Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I cancelled my DirecTV last night, but got a call from them
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

I cancelled my DirecTV last night, but got a call from them

May 2, 2019, 11:20 AM

this morning, begging me to come back!! I cancelled after my 12 months @ $31 net ran out, and my May bill jumped to $128. I got them down to $60 per month last night, but I wanted more. Last year I had gotten a $300 Visa card plus free NFL Season Ticket. Last night, she wouldn't do that, so I cancelled!

I got a call at 8:30 this morning. Got them down to $55 per month, free NFL Ticket, plus a $200 Visa card. And...get this, only a 30 day commitment! I can quit after 30 days and make $145!! I will probably stay with it through the football season, so I can watch the Texans games, and maybe Raiders. I can get everything else I watch on YouTube Live.

Don't be suckered in to the high satellite and cable prices. They are losing customers every month, and are desperate to keep you. You just have to play hardball with them!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I cancelled my DirecTV last night, but got a call from them

May 2, 2019, 11:46 AM

That's interesting. I lost reception on Direct this month. The leaves came out and blocked the dish. I just bought an HD antenna and I'm exploring cutting Direct to go to streaming. I hate not having a digital guide on screen though

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HD Antenna is awesome

May 2, 2019, 11:52 AM

I’ve got one and I love it

Re: HD Antenna is awesome

May 2, 2019, 12:07 PM

What channels do you get? I am paying 225 per month with internet. I am thinking about making a change. What do you have and what does it all cost?

Basically all the local channels

May 2, 2019, 12:18 PM

As long as you’re not crazy far from the originating broadcast point they come in really clear. We stream most everything else.

I believe the one I got was $60 and well worth it. I’d look into Sling, YouTube, or Hulu’s live TV platforms.

At our house we have the fiber internet, digital antenna, Hulu, Netflix, HBO, and share an ESPN/Fox sports/NBC sports login so we get pretty much all the live sports.

Re: Basically all the local channels

May 2, 2019, 1:05 PM

What is your total cost for everything per month?

Re: Basically all the local channels

May 2, 2019, 3:25 PM

$130/mo with the 1000 mbps internet through Comporium

May 2, 2019, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Re: HD Antenna is awesome ]

$60 for 200 mbps internet through Comcast

Dropped cable at home and my office and switched to YouTube TV $40 a month and haven't had any issues. Use the same account at home and office.

I like the set up better in fact.

Was $200 plus every month just at home before; another $100 at office as well.

May 2, 2019, 1:29 PM

So youre paying 100 for everything? Do you get all of the sports?

May 2, 2019, 3:44 PM

All the sports, I watch all the b-ball and baseball games. Not sure if they will get the acc network or not; I can access the streams for now. We have all the other ones though Fox Sports South, Sec garbage, so I don’t see why they won’t. Watched all the football games we didn’t attend.

A lot of stuff is 4K like Netflix so that’s nice too

I can’t believe I waited as long as I did.

May 2, 2019, 4:52 PM

That's awesome.

May 2, 2019, 5:31 PM

One caveat; We used fire stick, chrome cast and roku devices at first on our main tv and it was always slightly glitchy. Skip here or there, buffering etc. I went and bought a new smart tv And it worked much better; don’t think it’s buffered once since.

May 2, 2019, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Re: I cancelled my DirecTV last night, but got a call from them ]

Direct TV Now has a digital guide, and it will be on the screen depending which streaming device you use. Firestick is what we use and I like it a lot. I was hesitant to switch over for similar reasons, but once you get used to it, it's not too bad.

All that said, they just raised their prices, and switched some channels around, so it's creeping up toward the cost of basic DirecTV.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most TV stations transmit guide info with their HD signal

May 2, 2019, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Re: I cancelled my DirecTV last night, but got a call from them ]

and newer TV's display pretty much the same info on the antenna broadcast screen that you get on cable.

Buy the antenna

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2019, 12:55 PM

Im About to do the same tomorrow, I called them about 2 months ago and they wouldn’t go down on my bill. So I called spectrum and they couldn’t get me hooked up saying I had a hot spot or something.
So I never canceled the DTV because I was waiting until spectrum had me hooked up.
But tomorrow I’m just telling DTV to disconnect me right now . If they don’t come off the bill I will be watching Netflix until Dish can get to my house.

Canceling Spectrum TV this coming Monday.

May 2, 2019, 1:01 PM

I am now on a free trial of Hulu+Live TV but will keep it. No issues so far except for a little lag, but I think that is due to my Chromecast stick. Will probably get another Roku stick once I am fully committed to Hulu. Plus, I know Hulu will have the ACC Network.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Canceling Spectrum TV this coming Monday.

May 2, 2019, 1:12 PM

We had issues streaming with roku, fire stick and chrome cast as well even with quick internet. Once we swapped to a smart tv the issues went away.

I have Chromecast sticks on both of my TVs, but the

May 2, 2019, 1:30 PM

Roku stick works better. But, it is hooked to the TV closest to the router.

The Clemson football games I watch from YouTube stream very well on the Roku with no drop out, but constantly drop out when streaming through Chromecast. The Roku claims to have extended range.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Ypu essentially bought an upgraded, more

May 3, 2019, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Canceling Spectrum TV this coming Monday. ]

Expensive roku.

I have a samsung smart tv that is dumb as dirt. It is old though so the technology in my roku is better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

May 2, 2019, 1:24 PM

I did the same thing. Went to Hulu for $39. Direct called me back and made your same offer to me. I asked to be refunded for all the years they overcharged me and I would come back they said no so I said no.

Re: KODI / HD Antenna / r/CFBStreams

May 2, 2019, 2:06 PM

FTW!!!!!!!!!!

All Free (with internet service of course)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

going to the home games are a lot more fun

May 2, 2019, 2:43 PM

Than watching on tv. Support Clemson.

I tried for months to cancel Direct tv and never had the chance to speak with a live person. I finally stopped payment on the checks and now they call three times a day wanting my back payments. Crooks of the highest order. My Direct bill was 168/month and I now get Spectrum internet and home phone for 128. I rarely watch tv except for sports that interest me and I get most of them through my smart tv.

May 2, 2019, 3:51 PM

I’m paying $20 per month for every channel under the sun with glitch tv. Got a digital antenna for local and use a Nvidia shield for streaming. No regrets ditching satellite!

Message was edited by: Touch_The_Rock79

Could someday help the "old folks" with TV?

May 2, 2019, 8:04 PM

I've known for a long time that you can get a better TV/internet deal if you push the providers & IF you're really willing to walk - but you GOTTA be willing to walk.

I understand the basics & have tried cable, Dish, ATT-UVERSE - all eventually becoming way too expensive. I'd like to dump my current service NOW - but all these new choices/options have left old dudes like me in the dust.

If any of you could give us a short tutorial on alternate plans & how they work, it would be a big help. Frankly, just haven't kept up, & we "seniors" feel like we're swimming in a deep lake at midnight & a big fog has rolled in too!

Very easy to get so far behind on technology - feels like we can never catch up.

I guess I'm one of the "old folk" now, being not far from 70

May 2, 2019, 9:52 PM

But I do try to keep up on technology. You are correct, when dealing with DirecTV(and probably cable too), you have to be willing to actually cancel. I have their Choice package, plus the Sports Pack, and the best I could do was $56 per month, until I actually cancelled.

Last year, I finally canceled, they called the next day and I get $300 Visa card plus NFL Sunday Ticket. I had to agree to stay for 12 months. Netted ou to about $31 per month.

So, when I called last night, the best I could get was the same $56 per month, but she said she couldn't do the Visa card or free NFL Ticket. So I told her to cancel me.

Again, this morning another lady calls, and I get the $200 card plus NFL Ticket. With only a one month commitment!

So, for now, I am keeping DirecTV and staying with YouTube Live TV. If I keep both through football season, my total cost for both is $80 per month.

I am hoping YouTube will have ACCN in August, but if not, I will switch to Hulu. I prefer the YouTube interface, because I usually watch on my laptop, I can put the channel guide in any order I like, and can scroll through live previews of the channels, see the scores of various games, without actually clicking on the channel. I can do the same with my firestick on the TV, but I like the laptop better. A 14 inch screen, 30 inches away, appears larger than my 55 inch TV, 10 feet away!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Could someday help the "old folks" with TV?

May 3, 2019, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Could someday help the "old folks" with TV? ]

For $50/mo. you can get PSVue, which is the streaming service that I use. It is the one that is most like the cable that you are used to. And, they have already announced that they will have the ACC Network. PSVue has all of the channels, sports especially, and has an unlimited DVR that stores everything for a month. I've been using PSVue for a year now, and it has really worked well. Get yourself one of the NEW Amazon Fire TV sticks (not the older version that they are still selling). PSVue works great on that, and you'll have Netflix and Amazon Prime available, too. You won't miss your cable.

I haven't tried PS Vue yet, but YouTube's unlimited DVR is

May 30, 2023, 9:25 PM

for 9 or 10 months, vs the one month DVR on PS Vue.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic