Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My comments concerning IPTAY survey and premiums seats.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

My comments concerning IPTAY survey and premiums seats.

Dec 9, 2018, 7:22 PM

I just attempted (long story) to fill out that IPTAY survey. I got the strong feeling that it was trying to steer IPTAY members towards giving permission to turn Memorial Stadium more so into a playground for the rich/privileged/corporate. Before I go any further, let me point out that I retired 2.5 years ago from a job making pseudo-low 6-figure money, with very good benefits. I am not poor, but I don’t consider myself to be rich, and was not raised in a privileged environment. Since I retired 2.5 years ago, I have gone to all of the Clemson home games, driving from SE Virginia. I donate at the Frank Howard level and have had the same seats on row 23 of the visitor’s upper deck for the last two years. My advertised seat equity is $200/seat. If I assume that $1000 of my donation is associated with my reserved/numbered tailgate space, I am actually paying $1400/2 = $700 seat equity per seat. That is, I am paying 3.5 times the advertised seat equity, and still didn’t move up, or nearer to the aisle, from last year to this year. It seems to me that Memorial Stadium is already “playground for the rich/privileged/corporate” enough!

Also, all of these premium seat options involved wider seats and/or less people per square foot ratio. This would probably decrease the total capacity of the stadium, which would decrease the fan noise level. This would be further exasperated by this club level meeting place concept where people are gathering to socialize and are not even in the stadium to add to the crowd noise...screaming at a TV set in an air-conditioned room does not count! This desire for more premium seats for the rich/privileged/corporate is probably associated with Clemson’s recent success. Not that I ever want Clemson to have down years, but what if we did, and this demand for these new premium seats for the rich/privileged/corporate falls below the premium seats available? This loss of revenue would probably be passed on to the remaining win-or-lose, for the long haul IPTAY members.

Finally, there were questions involving being willing to give at the next level up for scholarships, facilities, etc. As pointed out above, I am already giving at the Frank Howard level paying 3.5 times the advertised seat equity for visitor’s upper deck row 23. Two years ago, I gave at the $60 Tiger Cub Level (long story) and bought 6-for-16 seats…7 rows back from where I am now. So, I paid $2340 more the next 2 years to move up 7 rows. By ratio, $800 per year more to go to the next level would move me up 2 rows! IPTAY Level, visitor’s upper deck, row 21…hmmmmmm? I read that only 272 IPTAY seats were relinquished from last year to this year. Therefore, we are in a kind of state of gridlock as far as moving into better seats. If IPTAY needs more money, I recommend raising seat equity proportionally. It probably wouldn’t affect me since I am already donating 3.5 times my advertised seat equity even after subtracting a $1000 assumed value for the reserved/numbered parking space.

Message was edited by: AeroTiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Re: My comments concerning IPTAY survey and premiums seats.

Dec 9, 2018, 7:42 PM

We went all in when the first seat equity plan came around. We were able to get seats on south side lower deck on the 25 under the overhang.

I am very hesitant about premium seating since I see stadium after stadium (Georgia tech comes to mind) when even for the biggest games, the premium areas are empty. This is not an overnight change, but when tough times come (and they will), I would much rather have an almost full lower deck like it is now than an almost empty premium/box/etc seating area.

I know that many folks will be all for improvement of the stadium now since the team is awesome, but high dollar corporate seats tend to be empty when the team ain’t so awesome...

We need to be VERY careful with this change....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2018, 8:54 PM

FSU has a premium seating area and it’s always empty as well. It’s in one of their end zones and it’s definitely an eyesore. I’ve never seen it full even during a big game.

good wine costs a lot

Dec 9, 2018, 7:45 PM

really good houses, really good cars, really good health care, really good suits, really good shotguns, first class seats on Delta, high quality hotel rooms, all cost a lot of money. and sure, when a boom occurs, especially in a small town, people move in and prices go up.

isn't high quality football at a high price better than mediocre football at a medium price? it is to me. i guess we will see which choice Clemson people would prefer. for me and my family, IPTAY members for almost 5 decades, we prefer high quality. But, we will accept whatever the group desires.

to me and mine, the choice is simply. pay a lot and get great, or pay less and get less.

IPTAY can increase capital simply by increasing seat equity***

Dec 9, 2018, 8:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have valid points.

Dec 9, 2018, 7:49 PM

I think there is this balancing act that exists between Clemson's desire to maximize profits and their desire to meet the needs of their fanbase. To me, it kinda comes across as a "What can we get away with?" strategy. There's zero transparency into pricing by seat location. If I walked into IPTAY and said "I've got $5,000. What'll that buy me?" I'd leave knowing no more than I knew walking in.

Before the seat equity stuff, we all used to complain that Joe down the street had seats on the 50 and only paid $10 a year for 'em. Now, it's gone the other way. And from a pure value perspective, you're better off buying tickets to the games you want to attend on the secondary market than donating to IPTAY and buying tickets to all 7 home games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those who pay a lot of money to IPTAY...

Dec 9, 2018, 8:11 PM

aren't necessarily doing it for the tickets. As you pointed out, that are generally plenty of tickets available on the secondary markets. People are, however, paying these ever increasing fees in order to to hold-on to their premium parking spaces

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Those who pay a lot of money to IPTAY...

Dec 9, 2018, 9:01 PM

And many of these people have great lower bowl seats that they don't even bother to fill. I know that it is their prerogative, but I'm not a fan of it.

Dec 9, 2018, 7:51 PM

Seems to me they should build the East Zone Club over the Hill. Keep a tunnel under it for Williamson road passage. Don't screw up the North & South lower decks.

What about the scoreboard [and tiny big screen :-) ]?***

Dec 9, 2018, 7:59 PM

That was one of my recommendations***

Dec 9, 2018, 8:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Dec 9, 2018, 8:18 PM

I knew the questionnaire was coming but I still haven't seen it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"2018 Clemson Football Fan Experience Survey" e-mail

Dec 9, 2018, 8:27 PM

It has a link towards the bottom of the body of the e-mail.

Dec 9, 2018, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Re: My comments concerning IPTAY survey and premiums seats. ]

Search "IPTAY" in your email. I just found the email in mine.

My final comment was " Fill the Hill". I really would like the restrooms to be renovated. The ledge seats look cool too. I just want whatever is done to not change the feel of being at a Clemson game.

Dec 9, 2018, 8:46 PM

The ledge seats look cool, but, as I stated in my write-up, they will probably decrease stadium capacity, and, therefore, noise level.

Dec 9, 2018, 8:40 PM

How about just some better seats for "regular joe" seating instead of, or at least along with, any premium upgrades?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mere flim-flam stories and nothing but shams and lies

Dec 9, 2018, 9:11 PM

Rest rooms and concession areahave not changed in 40 years. FSU areas poor too. NC State very nice inside stadium.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2018, 9:24 PM

I would be ok with adding seating on the hill and premium above that endzone. I can’t remember who said it but do not mess with what we already have otherwise. It ain’t broke and don’t need fixin

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I sit in the regular West stands a few rows below premium seats

Dec 9, 2018, 9:41 PM

Many of which are empty for even big games. If Iptay needs more money they should:
• up the seat equity a little across the board
• sell parking separately

This would free up tickets for those that want them because a lot of people up their level to get the parking then buy the total allotted tickets selling many of horn when they can

As for premium - just fix the boxes we have - they could be a lot nicer

According to the survey, all 95 luxury boxes are filled.

Dec 9, 2018, 9:59 PM

And there is a waiting list.

I'm guessing that is the reason for the survey, to see what people are interested in paying for.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: According to the survey, all 95 luxury boxes are filled.

Dec 10, 2018, 11:58 AM

Many of the luxury boxes are leased by corporations and the expense is an entertainment tax writeoff. Raise tgge price of the existing boxes to see "what the market will bear". Raise the price until there is no more waiting list.

Dec 9, 2018, 9:59 PM

I would agree premium seats tend to sit empty. Even if your team is having a good year, unless it's a premier game they tend to look pretty sparse. Also, you should never build your facility for how many would come to the biggest game of the year. If you can sell 95,000 for uscjr once every 2 years, what do you do with those seats the other games in-between.

The other issue, in many stadiums the primo club suites include seats in the stadium in case guests want to actually watch the game. Those are rarely used. As other Tneters have pointed out, what happens when the pendulum swings in the other way. Not for a long time I hope, but it will eventually.

Then again we walked to the games from Johnstone, in the snow, up hill both ways, in wooden shoes, and we were glad to have them.

Good thread.

Dec 9, 2018, 10:03 PM

I’ve received the email and survey, but haven’t replied yet. It is good to hear the perspective and experiences of others. I would add that I’m a ‘traditions’ guy, and conservative to moderate when implementing (or when considering supporting) change proposals, so will probably opine thusly. I am also glad to hear others expressing a desire to upgrade concessions and restrooms.

Interestingly, or coincidentally, enough, reading your self description AeroTiger, you could have been describing me. And while I too, am giving at a level above my seat equity, I find that as I enter into my third year of retirement - and my personal financial situation is becoming somewhat ‘steady state’ - I am going to have to adjust my IPTAY donation, accordingly. The 2020 giving level increases pretty much cemented that decision for me.

I will still be giving ‘above’ my seat equity. Thus, if that is IPTAY’s criteria for continuing to support/fund a successful sports program, I can at least look in the mirror and know ‘I’m All In’.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

My wife and I were discussing the survey and premium seats.

Dec 9, 2018, 10:15 PM

We love the idea of a premium experience, to be an option for people in addition to regular seats. I think there is room for everyone to enjoy Clemson football, whether you want to sit in a luxury box with gourmet food and drink, or sit in the bleachers and eat hot dogs. Honestly, Clemson football needs as many high level donors as it can get in order to keep up with the facility arms race and continue to provide the football program all it needs.

My wife and I talked about the idea of premium seating. It appeals for a lot of reasons. We like the idea of packing up our car, and going to games with our two boys for years to come. We want better food choices, nicer restrooms, more leg room, etc. But when we also thought about it in practical terms. We live out of state a few hours away from Clemson. Do we really want to devote a whole day to Clemson football 7 Saturdays each fall? That means that our boys can't play sports if they have games on Saturdays. That means missing out on other social and family activities that occur on those Saturdays. That also means that we are away from home for at least a day, if not most of the weekend, most of the fall. Even though we want a premium experience, and can afford it, is it really worth the time commitment and the financial commitment?

Conversely, we can save those thousands of dollars and do something else with that money, like put it toward our sons' education fund, or buy a vacation home. We can stay home, watch the games in HD in comfort, have all of the food and drink we want, have no line for the bathroom, not have to contend with traffic, not sit in hot/miserable weather, and still be able to watch the game while still having a well-rounded life on Saturdays.

Don't get me wrong, we love Clemson football games. But for us, we would rather pick a game or two a year to attend, while staying home for the others. That is what IPTAY is up against in this day and age. I imagine we are not the only family who loves Clemson football and can afford to pay for premium seating, but simply don't feel that it is worth the time and money.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

having younger children at home

Dec 10, 2018, 9:06 AM

I give to IPTAY at Orange level and usually just pick 1 home game and 1 away game to attend each season. I'm like you in that I would rather at this stage of my life for my money and my time to be focused on my kids. It's a win that I can watch them in HD all the other games.

Dec 9, 2018, 10:22 PM

I too am retired and on a fixed income. I give as much as I can afford to IPTAY - it's not only about getting a parking space and football tickets but supporting my Alma mater as well. Clemson provided me with a great education and the ability to make a nice living so I also look at donating to IPTAY as a way of giving back to Clemson. I too donate well over my seat equity requirements...

Having said all that, if IPTAY pricing keeps going up as my retirement resources are more constrained, I can see the day where I may have to let IPTAY go. I don't really want to do this, but I'm not rich and at the end of the day my immediate family needs come first. Clemson's relatively affordable family atmosphere is what separates us from many other Universities. I sure hope Clemson is careful about the path they are choosing because selling our soul to the affluent and corporate crowd will kill the very thing that makes Clemson special.

One of the survey questions dealt with IPTAY donation value. One of the things I suggested to give more value to our IPTAY donations is to include free Stadium Seats (i.e. Tiger Seatbacks) as part of the IPTAY season ticket purchase instead of making it an additional cost. Doubt that will ever happen but they asked...

Like OP, I too was concerned with the tone and tenor of the IPTAY survey questions. I provided the following in the final "write-in" portion of the survey:

"The majority of Clemson fans (and I suspect IPTAY donors) are not folks that can afford most of the luxury type seating upgrades/questions contained in this survey. From the questions in this survey, I'm somewhat concerned that the focus of any Stadium upgrades are targeting the wealthy among us and not the majority of fans who sit in the "regular" part of the stadium. I understand that some luxury upgrades are necessary to raise funds and make the stadium a modern attractive venue, but it is the thousands of "regular Joe" donors (IPTAY level and lower donors) that fill the stands - not the wine sippers in the luxury suites. A good portion of the Stadium upgrades must be beneficial to the majority of IPTAY donors and not just the affluent folks who can afford to pay more for luxury amenities that the average IPTAY donor will never see. One thing I mentioned earlier in this survey is the need for shade over the North and South stands. Hard Rock Stadium in Miami built an open air canopy system as part of their their stadium renovation that provides shade to 92% of their fans. This is something that is desperately needed at Clemson that would benefit fans of all donation levels - not just those in the luxury suites.

Please consider that many of us are already donating as much as we can afford on fixed budgets and adding a bunch of high end luxury upgrades for a select few does nothing for the majority of us sitting in the regular sections of the stadium. After all - it is the regular folks filling the stands that provide the awesome and intimidating game day experience that characterizes Death Valley - not the suite owners."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2018, 10:42 PM

Excellent post - and idea.

Dec 10, 2018, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: My comments concerning IPTAY survey and premiums seats. ]

The people that would be hanging out in the Club area are those that sit the whole game and don't yell except to tell fans to sit down. I'm not so sure the noise level would go down. Those people don't yell. Even when the opposing team is attempting a fourth down conversion and trying to audible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic