Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Media disrespect for Clemson is awesome
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Media disrespect for Clemson is awesome

Oct 17, 2018, 10:19 AM

for making great videos at seasons end to point out all the naysayers! Favorite of all time is post NATTY video featuring all the CU nonbelievers especially in Renfrow!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Media disrespect for Clemson is awesome

Oct 17, 2018, 10:33 AM

Dude, Clemson gets a ton of respect from the media. Has for several years now. Give it up already!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2018, 10:41 AM

Respectfully disagree. ESPN article after GA loss to LSU highlights OSU move to #2 and LSU jump to # 5. CU move to 3 buried at bottom. No Tigers in mid season All American list is ridiculous. Notre Dame seems to be the darling of sports shows with CU hardly mentioned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2018, 11:55 AM

We did have a bye week last week so it kinda makes sense for an article to focus on the teams that played that week.

Didn't ESPN's midseason All-American team have Hyatt and Etienne as first team, and XT and TL as freshman All-American?

You can always find a few individual pundits that say something you don't like, but overall we have gotten more respect than any other program outside of Bama, OSU, and possibly ND.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2018, 10:47 AM

All summer long the sports media hyped Clemson.

The close game against Syracuse really turned them.

I have a feeling they're about to turn back to hyping us again (not that it matters either way).

Oct 17, 2018, 11:08 AM

Agree it does not matter for team performance but it certainly affects national perspective of Clemson. For a recruit, I wonder how that may influence choices. Despite that, winning trumps negativity and our coaching culture surely is known by recruits by now. Frankly, I find it amusing and enjoyable when Clemson proves them wrong

Oct 17, 2018, 11:45 AM

The media is interested in one thing only.

Ratings.

There is no intentional disrespect from them simply a search for viewer ratings.

There are TONS more ND fans than Clemson and they will certainly tune in to hear the smoke being blown up the domer end parts.

Couple that to ESPN's SEC interests and the incredible quantity of Big 10 fans and you see what you see.

Any unusual situation gets discussed simply because it is unusual AKA KB transferring, Nebraska's famous son getting gut punched each week, Bosa withdrawing etc etc.

Win and there will be only 4 teams to discuss.....then two and then one.

Clemson is the One

Oct 17, 2018, 1:03 PM

I agree it’s annoying. The bias is not out of malice, it’s strictly about money. ESECPN OWNS the TV RIGHTS to the SEC. Those TV rights are currently valued at 4.77 billion dollars. Last year (2017) ESECPN paid the SEC over 500 million dollars which the SEC then distributed to each school to the tune of 33 million dollars for each school. FOX & ESECPN share the TV rights to the B1G. Those TV rights are currently valued at 2.5 billion dollars. Last year each B1G school received 32.7 million dollars from the B1G’s TV deal. The new B1G schools got less.

The ACC has no TV deal because it’s leaders were weak and stupid. Actually what was really going on was they had sweetheart deals with their friends and they didn’t want to hurt their friends feelings and take away their friends sweetheart deal.

The PAC12 OWNS its own TV rights. They’re not playing ball with the networks. Seems to be working out awesome for them, don’t you think?

The Big12 has no TV deal but Texas has its own TV deal. Nobody does greedy quite like Texas.

The point is, older people (like me) grew up watching sports, where the commentators HAD NO financial interest who won what. There used to be far less SPIN coming from the commentators. The result of that was, what your eyeballs were seeing, is what the commentators were talking about. Nowadays, the commentators working for ESECPN are obligated to market the product (SEC , B1G) that ESECPN has already paid for.

I’m extremely interested to see how much ESECPN’s tune changes next August when the ACC’s TV deal cranks up. I’m not used to and I will never get used to, sports being MARKETED. Sports to me have always been the ultimate meritocracy. You get what you earn. Line up, go at it, the winner is the winner.

These spin guys are men that will say whatever you pay them to say, I have zero respect for that.

Oct 17, 2018, 2:16 PM

I am one of those older people as well. The other big change is the number of hours of air time they must fill, both TV and radio. I grew up with 3 TV networks and 4 or 5 local radio stations, none were dedicated to sports. Society today craves controversy and outrage. The sport networks feed into both. I have stopped watching most of what happens on these channels outside of the actual contests.

Oct 17, 2018, 2:25 PM

It's the same in network news now. They spent more time and money on the look of the product than to the actual story. The facts take a back seat to advertising dollars. They have to fill 24/7 airtime with something.

As they say in the mafia movies, " It's not personal, it's business."

Getting respect

Oct 17, 2018, 3:58 PM

All we have to do is blow out ncs and the respect will come. Go Tigers.

Re: Getting respect

Oct 17, 2018, 4:10 PM

And three cheers to that!

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic