Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Second look: Grading Clemson versus Boston College
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

New Story: Second look: Grading Clemson versus Boston College

Sep 25, 2017, 12:01 PM

Second look: Grading Clemson versus Boston College

It’s not too often that you nitpick a 27-point conference win, but here we are after Clemson-Boston College. After a second look at the game, taking a look at how the Tigers grade and what it means going forward. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Second look: Grading Clemson versus Boston College

Sep 25, 2017, 12:54 PM

The key to our season is going to be how Kelly Bryant learns to adjust his game as the season goes. Right now he is a RB first, a RB second, and then a QB. He needs learn how to read the defenses as a QB first and run if the line breaks down or his options are not there. 22 runs in a game is too much and does not get the ball into the hands of the WR enough. Just wondering, but even though we are WRU, is it not going to impact our ability to recruit elite wideouts if our QB does not throw the as a primary option when he drops back. Boston College's defense is going to leveraged by other teams we have. The blitzed and played zone and Bryant needs to take advantage of the zone defense. He has the talent to do it.

Sep 25, 2017, 1:04 PM

I think it's a matter of KB learning how to read opposing defenses. He has all the tools.

Sep 25, 2017, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Second look: Grading Clemson versus Boston College ]

KB has been a pretty good passer up until Saturday. Every QB has off days. I think he will be outstanding if he learns to read the defense and make pre snap adjustments the way DW4 did.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2017, 6:06 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Second look: Grading Clemson versus Boston College ]

I think the key going forward is running plays that work when teams stack the box and blitz. Teams are going to play us this way until we prove we can pass it downfield.

The ad on this page has got to go.****

Sep 25, 2017, 1:14 PM

Which ad?***

Sep 25, 2017, 3:10 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had a Fanatics "Buy Natty swag" ad

Sep 25, 2017, 3:34 PM

Which is soooooooooooo last year ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

You do realize these are google targeted ads. So...***

Sep 26, 2017, 12:28 AM [ in reply to The ad on this page has got to go.**** ]

I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created, and with them the animals,
The birds and the creatures that move along the ground, for I regret that I have made them.

You don't give starting field position nearly enough weight

Sep 25, 2017, 2:02 PM

Our average drive began on our own 13 yard line ... with BC playing well on defense, that was a huge disadvantage.

We're going through definite growing pains at QB and we had to be cautious beginning every single drive.

Driving 85-90 yards each and every possession is not something many offenses can do, especially one's with a brand new QB.

The fact that all of our drives required that we dig out of a hole put a lot of pressure on our OL and on Kelly Bryant.

I think the field position discrepancy was the main key to our less than stellar first three quarters.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You don't give starting field position nearly enough weight

Sep 25, 2017, 3:47 PM

Do not disagree and I love what KB has brought us this year. All I am saying is many teams will copy what BC did and we will see if KB learns from it. I would like to see half the number of runs from him and distribute to eith the RBs or the WRs

I was replying to the article in the original post.

Sep 25, 2017, 7:58 PM

Although, unless future opponents have a punter who can consistently launch wedge shots that hit the 5 yard line with back-spin, we shouldn't be in those deep field position holes every drive of every game.

Having a punter enjoy a perfect game is not something that future opponent's coaches can game plan around.

the team playing better gets better field position

Sep 26, 2017, 2:19 AM [ in reply to You don't give starting field position nearly enough weight ]

Make them punt from inside the 20 instead of mid field. Don't punt from inside your own 20.

We averaged 6 yards per punt longer than BC

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Effective punting is not always about distance

Sep 26, 2017, 8:47 PM

It's more about hang time and placement.

If the starting field position had been reversed and all other things remained equal, Clemson scores early and often and BC still struggles to move the ball.

I completely disagree that field position is determined by how you're playing.

I think how you're playing is largely determined by field position.

Sep 25, 2017, 2:19 PM

Interesting GIF there where Landry was unblocked. Looks like Milan Richard walked right by him and 3 steps later, Kelly is on his backside. Looks like he didn't know the play.

Sep 25, 2017, 3:27 PM

I'm pretty sure this was a misread for KB. Richards seals and KB reads the end. He should have handed it off. Either way, just a busted play.

Sep 25, 2017, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Second look: Grading Clemson versus Boston College ]

I'm pretty sure this was a misread for KB. Richards seals and KB reads the end. He should have handed it off. Either way, just a busted play.

Sep 25, 2017, 3:35 PM

Yup, definite give there and Fuller has room to run.

Sep 25, 2017, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Second look: Grading Clemson versus Boston College ]

Agreed. That should have been a hand off to the RB. The DE and the Safety had it shut down. Fuller could have had a positive gain. KB is still growing and he will have plays like this. I just want him to learn from these plays. If he does we will be national champs.

Sep 25, 2017, 10:42 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Second look: Grading Clemson versus Boston College ]

Agreed. That should have been a hand off to the RB. The DE and the Safety had it shut down. Fuller could have had a positive gain. KB is still growing and he will have plays like this. I just want him to learn from these plays. If he does we will be national champs.

Sep 25, 2017, 3:50 PM

Pretty fair except two comments. Special team grade was high, imo. Yeah, 2 good returns, but the punt coverage and punt blocking for us was a D. Our punting was an A. Other comment is our poor field position did make a difference, but we did dig ourselves a couple of times only to get bogged down. Agree KB needs to work on reads against zone better. There were some opportunities.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My 2 cents

Sep 26, 2017, 2:12 AM

I thought the Oline got manhandled for most of the game. Bryant had BC boys in his face time and time again. He didnt have an opportunity to set his feet quite a few times. The right tackle was getting #### raped constantly. I thought the LG, C, RG paved the way in the running game but to me it looked like Hyatt was struggling. The pocket time and again seemed to collapse quickly. I dont fault KB for running 22 times. Yes there were some designed runs but more than once he had no choice. Again, to me it looked like our RT, got blown up quite a bit.

I thought our recievers did a pretty #### poor job blocking especially on screens. IMO, our WR's looked average in this game. There were several times where our guys just seemed to lack focus and didnt give 100%. If we do not find a way to score through the air, especially inside the red zone, we are going to pay for it somewhere down the line. From what we've seen through the first 4 games, if you were an opposing DC, would you fear or have much respect for our passing game inside the 20? We need several things to happen. We need a TE to emerge and be a threat. We need our 6'4, 6'5 guys, specifically Overton and Higgins to become a threat on a fade in the EZ. We need to get our RB's more involved. Think of the huge threat it would be if Etienne released on curl or slants across the middle, hit in stride.

I know Ray Ray has done some great things this season but it seems to me that he lacks concentration/focus at times and also makes the mistake of thinking he's still in HS and he can outrun everyone. How many times this season have we seen him bobble the ball, field a booming punt only to lose 2-5 yards trying out to run everyone. A couple of times I've seen him field punts that he should have just let go. I think he is lethargic and sloppy, at times) in his route running.

The good things: I think we've seen the birth of a legend in Travis Etienne. The kid is just incredible.

The secondary. I have been extremely impressed by Travon Mullen and AJ Terrell a the corner. I. Simmons is playing good football right now and I think he is going to be incredible.

The defense as a whole is just nasty.
Punting has been very good.

This coming week is going to be a measuring stick. We may find out what we have, when we go to Blacksburg.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic