Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The "Best 4" argument is a can of worms opened last year to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,154

The "Best 4" argument is a can of worms opened last year to

Dec 3, 2018, 10:47 AM

allow Bama in and now it is out there every year.

If they allow that kind of thing to further creep in - at some point why even play the season?

Why not just have a combine at all the schools for the committee to go judge like a beauty pageant and then select the 4 "best" teams for the playoff - that is not much different than those saying disregard the game results if it is "obvious" a team is one of the best 4 teams.

Message was edited by: clmsntgr1®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Re: The "Best 4" argument is a can of worms opened last year to

Dec 3, 2018, 11:04 AM

I somewhat agree. The biggest issue with the "Best" vs "Deserving" argument is the media and anyone that is choosing Georgia to go to the playoff is confusing the word Best with Talented. Just because you are more talented doesn't mean you are the best. The "best" four team are a combination of talent and results on the field and rewarding teams in the power 5 for great/perfect years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The "Best 4" argument is a can of worms opened last year to

Dec 3, 2018, 12:03 PM

I would agree with the talent vs best argument and also put in coaching. Even without the most talented team, Coaching staffs that Dabo has put together can get the most outta any football player!!

"Four Best Teams" is in CFP Selection Committee Protocol

Dec 3, 2018, 11:12 AM

It's the foundation of the entire College Football Playoff. The commissioner of the Big 10 argued for conference champions. He lost because Mike Slive, the commissioner of the SEC, insisted on a protocol that enabled the 4 teams to include more than one from one conference (i.e. the SEC). We wouldn't even have the CFP without the "four best teams" because the commissioner of the SEC wouldn't have agreed to it's formation. We'd still be stuck with the BCS.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2016/10/24/selection-committee-protocol.aspx

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Media is polluting the meaning of “four best teams”

Dec 3, 2018, 11:19 AM

It’s not the four teams we “just know” are best, because we don’t know and never could.

It’s the four teams with the best overall resume. That does not equate to most deserving, it is the objective definition of four best. An example of most deserving would be letting someone with a tougher schedule, like UGA, even though they lost 2 games. This is flawed because how can you say you have a tough schedule if you’re gonna get a pass for losing 2 games? In fact, that then becomes the easiest schedule possible.

Never understood since the beginning why it wasn't 8 teams

Dec 3, 2018, 12:20 PM

and 3 games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Never understood since the beginning why it wasn't 8 teams

Dec 3, 2018, 12:57 PM

Too much too soon for the powers that be going from two to eight.

I think we will get eight before the current contract is up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They should have NEVER introduced that terminology

Dec 3, 2018, 11:23 AM

As you said, if the results of the season dont matter, then dont play the games. They are meaningless at that point. Just utterly dumb. I dont care if you truly are the best team - you still have to earn it!

their "best 4" argument is ONLY used to favor SEC teams.....

Dec 3, 2018, 11:36 AM

no other conference would have the luxury of losing their championship game as a 1-loss team........let alone still be in the picture as a 2-loss team.

Doesnt matter.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:00 PM

You could put ND, UGA, OU, and Ohio St on a dart board and blindly shoot darts to get the 3rd and 4th spots.

You'd be just as correct as these 4 as long as ND and UGA weren't pcked.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Ed Zachary.***

Dec 3, 2018, 12:01 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Last year and this year are very different situations.

Dec 3, 2018, 12:34 PM

Last year, we had no undefeated power 5 teams. We had one loss conference champion Clemson, one loss conference champion Oklahoma, one loss conference champion Georgia, two loss conference champion Ohio State, three loss conference champion USC, one loss non-conference champion Alabama, and one loss non-conference champion Wisconsin.

Alabama getting in last year wasn't so bad, since their resume was very good. It was much better than one loss Wisconsin's resume. OSU's 2 losses, and USC's 3 losses, were not compensated for by their conference championships. I'm fine with that.

This year, we have three undefeated power 5 teams, two of those with a conference championship, as well as one-loss Big 10 champ and one-loss Big XII champ. I don't think a one loss team without a conference champion would've gotten in this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Why attempt to apply logic to this and treat every

Dec 3, 2018, 12:39 PM

season differently when you can just make generalizations and blanket statements to fit your own conspiracy theories and agendas?

Lets just have the 2 or 3 Vegas oddsmakers decide!***

Dec 3, 2018, 12:42 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, it was started by ESPiN before the playoff...

Dec 3, 2018, 12:45 PM

and the POC bought into the idea that humans would recognize the best four better than the BCS computer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,154
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic