Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recruiting question that I need help with...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,108

Recruiting question that I need help with...

Apr 9, 2019, 1:41 PM

First let me say, I am thankful that we have a great man as our Head Coach and leader of our Football program. Dabo has outstanding values and a great moral compass.

My question is this...I have heard him state in the past that he wants kids of character and kids that are all-in. From what I have heard from others he doesn't like for a kid to commit until he is 100% all-in and he does not believe in kids taking "official" visits unless they are ready to commit or, at the very least, until they stop visiting other schools and end the process. So, my question is this, the kids that are 5* top rated athletes that have had an official visit at other schools and are coming here for an official visit, do they not fit into this unwritten rule? I know of kids like Bowman who have said they have come here for an official visit, but have also gone elsewhere for an official visit too.

I am truly curious and I feel certain that I am wrong and I have interpreted Coach Swinney's philosophy wrong. So, please correct me and tell me where I am wrong and what is really meant by these recruiting visits. I was truly just wondering how it worked at Clemson because it is obviously different from most school as shown by our success. Coach knows what he is doing and, in now way, am I judging his works. I am truly just curious.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Men at 25 play football. Men at 40 play tennis. Men at 60 play golf. Have you noticed as men get older their balls get smaller.

I think you've misunderstood the policy--he's fine with

Apr 9, 2019, 1:45 PM

Officials to Clemson and elsewhere at any time, just not after they've committed to Clemson.

His philosophy is a Clemson scholarship offer is a promise from Clemson that you'll have a spot and he wants a commitment to be a promise from a recruit that they'll play at Clemson. Ergo, he frowns upon official visits after a player has committed to Clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think you've misunderstood the policy--he's fine with

Apr 9, 2019, 1:57 PM

Your first sentence summed it up perfectly and answered my question.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Men at 25 play football. Men at 40 play tennis. Men at 60 play golf. Have you noticed as men get older their balls get smaller.

Re: I think you've misunderstood the policy--he's fine with

Apr 9, 2019, 1:58 PM

This makes better sense, thanks all for the replies.

No One in the 2020 Class has taken an OFFICIAL visit

Apr 9, 2019, 1:50 PM

to Clemson yet.

Otherwise, Dabo's stance ,DON'T COMMIT unless you're ready to stop officials elsewhere,because ,once you commit, Clemson is no longer recruiting for your spot .

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not every visit is an official visit

Apr 9, 2019, 1:52 PM

Official visits are when the school pays for the recruit/family to come and visit and you only have a certain number of those per school. Each recruit can take 5 official visits but only 1 to each school. Clemson doesn’t do spring/summer official visits, only in the fall. Recruits can come visit a school on their own dime at pretty much any time.

Dabo’s policy is when they accept a commitment, that recruit no longer visits any other schools (with a couple exceptions that I believe were known about), in exchange for the staff promising that spot is theirs. If the commit visits somewhere else, they no longer view him as committed and therefore that spot is open again.

Dabo will let recruits committed elsewhere visit Clemson unofficially whenever they want, but won’t host a recruit who’s committed elsewhere on an unofficial visit (Trayvon Walker and Nolan Smith last year).

Hopefully that helps clear it up.

No

Apr 9, 2019, 2:15 PM

An official visit says almost nothing about your commitment level or character.

Dabo doesn't want you to commit until you are 100% sure for the benefit of the kids who don't commit to Clemson. It is for the kids who end up at UGA, Bama, or OSU.

Clemson doesnt offer 400 kids and then pick the best 25 on signing day while telling the other 375 to pound sand.

Clemson will hold your spot if you commit and then tell the other kids who who being recruited that the slot is full. If 4 kids commit at the same time for 3 spots then it could effect some other kid being recruited at another position.

Dabo wants to give the kids who don't committ plenty of time to look elsewhere.

When 1 kid committs it effects the lives of another ot 4-5 recruits at his position. When you decide what you are going to do it isn't just about you and your crew. It isn't just about your lives. Your decision will impact the future of a bunch of other kids ... so you need to be sure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: No

Apr 9, 2019, 2:25 PM

All that info is great, but it has nothing to do with what the op was asking. But thanks for all of the random info.

My pleasure***

Apr 9, 2019, 2:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Recruiting question that I need help with...

Apr 9, 2019, 6:32 PM

Read the article on Fred Davis II and though it doesn't answer your question as others have done, it might give you some insight. Davis talks about the other coaches being excited about him telling them he would commit to Clemson, but said Dabo was quiet and asked Davis what the commitment meant to him. To me that says a lot about Dabo's mindset and what he thinks the mindset of the recruit should be.

Re: Recruiting question that I need help with...

Apr 9, 2019, 6:37 PM

Just as an FYI, Clemson does not do Official visits until the Fall, and tries to do as many as possible after the regular season. No spring or summer OVs.

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,108
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic