Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
First Clemson Football Memory
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

First Clemson Football Memory

Jun 29, 2019, 9:16 PM

I can't remember the year but it was about 30 years ago and I was maybe 6. My grandfather (RIP) was a huge CU fan, alumni and supporter as I would later learned told me he was going to take me to my first football game!

I was excited and asking lots of questions. He mentioned something about going to wake forest and I became very confused. I didn't know the whole family was going but sounds good to me! The next day I asked him what time we were leaving that weekend and he told me sometime in the afternoon. At that time I made a comment to the tune of, why would Forrest be asleep that late in the day? Why wouldn't his parents wake him up?

I have a cousin named Forrest, basically the same age as me. Lots of laughs from my grandpa that day. Thinking back on that memory brings back some great memories. Miss my grandpa a lot and I wish he could have seen the Tigers recent rise to dominance but I know he is smiling and looking down on all of us!

Random memory, thanks for listening...err...reading.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

day after i turned 12 my first game

Jun 29, 2019, 9:46 PM

Richie Luzzi returns missed FG 108 yards

Sept. 28, 1968: The official NCAA record books don't list any returns longer than 100 yards, but Clemson fans and historians know Richie Luzzi was eight yards deep in the end zone when he caught Georgia's 47-yard missed field goal attempt and ran it back for what still stands as the longest play in Clemson history. The three-time defending ACC champs lost the game in Athens, Ga., 31-13, but Luzzi's play in the second quarter gave the Tigers some momentum -- and history.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: day after i turned 12 my first game

Jun 29, 2019, 10:16 PM

"The catch"
1978 Lamecocks game. Fuller to Butler for the game winner. I was a sophomore in high school and had just made my decision to go to Clemson. I had never set foot on campus until I went for orientation. I fell in love with Clemson immediately. Best decision of my life.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Re: day after i turned 12 my first game

Jun 30, 2019, 11:34 AM

Sorry to call you out, but the Catch as in 1977. At Williams Brice. It was the first time Clemson and the Coots were on TV.

Re: First Clemson Football Memory

Jun 29, 2019, 10:24 PM

1978 Gator Bowl. Woody Hayes punching Charlie Bauman.

Jun 29, 2019, 10:43 PM

Not sure it was my first game but it was one of my first games. The first few Tiger games were Big Thursday games. My most memorable was tha brawl when S. Carolina frat boys dressed in Clemson love alike uniforms and a brawl started when Clemson stormed the field. This was pregame. It was early 60s.

I don't remember my first game.

Jun 29, 2019, 10:49 PM

I was probably teething.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fuller to Butler at WillieB... and ever since.***

Jun 29, 2019, 11:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember the ride home after a Clemson Carolina game

Jun 29, 2019, 11:27 PM

Around 8 maybe?

But the game against GT celebrating the millionth fan is the first I remember.

I peed next to frank Howard.

Jun 29, 2019, 11:49 PM

I remember I was roughly an eight year old kid running around Death Valley in the early 70’s. There was a mesh top Clemson cap being sold around the stadium for $5. Some man saw me eyeballing that hat and walked up to me and said, “ i’ll pay half if you’ll pay half.” Those were great days! Wish I still had that cap.

The "Orange Shoes Game" vs NC State in 1967

Jun 30, 2019, 12:08 AM

is the earliest clear memory, where I cam recall any detail. It stands out because Clemson always wore black shoes, as did pretty much everybody in those days. NCST, however, was known for their white shoes. Clemson players hit the field in orange shoes that day and upset the 10th ranked Wolfpack. I was 7 years old and have some fuzzy memories of the Alabama game earlier that year, but no such detail. I had attended Clemson games since I was a baby, and have vague memories from the early 60s of my father telling me to listen and I could "hear the leather popping".

https://clemsontigers.com/the-orange-shoes-game/

Message was edited by: Smiling Tiger®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jun 30, 2019, 12:34 AM

1977 Gator Bowl against Pitt with Dan Marino. We were seated where the Pitt team came out of the locker room. I can remember my mama saying she wished she had bought a dozen of eggs to throw at the players as they came out onto the field......Lol

Jun 30, 2019, 10:20 PM

Funny how our minds work. It was actually Matt Kavanaugh that QB’d Pitts’ destruction of us in ‘77

Wow..my first memory is fairly vague of my first Clemson

Jun 30, 2019, 9:47 AM

game. I think it was around 1970 or 1971 at a game in Atlanta with Georgia Tech. All I can recall was holding a orange and purple pom pom and sitting on wooden bleachers at Bobby Dodd Stadium. Of course we got beat and I think I was 7 or so. My mom and dad and aunt and I all drove together to Atlanta for that game......I never got a solid confirmation from my mom we actually went to this game but I do not think I made this up. I believe that was my first Clemson game. :)

Jun 30, 2019, 10:24 AM

The first memory of a Clemson game for me is very vague. I know it was a rivalry game in Columbia, I was with my father and we were Carolina fans. We sat in the lower bowl on the home side. The east side upper deck of the cockroach had yet to be constructed, so you could see the big State Paper logo on top of their building.

A more vivid memory that stands out was the ‘77 game. Never seen momentum swing so wildly as in that game. BTW, that was the first time the rivalry game was ever on national television. It was scheduled to be aired in ‘63 but Kennedy got assassinated the day before and then there was no football the next day. Clemson has something like a 23-0 halftime lead, then the second half is all Carolina. “Sunshine” Ronny Bass throws a 4th down pass over the middle and that receiver somehow eludes tacklers all the way to the endzone for the go ahead score with just over two minutes remaining. ......Then the Carolina bench with all their “No Cigar Today” t-shirts...... But you know how the story ends.

Of course the next year there’s the Gator Bowl against Ohio State....... Now I’m starting to be riveted to Clemson football. Kids in my neighborhood of Columbia were pretty much split between allegiances. Relationship-wise, I gravitated toward two eventual life long friends who were of the orange persuasion. I still chuckle when I think of one coot kid bragging about George Rodgers and Big John replying, “Yep, ole Big George only set foot in a Clemson endzone twice last Saturday. .....And both times, he was on his way to the locker room.”

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1948, I was ten years old. My dad

Jun 30, 2019, 10:27 AM

was just beginning enough to afford tickets. He took me to all home games until he died two years later. In those days, men wore coats and ties and ladies dressed up. He wouldn't let me wear jeans. I wore "dress" pants. My dad grew up in the Fant's Grove area very near Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2019, 10:39 AM

1981 vs nc state I was 10 yr old . Cousin took me and my sister to our 1st game. Still have game program looks new and orange cups. We tailgated with other family members . It was awesome . Had only been to watch Furman went with church youth group before that. It was like going from high school to the NFL to me.

Jun 30, 2019, 11:53 AM

I went to the Citadel game in 1978 when I was 14 years old. A Citadel fan said to my friend, who had a Tiger Paw painted on his face, “Excuse me, but something must have stepped on your face.” Without hesitation came the reply, “yeah, you will also find those same paw prints all over your bulldog players’ ##### after this game!”

We rolled on the floor laughing before “rotfl” was cool...

Jun 30, 2019, 12:18 PM

Earliest memory 1959, I walked through the den where daddy was watching TV, he said "come watch Clemson, they're playing LSU in the Sugar Bowl. I watched a few minutes, we were wearing our Sugar Blues, battling Billy Cannon and the Chinese Bandits. We dropped a ball in the end zone, cinching the Heisman for Billy and the National Championship for LSU. Proud to say my husband owns one of those Sugar Blues jerseys and I need to figure out who wore it during the game!

I don't remember my first Clemson football game

Jun 30, 2019, 12:29 PM

because I was a freshman, drunk as a well, college freshman can be at his football game as an alum. Spent most of the game fall8ng down on the hill, and honestly don't remember much after that. I could look up who it was, but maybe later...

My 2nd game was UGA. 1987. I do remember Terry Allen and Tracy Johnson having good days, and Rodney Williams having a decent day passing day, but more importantly he ran ran Danny's option to darn near perfection. It was an AWESOME day.. And yes, I did fall down a few times on the hill, but frankly it was ome of the most fun days of my entire life. I grew up out of state, and my Dad was a Notre Dame fan. So before that day, I honestly didn't know much about Clemson. My blood coverted to ORANGE that day as, following a safety in UGA' nd zone, we methodically marched down field, and Treadwell kicked a hame-winner (for the 2nd year ina row) against those red and silver mutts. Man, what a day. Loved our Tigers to the core from then till now, and to this day will cut you with my pocket knife if you talk crap about Clemson University!

Anyway, enough for now. Go Tigers!!! Kick-off can't get soon enough!!

Jun 30, 2019, 1:24 PM

My first game was October 16, 1976. Clemson played Duke to an 18-18 tie. It was my first time tailgating to. I had a blast. I remember the that beautiful sunny day because being a big Cincinnati Reds fan I remember Clemson’s announcer giving the final score Reds 5-1 over the Yankee’s. I went with my best friend and friends of his mom. One of them was a doctor, we drive down in a Mercedes. I was living the High Class life for a day!

If anyone has a photo of the stadium from 1976 I would love to have a copy if you don’t mind sending me a copy. Send me a T-Mail.

Thank you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2019, 10:39 PM

Versus Maryland at DV1958 or ‘59 I think. Was on the sidelines with my father. Don’t remember who won but I do remember an official pulling a Maryland player’s front tooth and using his red penalty flag to it. That happened right in front of the Clemson bench

Watching "The Catch" game on ABC regional braodcast***

Jul 1, 2019, 7:29 AM

My first memory is being at a friend's house listening to

Jul 1, 2019, 8:37 AM

Jim Phillips call the NCSU game in '76. I was 10. We weren't very good that year and went into that game 1-3-2. Lost 38-21 to a crappy NCSU team, but ended up the season beating the coots. This kid's parents were my parents' best friends and his dad was an engineer Clemson alum. They had Clemson stuff all over the house and I was fascinated by some of it. When I heard Jim on the radio painting the picture of what was happening on the field, I was hooked. I told my mom later "Well, I get it, now." And I listened to every game.

2 years later, this same kid and his dad took me to my first game against Duke, a 28-8 win in '78. 'Magical' is the only adjective I can come up with for that day. We tailgated and ate turkey sandwiches from Vince Perone's in Greenville, and it was the best turkey sandwich I've ever had till this day.

Clemson vs. FSU 2009

Jul 1, 2019, 9:33 AM

I was about 8, wasn't my first game, but probably my most memorable. I've been to probably 30 Clemson home games since but that 3rd/4th quarter was the loudest I can remember Death Valley ever getting. Louder than Louisville 2016 imo.

Mine was the punt-rooskie. I was 5, and remember it raining

Jul 1, 2019, 10:32 AM

being in the upper deck (TDS Section C about 5 row from the rail) and scared i was going to topple over the railing it was so steep. I remember how quiet it was when everyone was walking out of the stadium after we lost. I remember my dad being pissed and yelling at some FSU fans lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic