Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Big XII, Money, and an Honest Assessment of Our Success
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

The Big XII, Money, and an Honest Assessment of Our Success

May 4, 2012, 12:18 AM

I keep seeing the money as the reason we need to leave for the big 12 – supposedly to fund better coaches, better facilities, etc. As Herbstreit mentioned in the breakdown yesterday, we already HAVE top notch facilities, the best football atmosphere you’ll find anywhere, a charismatic head coach who keeps our name in the headlines (for better or worse at times) and the HIGHEST paid coordinators in the nation in Morris and Venables. In a Post and Courier article the other day, Dabo’s agent pointed out: “There are only so many facilities you can build, locker room, weight room, indoor facility, etc., to get ahead and keep up with the competition,” Brown said. “One of the only items left where you can outspend your competition is in assistant coaches.”
We’ve done all of this.
Clemson has spent more than $50 million on the West Zone complex at Memorial Stadium and another $10 million on an indoor football practice facility.
My point is, we’ve got the facilities, we’ve got the coaching payroll, and we are already throwing loads of money at the problem. Yes, I know with the new TV deals everyone else gets comparatively richer and will upgrade too – it’s an arms race and the bar is always being raised. But currently it seems that money isn’t the problem. We didn’t lose to NC State because we don’t have an indoor practice facility yet.
So honestly, how does moving to the Big XII benefit us in terms of on the field success? No one’s kidding themselves that the ACC is anywhere near as strong as the Big XII as a whole – so if we can’t get it done in the ACC, how is facing a tougher schedule in the Big XII to our advantage?
Let’s face it, currently all we have to do is run the table in the ACC by beating solid teams in Fla St and Va Tech, 7 other teams we legitimately SHOULD beat on any given occasion, and beat the Coots – and that puts us in the MNC more often than not. For whatever reason, we just can never string together all those wins at one time without a loss to Duke, NC State, or Maryland. If we aren’t getting it done in the ACC yet, how do we expect to run the table over Oklahoma, Okie St, Texas, Missouri, Baylor? I think it makes for more exciting games, but realistically our chances of an undefeated season take a significant hit. I don’t see how this move translates to on the field success and a better shot at a NC.
I think a lot of us are just tired of the ACC reputation and we feel like we belong in more respected company than Duke and BC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can this brother get an amen?

May 4, 2012, 12:23 AM

nm

do you think.we get left out

May 4, 2012, 12:27 AM

Of the national.championship.game.If we are a one loss team vs a one loss sec.team.

Re: do you think.we get left out

May 4, 2012, 12:32 AM

is this a joke? EVERYONE gets left out as a 1 loss team when compared to a 1 loss SEC team - that's just the way it goes with the BCS. See Ok St this year in that exact situation, losing out to a one loss Alabama who'd ALREADY LOST TO the other team in the championship game.

May 4, 2012, 2:53 AM [ in reply to do you think.we get left out ]

I want to go undefeated every year but I look forward to the day when we are a 1 loss team on a consistent basis at the end of the year. If we keep doing that, then one year everything will fall into place and we might just win it all.

I think it takes more than a great football team to become..

May 4, 2012, 8:59 AM [ in reply to do you think.we get left out ]

national champions. It also takes a lot of luck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 4, 2012, 9:46 AM [ in reply to do you think.we get left out ]

You guys are all working on the OLD BCS model. This is the very reason Clemson needs to stay in the ACC. Here's why.

The most talked about option moving forward is either the +1 or the "4 team "playoff". If this scenarios comes true, being in the ACC is ideal for Clemson. There is little to no reason that Clemson shouldn't win or be near the top of the ACC every year. Just beat FSU and VT and all the other games you are supposed to win anyway (ie NCSU). The "final 4" team are going the top four teams in the final BCS standings would play in two semifinals: No. 1 vs. No. 4 and No. 2 vs. No. 3. The winners would play in a championship game a week or two later. BUT in an interesting wrinkle, there's also been talk about taking the top 4 conference champs in the top 6. That means last year the final four would have been LSU vs Oregon (ironically a match up we saw earlier in the year) and Bama vs Okie State. Stanford was ranked higher in BCS, but was jumped by Oregon because Oregon won the conference championship.

Now, tell me, which is a shorter path to a top 6 BCS ranking and a conference championship, Big12 or ACC? It's the ACC hands down.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

I would be very upset...

May 4, 2012, 12:32 AM

if Clemson could cough up the 20 million needed to leave the ACC but couldn't come up with the added 1 or 2 million needed to start the work at Doug Kingsmore. Not to mention getting the Riggs Field project off the ground, which is VERY important because it also involved pedestrian safety along SC 93. Plus, Riggs essentially hasn't been touched since 1987 when the permanent stands were built. Yeah, they've upgraded the press box and renovated the locker rooms, but those are cosmetic upgrades.

if oklahoma state does not lose the late season game at

May 4, 2012, 12:48 AM

Iowa state they don't get left out.......but if the new plus one format picks the teams based on rpi then the acc champion is ######.

You get it.

May 4, 2012, 9:24 AM

Congrats.

Re: The Big XII, Money, and an Honest Assessment of Our Success

May 4, 2012, 2:51 AM

I agree with you completely. If we want to have any shot at going undefeated, the ACC is our best bet.

Moving to the Big 12 or SEC? Come on, Wake Forest is now a tough game for us year in and year out. Not until we get back to whopping them, NC State, Maryland, etc should we consider playing in the SEC.

Now perhaps by being in one of these other conferences we can attract better and more talent, but we already have the talent and recruiting is not the problem.

Perhaps by being in one of the other conferences our RPI could be higher. But to be honest, we are not capable of consistently competing at a high enough level right now to be in these conferences. I certainly think we are close and hope that one day we will get to that point but until Wake Forest and Wofford merely resort to being tune up games, we are best suited in the ACC. If we beat who we are supposed to beat (and we should do it handidly) and knock of Fla State and the Coots, then we could find ourselves in some very good situations come each January. And when that happens, as it should, I don't think anyone will be worrying about Swofford or the SEC or the Big12 or Notre Dame or any other conference. We need to worry about the teams we play now and we need to take our superior talent levels compared to those teams and own them like we are supposed to own them. If not, then we should probably just schedule the likes of Furman and Elon.

May 4, 2012, 4:32 AM

For once,a nice HONEST assessment of a good conference affliation,money,facilities,coaching staffs and how Clemson would fare in a football dominated conference instead of a basketball conference dominated by two schools within shouting distance of each other.
One problem I have ,however,is your mention of the MNC.
In it's current state Clemson should have as it's goal the ones Dabo sets each season;1) win the opener,2)win the division,3) win the conference,and 4),beat USC.
Win those ,and all is well.
Winning the MNC takes a little bit more,and Clemson is not even at the crossroads of discussing a MNC, let alone an appearance in it.

May 4, 2012, 8:45 AM

We have a BINGO!!!!! Clear your cards !!!!! Great post.

If we are offered we need to go

May 4, 2012, 7:37 AM

More money with the contract. More national exposure. More like teams with the following that Clemson has and deserves to be around.

tl:dr***

May 4, 2012, 8:15 AM

Maybe I'm missing it but I don't see much said about the ...

May 4, 2012, 8:32 AM

added travel time and costs for our teams and fans. I don't like the ACC either but from a travel perspective, we are in a good location.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, if we go into the new playoff format, the ACC won't be

May 4, 2012, 8:45 AM

one of the "automatic" bids. As it is, we have a SOS of only 61.7 next year...while Miami has the toughest SOS with a 51. I tend to disagree about the "money" issue, as well. The best available information tells us that we'd make an additional $5M per year over and above what we currently make with our Swoffie-negotiated ACC deal. That translates to more than just football facilities....how about more sports? And yes, how about that new big screen and sound system we've wanted in the valley for years now? Here are the comparative SOS ranking for all ACC teams, in case anyone cares.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/2/28/2828907/acc-football-schedule-2012-strength

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: Well, if we go into the new playoff format, the ACC won't be

May 4, 2012, 8:58 AM

Good point about the new playoff system. I could also add that we have two assistants who can tap into the rich Texas recruiting scene from day one....my only fear is that if we do go Big 12, TAMU will try and steal Morris from us.

Don't live in the past.

May 4, 2012, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Well, if we go into the new playoff format, the ACC won't be ]

Because if they go to a playoff system, there ain't gonna be no automatic bids anyway. The ACC's status there would be irrelevant...

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Top 6 and Conference winners.***

May 4, 2012, 9:49 AM

Re: Don't live in the past.

May 4, 2012, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Don't live in the past. ]

No, he's right. Our conference's RPI is so weak, staying in the ACC effectively shuts us out of the new BCS playoff system. The ACC and Big East will now not be guaranteed any BCS-level bowls, meaning no BCS-level bowl payout for anyone, and are unlikely to qualify often for the playoff. How many ACC schools can you recall that finished in the Top 4 over the last decade? I can think of only one.

May 4, 2012, 10:01 AM

A low RPI as compared to a Bosie St? As I said last night, and was shouted down for, the answer is WINNING. Win all the games, and it doesn't matter, they'll HAVE to give Clemson a shot. Last year, Clemson peaked at #5 in the BCS standings (week 9). If the tigers can get there, they can stay there. Just beat the teams you're supposed to beat...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs/_/week/9

I'm telling you, this is an easier path for the tigers...

May 4, 2012, 10:10 AM

Who are you? Swofford's water boy? No way we get a shot at a BCS bowl if we stay in the ACC. Keep dreaming if it makes you feel better. SEC/PAC12/BIG12/BIG10 are the only conferences that will get a shot. Wake up and smell the coffee, dude.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic