Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Young to Va Tech...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Young to Va Tech...

Apr 7, 2019, 5:43 PM

Well, looks pretty true.

Do you like this hire for them or is it more like Brad Brownell here after Oliver Purnell?

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1114992670978576384?s=20

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Young to Va Tech...

Apr 7, 2019, 5:45 PM

Also wonder is Steve Smith or Coach Bender become candidates at Wofford now? Where is the Wofford fan who comes on here...

Smith maybe

Apr 7, 2019, 8:06 PM

cant see anyone hiring Bender as a head coach

oooh somebody tag the Wofford fan that said he'd never leave***

Apr 7, 2019, 5:46 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not remotely comparable to OP to BB

Apr 7, 2019, 5:46 PM

It's a bad hire by VaTech after a legitimate 'name' in college hoops...and a nice pre-retirement gig for Young. The Hokies get a 'hot name' and Young gets paid. That's it...period.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 7, 2019, 5:49 PM

Young is old. Doesn’t seem like a long term solution for the Hokies.

Apr 7, 2019, 5:52 PM

It might be that it came down to he is from Virginia? He was assistant grad coach at Radford under Oliver Purnell before he took the Wofford job.

Apr 7, 2019, 5:57 PM

I dont know why Wofford didn't look at the same conference in the SoCon and get a younger more entergetic coach like Miller at UNCG or the Furman coach?

Earl Grant at CofC might have been even better than Young..

Re: Young to Va Tech... I was hoping Buzz would

Apr 7, 2019, 5:59 PM

stay at VT for a while. I thought he could be a nice irritant to K and Roy over time. He is a solid coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's a good coach with at least 10 years left; we'll see.***

Apr 7, 2019, 6:00 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Many want the hot young coach

Apr 7, 2019, 8:04 PM

problem with hot young coaches is many times they aren't ready or use you as a stepping stone to an even better job. Young will be at VT until he's fired or retires. Like us, they have little tradition. Why not take a chance on a guy who can flat out coach who will be there for the long haul if things really start rolling?

His first year will be tough, and it will be all about how he can recruit. But if he can recruit, he can definitely coach them

That's just it. Some want the hot young coach, some want

Apr 7, 2019, 10:35 PM

the well established big name. The truth is, both can and do fail. Hiring any coach is a gamble - it's no different with Young. He has a proven record of winning and getting his team to the NCAA tounament. Like you say, if he can recruit, no reason to trhink he can't do it at a bigger school.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 7, 2019, 6:10 PM

nctigs said:

Well, looks pretty true.

Do you like this hire for them or is it more like Brad Brownell here after Oliver Purnell?

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1114992670978576384?s=20

CBB was considered a up and coming coach when he was hired. Given what we were willing to pay was a good choice despite your revisionist history

Apr 7, 2019, 6:33 PM

I wonder why he was considered up and coming. He didn't go to the tournament his last 3 years at Wright State. I am not disagreeing with you, but I don't remember that, which doesn't mean much. My memory isn't that great.

Apr 7, 2019, 6:50 PM

Carlsbad® said:

I wonder why he was considered up and coming. He didn't go to the tournament his last 3 years at Wright State. I am not disagreeing with you, but I don't remember that, which doesn't mean much. My memory isn't that great.

Following the 2006 season, Brownell left UNC Wilmington to take the head coach's job at Wright State, against the wishes of Ron Burns, and yet he immediately made an impact. In his first season at Wright State, Brownell led the Raiders to their first-ever Horizon League title, beating out nationally ranked Butler to capture both the regular season and tournament titles. The Raiders earned the 14th seed in the West Region, and lost in the first round of the 2007 NCAA tournament to Pittsburgh. The team's 23 wins was a school record on the Division I level.

Brownell remained head coach at Wright State through the 2010 season. His teams never finished lower than third in conference play, but he was unable to return the Raiders to postseason play.

Apr 7, 2019, 6:53 PM

It’s all about history and expectations. Wright St was better under CBB than their recent history. A certain NC Clemson would also do well to read a little history

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic