Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looked at 247's all time basketball recruits
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Looked at 247's all time basketball recruits

Apr 16, 2019, 1:40 PM

and it is pathetic.... Brownell has certainly below average in this area, but so has pretty much every other coach. We have only had 11 4* recruits or better since they started 247 rankings. Wow. Of these 11 only 4 actually panned out.

1. Milton Jennings: Only 5* ever and he played more like a 2*

2. Noel Johnson 4*: He was a Purnell recruit that ended up transferring to Auburn and I believe never started there.

3. Bernard Sullivan 4*: Very underwhelming especially when we needed a freshman to step up. He transferred to UNC Charlotte where he averaged points his senior year.

4. Devin Booker 4*: Was an average player

5. James Mayes 4*: 1 of 4 4* that lived up to their billing

6. Catelin Baciu 4*: Never contributed

7: Rivers 4*: I loved his game. He was a stud

8: Potter 4*: Was an average player I guess

9: Young 4*: Had a sweet shot, but was limited because of his size

10: Dawes 4*: Let's hope he's ready to lead at PG

11: Grantham 4*: He was a beast but for some reason got a TON of hate on here. His junior year he didn't shoot very well.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Grantham got a "TON of hate on here?" Who hated Grantham?***

Apr 16, 2019, 1:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

usual suspects

Apr 16, 2019, 2:02 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/BKB-Update-Report-Donte-Grantham-returning-to-Clemson-21599146#21599146

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Grantham got a "TON of hate on here?" Who hated Grantham?***

Apr 16, 2019, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Grantham got a "TON of hate on here?" Who hated Grantham?*** ]

First 2 years he did. But made huge improvement his jr year and the hate stopped.
First 2 years he could not thrown the ball inbounds.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I seem to remember his freshman year being pretty good

Apr 16, 2019, 2:14 PM

but then again, I may be mis-remembering.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Grantham got a "TON of hate on here?" Who hated Grantham?***

Apr 16, 2019, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Grantham got a "TON of hate on here?" Who hated Grantham?*** ]

I am pretty positive that he had a good first 2 years, had a pretty bad junior year (couldn't make a 3 to save his life), and had a good senior year.

To answer the question about who hated him....

It was the same people that talked crap that he returned, but would have also talked crap about Brownell's ability to retain players if he had left. Some people have very sad lives on here.

Milton Jennings played when I was a Clemson student...

Apr 16, 2019, 2:26 PM

...this girl and I went to see Shutter Island in theaters & Milton was at the same showing as us. He talked the entire time through the movie, hated him from that point on.

How many of those did Brownell sign?***

Apr 16, 2019, 2:32 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: How many of those did Brownell sign?***

Apr 16, 2019, 4:24 PM

How many of those lived up to their billing? I also didn't mention in the top 10 the transfers that we have received. Elijah Thomas was a top 100 4* Shelton Mitchell was a 4*.

Sorry ....disagree with several of your salient points.....

Apr 16, 2019, 2:39 PM

...While far from a superstar, I think Devin Booker---within the framework of Clemson basketball history---was above average (maybe not far above, but above, nonetheless)

...Been on Tnet for a while but NEVER remember Grantham getting a ton of hate here. People were excited about his return the off-season before his final year. Most were looking forward to his future contributions and counted Grantham as probably the biggest asset on the team. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth on Tnet after the injury that ended his season and Clemson career.

...& No offense, cuz a bunch of folks are guilty of the same thing, but I am growing weary of reading comments detrimental to Milton Jennings who had no input on his hs rating. The guy committed to Clemson, enrolled, I was told never missed a practice, stayed 4 years and played hard for the Tigers. Milton may not have been David Thompson or Michael Jordan, but the effort he put in to the program deserves a lot better treatment than he's been getting from a bunch of clowns tripping over themselves to point out he wasn't 1st string All-American his entire college career just because he came in rated as a 5*. I might even have understood the stupid vitriol if he'd been a problem child, but he represented our university in a manner to make us all proud. A bunch of people need to crawl back out of Milton's rear end, exit his underwear, and start giving up the kudo's he rightfully deserves.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I generally agree that we shouldn't bash players

Apr 16, 2019, 3:38 PM

who represent our school, it is worth noting that Brownell suspended Milton not one, not two, but THREE times. The first was for mouthing off to Brownell during a game, the second was for academic-related issues, and the third was when he was arrested for marijuana possession.

I don't think these reasons justify all of the criticism he gets on the boards here. As you stated, it isn't his fault that he was overrated in high school, and that he was hyped as a program changer at Clemson. But he was far from a model student-athlete while at Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Don't remember him getting arrested for

Apr 16, 2019, 3:46 PM

pot, but its possible I missed it---was going through a bunch of medical procedures during that time period. If I overstated his contributions as a good citizen, my apologies

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: While I generally agree that we shouldn't bash players

Apr 16, 2019, 3:57 PM [ in reply to While I generally agree that we shouldn't bash players ]

Brownell implicated at one point at a Prowl and Growl that he had some seniors that basically quit on the team. He said that he would have benched them, but had no other options. Those seniors had to have been Devin Booker and Milton Jennings.

I'm sorry that some are offended by me saying that was a bust. Just telling it like it is. He was brutal to watch.

When it comes to Devin Booker and Milton Jennings you

Apr 16, 2019, 4:34 PM

have to account for the fact that the system they ended up playing in was the polar opposite of the system they were recruited to play in. Would they have fared better playing in OP's system for 4 years? I don't know, but we can't say with any certainty that they wouldn't.

I remember Milton as a very low effort player ...

Apr 16, 2019, 8:58 PM [ in reply to While I generally agree that we shouldn't bash players ]

on and off the court.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looked at 247's all time basketball recruits

Apr 16, 2019, 6:26 PM

Say what you want but I'm pretty sure BB has out performed ACC recruiting classes with actual in game results almost every year.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic