Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Meanwhile...at Florida State
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Meanwhile...at Florida State

Jul 16, 2019, 10:17 PM

<###### async src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js">

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Meanwhile...at Florida State

Jul 16, 2019, 10:23 PM

Why didn't they try to pursue Frost at UCF ?
In my opinion he would have made a lot better hire than Taggart .
They'll be down for a while ... and right now it looks like they'll be minimally competitive .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 16, 2019, 11:11 PM

If I remember correctly, the search committee had a minority preferential hiring criteria. They were looking for a minority coach.

Jul 17, 2019, 8:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Meanwhile...at Florida State ]

He was bound for Nebraska all along, If he hadn't left when he did, he would have waited for the Nebraska job to come open.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frost was not going anywhere but Nebraska

Jul 17, 2019, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Meanwhile...at Florida State ]

That was his "Alabama" job, and he was getting an early crack at it. For example , if there were two jobs open the day that Dabo was originally offered Clemson and the other one had been Alabama, Dabo would have been the Bamma coach. No that doesn't mean that I think Dabo will take the Bamma job when open now or in the future.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2019, 10:23 PM

Looks like they’re ready.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

If it were august, this would seem strange

Jul 16, 2019, 10:26 PM

but these are "voluntary" workouts that the coaching staff is not allowed to attend. But yeah, FSU is not known for discipline.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They have

Jul 16, 2019, 10:36 PM

tremendous discipline at refraining from disciplining anyone.

Re: They have

Jul 16, 2019, 10:45 PM

well, they are being supervised by trainers and GA's. I am sure there is a lot of horsing around this time of year on the practice fields.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

looks like one of those end of practice things

Jul 16, 2019, 11:53 PM

instead of having a line man field a punt..they did that.

Jul 17, 2019, 5:01 AM

They are offensive linemen trying to find the person they are supposed to block.

As if Florida or Miami has any room to talk***

Jul 17, 2019, 12:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jul 17, 2019, 12:42 PM

Good post. I enjoy these kinds of things when I visit rival boards.

Trying to make a serious comment about Taggart's recruitment.

1. Frost was headed to Nebraska.
2. Mullen was headed to Florida.

No need to even try to recruit either of them.

As for there being pressure to recruit a minority, I never heard that officially form anyone, but we would all be naive if we didn't think that there were some people in the hiring process that didn't take that into consideration.

As for Taggart, he "checked all the boxes" in this respect:

1. He took over a losing program at WKU and turned it into a winner.
2. He took over a losing program at USF and turned it inot a winner.
3. He grew up in Florida and has been a lifetime Seminole fan. He has described FSU as his dream job, not a stepping stone.

Yes, he was only at Oregon for one year. Yes, he was a gamble. (All hires are gambles to some extent. Look at how many coaches Bama went through between Stallings and Saban (4 in 10 years). )

I have posted on another thread my thoughts on Taggart. I have serious concerns about him being "the guy." Do not take this post as a blind defense of him. But, in reality, considering the circumstances at FSU when Jimbo left, it was a reasonable hire. May not work out, but it was reasonable at the time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. To me, jury is still definitely out on Taggart.

Jul 17, 2019, 1:19 PM

I think he shows improvement this year, if for no other reason than he has a great offensive mind aboard n Briles. There will have to be major improvement along the offensive line for Briles scheming to matter, though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2019, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Meanwhile...at Florida State ]

I hate to say this but...

Taggert is going to be FSU's version of Ken Hatfield.

He is a very good coach that must clean up internal issues but also a coach that is going to be loathed and disrespected by the fanbase for "under-performing". He won't be given a fair shake and folks will point to him as the cause of a program demise. The only difference is that Hatfield had a cupboard and won initially, Taggard doesn't even have illiterate fans with shirts.

Jul 17, 2019, 1:56 PM

Probably the best thing Taggart has going for him is the bitter taste in everyone's mouth over the way Jimbo left.

He played the LSU opening for two years in a row to get a big pay raise from FSU. His last year here he basically quit on the team early in the season.

Personally, I am convinced that the day UCLA beat aTm in the opening game in 2017 The Aggie brass started negotiations with Jimmy Sexton (Fisher's agent). I'm convinced by the end of September Jimbo, and his staff, knew Jimbo was going to aTm.

He quit on his team. He went through the motions, but he really didn't care.

Fans are blaming Jimbo for the pitiful shape the team was in last year. Jimbo was a snake in the grass. But, as long as he was winning fans looked the other way. When he quit on the team in 2017 it became clear to the majority of the fans he had done so.

Because of that, Taggart will get a longer leash before the fans turn on him. (Now, if there is another 5-7 season this year, the fans will turn. But, 8-4 will make the fans happy.)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reasonable posts

Jul 17, 2019, 3:13 PM

Let me ask you this. What % of the blame for last season do you ascribe to Jimbo and what % do you ascribe to Willie?

Have a good friend that’s an FSU grad who’s very optimistic about Willie where I have seen some very glaring concerns that seemed to be getting whitewashed because of the “mess” Jimbo left. I definitely see some of the problems that Jimbo left on the way out the door and he definitely quit halfway through 17 as you said.

My point is that Willie did a lot of things last year to make it even harder on himself than it had to be. Their recruiting strategy was bad, he made no adjustments to the offense during the season to try to incorporate some of the pro style stuff the players were at least comfortable with, and he made no attempt to temper expectations leading up to last year and we repeatedly heard how “bought in” the players were.

Just curious to get a take from another FSU fan on the situation.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic