Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Motel “scalping.” In addition to hosting a home game,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Motel “scalping.” In addition to hosting a home game,

Sep 13, 2018, 6:31 PM

this weekend is also “Parents Weekend.” I have a freshman granddaughter this year and her parents want to attend. Events happen Friday night, so, they thought it would be best if they spent the night there. Hampton Inn charges $500 a night. They checked other motels and they were close to that amount. This is absurd! You can’t tell me these are typical weekend rates. Don’t we have a scalping law in this state?

Think about the family that is so proud that they saved for years and finally got the means together to send their child to college. They do not want to miss “Parents Weekend” but cannot atend due to the price of motel rooms.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Motel “scalping.” In addition to hosting a home game,

Sep 13, 2018, 6:39 PM

Motel scalping has been going on for years now. That's why you have to make reservations a year in advance basically if you want to get a decent price or avoid the two night minimum/no cancellation. $500 is about standard for the motel you are talking about for a football game. Tell them to stay in Greenville instead.

Sep 13, 2018, 6:41 PM

Less than 1/2 your price - just requires a little drive from Greenville.

Sep 13, 2018, 6:41 PM

Don't think you can call that scalping, motels have rates they can charge and they are gonna do the high rates on high demand weekends

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep, and two-night minimums

Sep 13, 2018, 9:11 PM

Clemson area hotels have been doing this for many years. You're gonna drop $1000 for hotel rooms on a typical football weekend.

Welcome to big time college football.

$1000 for a football weekend hotel?

Sep 13, 2018, 9:41 PM

I've been going to games for 50 years in a great many places where the Tigers have played. I've stayed a lot of places in big cities and small towns, in motels from Motel 6 up to the Clemson team hotel in big cities. I have never ever dropped $1000 for a two night stay.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: $1000 for a football weekend hotel?

Sep 13, 2018, 10:23 PM

here are your rates for Oct 19&20, Homecoming weekend. 2 adults. Hampton Inn leads the pack at $1440.00. Courtyard only $998.00. But there are some cheaper ones out of town, yes.

https://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?aid=356980&label=gog235jc-city-XX-us-clemson-unspec-us_sc-com-L%3Axu-O%3AwindowsS10-B%3Achrome-N%3AXX-S%3Abo-U%3Ac-H%3As&sid=ea3fd47a1142bc9260027cdb88ea5271&sb=1&src=city&src_elem=sb&error_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.booking.com%2Fcity%2Fus%2Fclemson.html%3Faid%3D356980%3Blabel%3Dgog235jc-city-XX-us-clemson-unspec-us_sc-com-L%253Axu-O%253AwindowsS10-B%253Achrome-N%253AXX-S%253Abo-U%253Ac-H%253As%3Bsid%3Dea3fd47a1142bc9260027cdb88ea5271%3Binac%3D0%26%3B&ss=Clemson&ssne=Clemson&ssne_untouched=Clemson&city=20116031&checkin_month=10&checkin_monthday=19&checkin_year=2018&checkout_month=10&checkout_monthday=21&checkout_year=2018&no_rooms=1&group_adults=2&group_children=0&b_h4u_keep_filters=&from_sf=1

Sep 13, 2018, 6:59 PM

I paid $325 a night for the Days Inn last season for Auburn game.

The hotels in Clemson make all their money on 10 weekends a year. Also it’s not price gouging unless the price is above the highest allowable rate. There should be a sign inside each rooms door that shows the max nightly rate.

Sep 13, 2018, 7:12 PM

It's called supply and demand. If they can successfully sell that rate, why shouldn't they?

Sep 13, 2018, 7:20 PM

As others have said, Greenville is less than an hour drive (on a normal day). There are many more options there.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2018, 7:27 PM

Supply and demand baby. Do thy not teach economics at Clemson. I didn’t know y’all were a liberal arts school?

Sep 13, 2018, 7:37 PM

Do "thy" not teach basic spelling at Georgia Southern? I didn't know y'all were an elementary school.

Clemson has a good economics department.

Sep 13, 2018, 8:19 PM

I mention that because you clearly didn't take any econ courses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sep 13, 2018, 8:31 PM

It’s not scalping because the consumer has the right to choose to stay there or go somewhere else. It’s only scalping if rates are increased suddenly to take advantage of natural disaster situations like a hurricane. The hotels always have very high rates on game weekends. They can raise them as they please in that situation. They take the same risk of not being able to book that room by raising it to such a rate.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2018, 8:34 PM

Anderson, SC is nearby and has reasonable prices.

Not sure where you’re looking but prices have dropped

Sep 13, 2018, 8:46 PM

You posted this 2 days ago too. But, in response, hotels have a sign

Sep 13, 2018, 8:52 PM

Usually on the back of the bathroom door, that states their maximum price. Its usually like $1200 for a midtier hotel.
I don't like the cost of the hotels in Clemson, and even though I love staying there, I stay out of town and drive in.
I also don't like living in California. But since I can't make a living wage in Charleston, I live across the country.
I'm sure many people would love to buy a home somewhere else, but economics limit those decisions. This is no different.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yu could not find a job in Charleston

Sep 13, 2018, 9:45 PM

That pays a living wage?

I literally make over 3x as much, have actual medical benefits,

Sep 13, 2018, 10:29 PM

and a pension out here for the same job I'd work in Charleston. The hospital systems make billions, literally, every year, but pay there staff peanuts in Charleston.
If I wanted to work 60hrs a week, Charleston could work, but I'm not living my life like that.

I spent 3.5 yrs working 6 days (12h) in CA, then going home to Charleston for 8 days on a two week cycle... I paid out of pocket for my flights, airport parking, and a rental space in CA and I was still better off than working at MUSC, Trident, or for Bons Secours system.. that's sad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

um, they cancelled Parents Weekend

Sep 13, 2018, 9:09 PM

2018 Fall Family Weekend

GENERAL INFORMATION
Family Weekend Events - Update
Ticketed Family Weekend Events - Canceled

Due to the impending storm, ticketed Clemson Fall Family Weekend events are canceled. All families who registered for Family Weekend events should have received an email update regarding this weekend, including information regarding refund policies. We encourage you to review the schedule to learn more. The steps to access the schedule are stated below. Canceled events include:

CORE Kayaking and S'mores Trip
Canvas Painting Class at Uptown Art
Tiger Tailgate
Morning Paddle
Morning Hike in the Issaqueena Clemson Forest
Clemson Farewell Brunch
Greenville Rooftop Brunch

https://www.clemson.edu/parents/stay-connected/family-weekend.html

Sep 13, 2018, 9:17 PM

Pretty typical for any football town

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Try Easley.***

Sep 13, 2018, 10:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2018, 10:15 PM

Go to VRBO or airbnb. Lots of decent deals

I have a room in Walhalla for a good deal

Sep 13, 2018, 11:31 PM

If they want to hang out with an 8 yr old boy and a 1.5 yr old labrador. Not sure which is wilder.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic