much different than in years past (last year it was Furman and GA Southern who turned out to be a 10 win team - not a cupcake). There are a lot of other power 5 teams (looking at you SEC and Big10) that won't play any out of conference power 5 opponents so I'm content with our current scheduling practice of one FCS and one non-power 5 FBS opponent every year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty sure it's actually a law that we have to play one of

Jun 7, 2019, 10:07 AM

the in-state schools every year, thus the reason one of Wofford, Furman, SC St, the Citadel, or Coastal are on every schedule. We're not going to get a historical mid major powerhouse like App St, Troy, or GA Southern every year. Charlotte, although just began playing football 5 years ago, is on the same level w/ LA Tech, Mid Tenn St, LA Monroe, FL Atlantic, etc. While it may not be ideal for the fans, playing Clemson helps those schools financially because of the large pay day.

If Duke and WF weren't in the ACC people would be questioning playing them in football, too. Every game isn't going to worthy of Game Day. There isn't a major program in the country that doesn't play a couple of those type games every year. Just take a look at any SEC schedule you choose. In a lot of cases they're playing more of those type games than Clemson is.

Pretty sure the law, if it still exists, was to play

Jun 7, 2019, 10:28 AM

U of SuC every year and not just any state school. (They still are in-state and qualify as an opponent don't they?)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, they are, but I think it's also in writing, or maybe a

Jun 7, 2019, 10:32 AM

gentlemen's agreement, that we play one of the others, as well. I know it's actually law we play SCar.

Re: Yes, they are, but I think it's also in writing, or maybe a

Jun 7, 2019, 1:20 PM

No it’s not.

Ok, great. We still do it and it helps out the smaller

Jun 7, 2019, 2:37 PM

in-state schools and I don't have a problem with it and I don't really GAF who does. Is that better?

No1 forces you to buy tickets

Jun 7, 2019, 10:11 AM

Spend the money elsewhere

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jun 7, 2019, 10:38 AM

1) All ticket prices are not the same. You can certainly take the average of the total cost for season tickets if you'd like, however, it's incorrect to use that logic when the face value on the tickets will be different.

2) We always play a smaller in state school. It's good for that school because we pay them to come here, take their ### whoopin, and go home. Those games are actually very important because the casual fans, fans with families, etc. get to come to a game cheaper than it would be for an ACC matchup, or another of the big time opponents.

3) We're already playing A&M this year, so why would we have another P5 school on the schedule when literally no one else does that? Going back to your complaint on the ticket prices, if you added another P5 school you do realize the price would likely double what it would be for the Wofford/Charlotte games, right?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hold on now....Wofford needs that check - shop local!***

Jun 7, 2019, 10:49 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2019, 11:05 AM

One reason we play teams like Wofford, Furman etc is because they make a lot of their football revenue off of playing a big school like Clemson. But there is a solution. Instead of playing a Wofford, Furman etc... schedule a big name school that the fans want to see, then donate proceeds from that game to one of the smaller FCS schools each year. This will eliminate some cupcake games.

The coots play the Wofford’s, Citadel, Furman and teams like Akron so they can become bowl eligible by sneaking in through the back door.

Would it not be true that bigger names would

Jun 7, 2019, 11:15 AM

demand a bigger check than Furman et al? How are you going to go about donating what you don't have?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would it not be true that bigger names would

Jun 7, 2019, 11:32 AM

But if it’s a big time game you should make more money much more so than a game with Furman. Then cut Furman a check for what you normally pay them for the game. I think Clemson can handle that!

someone call the wahhhhhhhhhhmbulance!

Jun 7, 2019, 11:24 AM

They schedule in state and regional schools because it's good for the other schools too. You don't think Charlotte and Wofford like getting that game check from playing at Clemson? You don't think those players enjoy getting to play in Death Valley?

You like it when there's a chance we could lose? That sounds sadistic. Get over yourself.

Jun 7, 2019, 1:01 PM

My season tickets go all the way back to my grandfather we have had them since 1971 .
I started paying for them in 2008 , I agree with no FCS teams that’s for sure.
I love knowing even if we play bad we are still going to win , really no matter who we play.
You see being the Standard in football means a lot of boring games and I love it .
That’s one of the prices that comes with being the Kings.

Jun 7, 2019, 1:08 PM

Coots add a 3rd cupcake .
In fact , they're more like a banana nut muffin . It's a cupcake filled with little nuts .

Yep .

DB23

Jun 7, 2019, 2:05 PM

Problem with the coots though is that sometimes the cupcakes think of the coots as cupcakes

i'm trying so hard!

Jun 7, 2019, 2:15 PM

But...man...talk about lowering the boom...on 'Boom!

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic