Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC Expansion?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

ACC Expansion?

Sep 22, 2018, 9:28 PM

Our conference needs to be the 1st to expand to 16 Teams and start playing 10 conference games and 2 out of conference. Which schools should would we add?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC Expansion?

Sep 22, 2018, 9:29 PM

UCF and East Carolina

Navy and UConn***

Sep 22, 2018, 9:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does not build the perception of the ACC.

Sep 22, 2018, 9:32 PM

Need stronger teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alabama and UGA, then.***

Sep 22, 2018, 9:36 PM

Who would you pick?***

Sep 22, 2018, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Does not build the perception of the ACC. ]

null

Central Florida and West Virginia

Sep 22, 2018, 9:43 PM

JMHO.

Look at the Big 12's exit fee. WVU isn't going anywhere.

Sep 22, 2018, 9:51 PM

Minimum $19,000,000 exit fee and it goes up depending on the timeframe of your departure. If you give less than 12 months notice, the fee doubles.

Both worthy choices, although you have to ask

Sep 22, 2018, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Central Florida and West Virginia ]

if the TV market of WV is valuable enough or if we need another FL school?

I don’t think there would ever be an expansion that isn’t “Notre Dame and _______”, and that blank would probably Navy at ND’s insistence, although I think UConn would warrant consideration to strengthen the NYC market.

null

Is expansion and taking in teams we really don't want

Sep 22, 2018, 10:06 PM

The only answer? Can division realignment create better border clashes and create more competitive programs? In the end it comes back to culture in some parts of the ACC. BAsketball trumps football and football will never matter like it does at Clemson. Hard issue to solve.

Notre Dame and UConn.

Sep 23, 2018, 3:19 PM

I wouldn't mind Penn State instead of UConn if they are realistically available, but I don't see them leaving the B1G.

Expansion would have to include Notre Dame. It makes sense for everyone involved. ND is already in the ACC for virtually all other sports, they are an independent and wouldn't have to pay anyone an exit fee, and they would bolster the ACC's football reputation while also being a good academic fit.

UConn offers historically good basketball and potential for football, although they would need to improve football a good bit. They would probably be near the bottom of the conference in football for a while, but perhaps moving up to the ACC would improve the kind of athletes they recruit. Basketball is down now, but with a better coach I'm sure they would recover quickly.

I don't have any desire to add schools like WVU with crappy academics and crappy fan bases. I don't think they are a good fit with the other ACC schools, even though they aren't far away from the ACC's historical footprint geographically.

I respect Navy, but they aren't on a level playing field in terms of recruiting since recruits are committing to at least 5 years of military service after college. Yes, they are good academically, but there is no way they can be a legitimate player in the ACC in any of the main sports.

I would consider UCF. Not 10 years ago, but I would now. They are a huge school and can get some good football players from Florida. They would probably recruit even better being in the ACC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

UCF, FAU, FIU, Stetson***

Sep 22, 2018, 9:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UCF & USF

Sep 22, 2018, 9:31 PM

NO MORE NC schools

null

That means we only play USC and a Furman OCS?

Sep 22, 2018, 9:31 PM

No thanks.

Maryland and South Carolina***

Sep 22, 2018, 9:32 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Makes sense.

Sep 22, 2018, 9:37 PM

JMO.

Re: Makes sense.

Sep 23, 2018, 1:27 PM

We could join the big 12

UMASS and Temple***

Sep 22, 2018, 9:34 PM

Kick Wake out add WV UConn ND***

Sep 22, 2018, 9:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No! Boot the Tar Heels!!

Sep 22, 2018, 9:47 PM

Seriously, that would be my personal choice for a lot of reasons.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never...Wake had our back when swoffie and the rest of the

Sep 22, 2018, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Kick Wake out add WV UConn ND*** ]

ACC added penalties to Clemson

Sep 22, 2018, 9:40 PM

There are no remaining unaligned schools that anybody wants. None.

Name a school that would add eyeballs in a $$ sense, and that is your answer.

I.e. your addition has to bring more revenue to the coffers than the amount of the annual conference distribution check you'd take away from the current schools.

Old Dominion & Army***

Sep 22, 2018, 9:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Navy and Notre Dame***

Sep 22, 2018, 9:42 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Limestone and Erskine***

Sep 22, 2018, 9:50 PM

Please No

Sep 22, 2018, 10:16 PM

I enjoy beating two SEC teams each year.

It'll be THREE this season.***

Sep 22, 2018, 11:26 PM

Sep 22, 2018, 10:20 PM

Notre Dame and Texas.

As much as I agree with dagumit about SEC schools

Sep 22, 2018, 10:27 PM

Norte Dame and Texas could add a lot to the overall football perception

notre dame will be 1***

Sep 22, 2018, 11:27 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ODU***

Sep 22, 2018, 11:29 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Notre Dame and App State

Sep 22, 2018, 11:32 PM

App State would need to expand its stadium!!!

Sep 22, 2018, 11:33 PM

Why bring in more half as dead beats? Vt and Miami were good for Acc football. The rest are nothing but has beens from bygone eras.

I don't like 10 conference games. That leaves USuC...

Sep 22, 2018, 11:34 PM

and a little school. No more playing ND, Auburn, UGA, Texas A&M, etc. It would be interesting to have quadrants though, and a 4-team playoff for a conference champ lol.

Sep 22, 2018, 11:43 PM

Won’t happen but Notre Dame and Penn State.

Sep 22, 2018, 11:50 PM

My initial pick would be Notre Dame and West Virginia, but after considering options I would say ND and Navy with second choices of USF and Cincinnati. Usuck and Maryland aren’ty returning to the ACC.

Go Tigers ??!!

Sep 23, 2018, 5:48 AM

I doubt there will be future expansion unless one team is ND. Adding additional teams will only dilute the tv revenue unless ND comes on full time in football. If they would sign on, the other team to make it 16 doesn’t really matter. ND would get the ACC to SEC tv money.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2018, 8:17 AM

Notre Dame and Penn State. Then the TV money would beat ANY league.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2018, 5:55 AM

Expansion? Fourteen team is a pain already. How does 16 make it better?

What the conference really needs to do is get rid of two teams and get back to 12. Send Duke a Syracuse over to the old Big East and you have addition by subtraction.

Sep 23, 2018, 7:29 AM

I think it should go back to the way it was for decades....10 team conferences where you play everyone 1 time in football and 2 times in basketball. You play 9 conference games in football and have 3 out of conference games against other power 5 schools (no FCS). Expand playoffs to 8 teams.

I like this plan

Sep 23, 2018, 8:03 AM

Maybe it could be modified, though. Instead of eight 10-team leagues, why not four 20 team leagues? Scheduling could still work the same way. Then your eight clear division champs go to an eight team playoff. Conference championship games could be round one.

Going to this model would create 16 opportunities for independents or group of 5 to get in the mix. Only problem is, which conference gets dissolved, and where do those teams go? With only 10 teams, B12 is the obvious choice.

To get to 20, ACC adds WVU, UCF, USF, ND, CINCY, NAVY

SEC adds ECU, ODU, APP ST, USM, MEMPHIS, TROY

B10 adds IOWA ST, KANSAS, K STATE, OK, OK STATE, TULSA

PAC adds BOISE, BAYLOR, TEXAS, TTECH, TCU, BYU, ARMY, AIR FORCE

NOT Notre Dame...they just aren't a "fit" into ACC culture

Sep 23, 2018, 10:45 AM

I definitely think Penn State fits into the geography as we now have it (even though I hate the Yankee component to the ACC). As crude as the Maryland fan base is, they bring the most to the table in BB and FB. However, UConn would pass the BB test and their FB has shown glimpses of improvement, but not very consistent. West Virginia would lose way too much money in their Big 12 buyout to be considered & their academics are even worse than Louisville's. South Carolina makes the most sense in terms of location, but that's not ever going to be allowed. I say Penn State and Maryland slightly over UConn.

Notre Dame and Penn State***

Sep 23, 2018, 10:50 AM

**UCF & Northwestern***

Sep 23, 2018, 11:03 AM

UCF is currently on some kind of role in football. They have the ability to be good every year based on where the school is located. Speaking of location - it would be a really good TV market for the ACC(Orlando). As of 2017 they had an enrollment of 64, 000.
Northwestern - is often good in football. Often ranked in the top 25. Fits in with the academic excellence the ACC ask for. But, more importantly, has the Chicago, IL market.

You could potentially gain two very good TV markets!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2018, 12:03 PM

ND, UCF, and Texas Tech.

Move UNC to FCS where they belong.

LOL at your UNC to FCS comment!

Sep 23, 2018, 3:28 PM

That's great!

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! That eliminates

Sep 23, 2018, 12:09 PM

our descent out of conference games like A&M, UGA, Auburn, etc!

WVU and Navy

Sep 23, 2018, 1:22 PM

Geographic and TV, makes sense. Natural rivalaries abound. We all chip in and help WVU pay for WVU leaving B12, we blew that one big time several years back.

WVU and Navy

Sep 23, 2018, 1:22 PM

Geographic and TV, makes sense. Natural rivalaries abound. We all chip in and help WVU pay for WVU leaving B12, we blew that one big time several years back.

Not only expand, but we should also trade

Sep 23, 2018, 2:30 PM

If you look at the footprints of the SEC and ACC, we both could benefit. The SEC isn't represented in NC or VA. Let's trade NCST and UVA for MISS ST and VANDY. Next, we offer Texas, ND, Penn St, dropping Syracuse if all 3 accept.

Notre Dame and Navy

Sep 23, 2018, 2:33 PM

Notre Dame and Navy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We need to downsize instead of expanding.

Sep 23, 2018, 2:35 PM

If we expand we'd need to gain TV markets. The North East is saturated with more NCAA football teams than fans.

Without picking up ND we should continue to play the cards in our hand.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would be dumb***

Sep 23, 2018, 2:59 PM

Re: That would be dumb***

Sep 23, 2018, 3:24 PM

Adding some mediocre teams ain't sounding like much of an upgrade.

Notre Dame and UConn.

Sep 23, 2018, 3:22 PM

I wouldn't mind Penn State instead of UConn if they are realistically available, but I don't see them leaving the B1G.

Expansion would have to include Notre Dame. It makes sense for everyone involved. ND is already in the ACC for virtually all other sports, they are an independent and wouldn't have to pay anyone an exit fee, and they would bolster the ACC's football reputation while also being a good academic fit.

UConn offers historically good basketball and potential for football, although they would need to improve football a good bit. They would probably be near the bottom of the conference in football for a while, but perhaps moving up to the ACC would improve the kind of athletes they recruit. Basketball is down now, but with a better coach I'm sure they would recover quickly.

I would consider USF or UCF. Not 10 years ago, but I would now. They are both huge schools and can get some good football players from Florida. They would probably recruit even better being in the ACC.

I don't have any desire to add schools like WVU with crappy academics and crappy fan bases. I don't think they are a good fit with the other ACC schools, even though they aren't far away from the ACC's historical footprint geographically.

I respect Navy, but they aren't on a level playing field in terms of recruiting since recruits are committing to at least 5 years of military service after college. Yes, they are good academically, but there is no way they can be a legitimate player in the ACC in any of the main sports.

Honestly though, I don't want to expand to 10 conference games unless everyone else does. It would mean losing home games, which are important for revenue. No point in putting ourselves at a disadvantage from a revenue standpoint if everyone else isn't doing the same.

No. 8 Sh!tty conference games

Sep 23, 2018, 3:23 PM

is Plenty. I like playing Texas A&M and Auburn. Call me crazy

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic