Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FBCCooch....."putting a new roof on".
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 411

FBCCooch....."putting a new roof on".

Oct 22, 2019, 12:39 PM

You're spending money for a roof? What are you, some kind of rube? That's what hail storms are for.

in 20 years in 4 houses, I've had three roofs put on, never paying more than my deductible.

I honestly didn't know that people spent their own money on these things.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait, so I post this picture of a cracked board

Oct 22, 2019, 12:45 PM

in my roof and suddenly he needs a whole new roof? This is odd. How does one living where I do finagle a new tin roof out of the insurance company?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

any chance you can get your roof to flood?

Oct 22, 2019, 12:48 PM

that worked for my basement...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe, seems like a pipe dream though.***

Oct 22, 2019, 12:55 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Crap man, we had a hail storm and I made a claim and got

Oct 22, 2019, 12:54 PM

a check for like 25% of the roof, basically replace the shingles that need replacing but not the entire roof. Don't remember the insurance provider, but I ended up pocketing the check and selling the house. All the other houses in the neighborhood were getting replacement roofs under insurance coverage but for some reason, our adjuster said we didn't need one and just checkerboard replacement.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know that part at the end of the inspection?

Oct 22, 2019, 12:55 PM

The part where he seemed to linger and asked about 5 times "so, uh, you got any other questions---anything else for me?"

You were supposed to slip him a Ben Franklin.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, and related true story..........

Oct 22, 2019, 1:16 PM

About a year ago, the country tax assessor sent a guy around to each house.

I answered the door, he showed me what he had for the new assessment. I didn't love it, but it seemed reasonable so I just gave him an "ok, thanks I guess".

He then did what I just joked about...stood there for another 90 seconds going "So you don't have any other questions? Nothing at all???". I was like, "nope, all good, thanks"

Me, being unwise to the way of local government here, only realized about 3 days later that $100 at that moment would have saved me many thousands over the next several years.

Well, I have the correct square footage on Zillow, but not

Oct 22, 2019, 1:56 PM

with the assessor. County thinks I have 270 less square feets and that's fine by me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meet your new friends: bribery and insurance fraud.***

Oct 22, 2019, 1:56 PM [ in reply to You know that part at the end of the inspection? ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never had to do that with the insurance guys,

Oct 22, 2019, 2:07 PM

but in at least one case I'm pretty sure the roofing contractor took care of the inspector directly.

Insurance is like everything else in life

Oct 22, 2019, 2:11 PM

You get what you pay for. People price insurance and get the cheapest #### they can, then complain when they have a claim and they get gypped.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep...I've been with State Farm for 30 years, and

Oct 22, 2019, 2:26 PM

I know I could switch and save, but they've never done anything other than a perfect job when I've needed them.

SC Farm Bureau has been good with my car for

Oct 22, 2019, 2:29 PM

my entire driving life. I went with All State due to the step-sister being an agent. They also offered some two year "Welcome" discount. I don't know who I'll go with once that is up. I don't think the step-sis will be in the insurance business by then.

Sister of had State Farm in NC last year

Oct 22, 2019, 2:33 PM [ in reply to yep...I've been with State Farm for 30 years, and ]

and her house got damaged/subsequently flooded by Hurricane Florence. Just so happens dude who she bought the house from 8 years prior also had State Farm, and had filed a claim. They took pics of what damage she had, and turned down my sisters claim because they said dude who lived there before never remediated the damage HE had--8 years prior.

She was like "Your contract is with me, not him", and they basically said "too bad", and literally "so sue us."

She talked to a few lawyers who said they'd take the case, but it would cost more to sue State Farm than it would to just pay for the $80K claim herself.

Thanks State Farm!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every day, i wonder if it is too late to go to law school.***

Oct 22, 2019, 2:35 PM

There's enough POS in this world, don't join them***

Oct 22, 2019, 2:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But, I could become the Saul Goodman that the Jounge needs.***

Oct 22, 2019, 3:00 PM

Lawyerin is not as lucrative as most people think

Oct 22, 2019, 3:31 PM [ in reply to There's enough POS in this world, don't join them*** ]

Sure, you hear about the lawyers that score huge wins. Some attorneys score huge settlements and can pick and choose their fights. But the VAST majority of lawyers just make a decent living. Nothing great, nothing lavish. It is a profession where literally you get out of it what you put into it. You can work 120 hours a week and drive your wife to leave you and make great money. Or work 40 hours and maybe climb into the upper middle class. No lawyer who makes a lot works 40 hours a week though. Then defense attorneys make even less, but they have a steadier stream of work too. Your stream can be a babbling brook, or the Mississippi River.

And insurance companies cut lawyer's rates nowadays, just like they've done with doctors forever. So you ask a lawyer his/her "hourly" rate and you get the straight up rate. But he may have lower rates for a dozen insurance companies because they will not pay but so much. Some insurance companies won't pay driving time for defense attorneys past 40 miles. All kinds of hoops lawyers jump through to get work.

Secret is to start a firm and then take a cut. Or hit the big case jackpot. It's truly a lot of work, lot of hours, lot of pressure, again depending on how much you bite off. The average lawyer in SC, for example, makes about 80K a year. The salary range starts in the 40's and goes up generally to around 200K. And remember the hourly rate a lawyer charges is not his salary pay rate. A large chunk goes to the firm/benefits/etc. He may bill at $200 an hour, but their salary pay is often less than $100 an hour. The average lawyer makes $60-$80 an hour basically. VERY good money, no doubt, but not millionaire money. Then you have burnout, which happens often, or whatever. Most lifelong/successful lawyers are "good people". You have to be, either way, to make it. Sure, there are lawyers who are jerks, and they do not rise to the top.

Our political class is largely made up of lawyers

Oct 22, 2019, 3:40 PM

You'll never convince me that most of them are 'good people'.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of the good ones are.

Oct 22, 2019, 3:42 PM

Those keep practicing law. The bad ones go into politics ;)

I'd just become a closing attorney that also

Oct 22, 2019, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Lawyerin is not as lucrative as most people think ]

is willing to take people to court over stupid stuff. Just have to avoid any countersuits. That would be the end of me.

They wouldn't insure me because I have a german shepherd

Oct 22, 2019, 2:39 PM [ in reply to yep...I've been with State Farm for 30 years, and ]

and a 'black lab mix'. A very, very large black lab mix. I got rear ended by a kid with State Farm though, and they were really easy to deal with. Worst by far is Nationwide, they've gotten to where they weren't even in the ballpark on price, and are a PITA to deal with if you ever have a claim.

yeah, but with your company, you can have a two year

Oct 22, 2019, 2:41 PM

old car that gets totaled and they only pay you 80% of what you paid for it.

WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO, DRIVE 80% OF A CAR???

Ugh, why would I have a two year old car? That's way too old***

Oct 22, 2019, 3:21 PM

I do have a bunch of trees on one side of the house.

Oct 22, 2019, 1:14 PM

I guess I could pump up the tires so a fall would get the whole thing

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

nice

Oct 22, 2019, 1:16 PM

humblebrag

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

ok, ok,

Oct 22, 2019, 1:17 PM

maybe I didn't own all 4 houses at the same time.

He isn't Native American.

Oct 22, 2019, 1:19 PM

Only I can conjure up a hail storm when I need one. High winds are a little more difficult but rain is my real speciality.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I want a roof to last 15 years then have a yuge hailstorm

Oct 22, 2019, 1:53 PM

Repeat as necessary. Sounds like Facebook Coach just got unlucky and had a roof die before the hail could kill it. I'd patch it, and repatch it a few times before biting the bullet. Hailstorm might take care of it.

It's too bad his wife is nailing a state trooper and not

Oct 23, 2019, 9:09 AM

a roofing contractor (that we know about).

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Replies: 29
| visibility 411
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic