Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mitchell Mayes drops from 4 to 3 star...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Mitchell Mayes drops from 4 to 3 star...

Jul 24, 2019, 9:06 AM

What’s the deal with that? I’ve read nothing but good reviews so don’t understand.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yo offset what ESPN did,247(Scout) had to drop him

Jul 24, 2019, 9:09 AM

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/235154/mitchell-mayes

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That shows him as 5-star and #1 at position

Jul 24, 2019, 9:21 AM

what did ESPN do? Why would the composite show him as #5 at position, and 247 has him at 49???

https://247sports.com/player/mitchell-mayes-46051711/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mitchell Mayes drops from 4 to 3 star...

Jul 24, 2019, 9:24 AM

all that matters is where our coaching staff has him ranked, and I believe he was at or near the top of their board.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 12:41 PM

Totally agree Balm.

Jul 24, 2019, 9:26 AM

I really don't understand the drop. Mayes did well enough in his Charlotte Opening Regional to qualify for the finals. He didn't have a strong performance at the finals, but I would think qualifying for the event is 4* level.

null

Struggled at the Opening

Jul 24, 2019, 9:30 AM

And carrying too much weight. Definitely not a 3 star but likely an over correction for the ESPN ranking

247 has proven they put more weight on

Jul 24, 2019, 12:43 PM

The Underwear Olympics than Rivals and ESPN.

ESPN’s rankings are garbage

Jul 24, 2019, 4:34 PM

They don’t have the staff to evaluate and rank properly. 247 and Rivals have proven to be the most accurate. That doesn’t mean they don’t miss but they miss less than ESPN does.

There’s no way Mayes is the 11th best player in the country just like there’s no way DJU is the 50th best player.

Oh no! So the guy we evaluated and offered was an impostor?

Jul 24, 2019, 9:49 AM

If not, and he is in fact the same guy, nothing to see here. I only care what our coaches think.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 10:40 AM

What part of Clemson never winning a recruiting title do you not understand? Do you really think they will "let" us win this year?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 11:00 AM

It seems anything out of Clemson's control will be won/given to someone else. That's why what our coaches do and think is all that really matters. Same for the players.

Jul 25, 2019, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Mitchell Mayes drops from 4 to 3 star... ]

I had the same conspiratorial feeling ... but the facts are facts . If we get a commit from both Flowe and Burch there's nothing they can do but bow and stay quiet .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 24, 2019, 12:26 PM

Mayes is still a 5* on ESPN ... which means he is as real a 5* as any of our others. As long as any one of the 3 major services says he is a 5*, then that's what he is.

Psst! I’ve got a secret for you.

Jul 24, 2019, 2:16 PM

Recruiting rankings mean nothing. HTH

Re: Psst! I’ve got a secret for you.

Jul 24, 2019, 4:38 PM

They mean something if you plan on winning a national championship. 8 of the last 10 national champions had at least two top five recruiting classes in the previous four years.

I thought we were past this

Jul 24, 2019, 4:51 PM [ in reply to Psst! I’ve got a secret for you. ]

Recruiting rankings do matter. Especially when it comes to winning championships. It’s no coincidence that when our recruiting rankings started to steadily rise, so did the win totals.

At this point if you say they don’t matter, you are either a fool or a fool who chooses not to believe math and science.

Coaching and development also matter a lot, but to say that rankings don’t matter is idiotic.

Re: I thought we were past this

Jul 24, 2019, 8:04 PM

So you all are saying Clemson won the last two with top 5 classes(composite over 4 years)? What if I could prove that wrong?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I thought we were past this

Jul 24, 2019, 8:07 PM [ in reply to I thought we were past this ]

https://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

**sorry that does not add up to a top 5 class! In fact, it's outside the top 10. Development matters more.
Along with "your fair share of 4 and 5 star talent no doubt"! Plenty of other teams consistently above us that haven't been there since the 80's.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who said anything about top 5?

Jul 24, 2019, 8:26 PM

Your rankings also don’t account for balancing out player average vs class size.

Can’t believe this has to be repeated again on here but some people never learn, look up the Blue Chip Ratio.

In very simple terms, if you don’t recruit more 4 and 5 stars than 2 and 3 stars, you won’t win a championship. This is 15+ years worth of data. If your roster isn’t 50% or greater of blue chip recruits, you might be good but you’re not championship level good. It’s not very complicated. The 2018 class was by all accounts an elite class but because it was so small, it wasn’t ranked as high. There has to be some logical thought applied to the raw rankings of team classes. If the coots have a class of 30 but they average a mid 3 star (88), their ranking will likely be higher than our class of 17 even though their average is a high 4 star (92).

We were over 50% last season

Jul 25, 2019, 9:22 AM

with 46 "elite" type players. By my(inept) counting ,we should be around 50-53 of those when 2019 numbers are updated.

The BEST Is Yet To Come !!

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Bud Elliott puts out a great piece every year about it

Jul 25, 2019, 9:44 AM

But I believe your numbers sound right. Only going to keep going up

Jul 24, 2019, 4:02 PM

Well for starters he chose to black out all his opening regional and finals numbers which normally isn't a great sign and he had an injury which didn't allow him to compete much at the opening finals and from what I hear he's a bit overweight and carrying his weight in bad spots for an OT.

Jul 24, 2019, 4:31 PM

Who cares...

Jul 25, 2019, 9:56 AM

Has anyone seen a situation like this in previous years? I dont remember any player with a 5 star ranking by one of the top services, drop to a 3 star ranking before the season is even started. Looks to me , they know this class is untouchable, but they dont want it to be the greatest of all time, so let's drop the only recruit we can . Come on ppl, if it walks like a duck..... .

Jul 25, 2019, 1:56 PM

Motivation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic