Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Biden denied communion at Florence, SC, church over abortion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Biden denied communion at Florence, SC, church over abortion

Oct 29, 2019, 3:23 PM

Gonna toss this out here and make a bag of popcorn.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/29/politics/joe-biden-denied-communion-south-carolina-catholic-church/index.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Weird

Oct 29, 2019, 3:25 PM

A Catholic Church actually sticking to their guns and following their own rules.

Seems like this should be a "dog bites man" side of the story, but it's probably more telling that it's not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, kind of like enforcing immigration laws. Weird.***

Oct 29, 2019, 3:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Weird

Oct 29, 2019, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Weird ]

Cool, since they are just sticking to their guns, possibly they can also purge their ranks of pedophiles while they are a it?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yup, that should be dog bites man too.

Oct 29, 2019, 3:45 PM

seems tangential to the point about Biden, but no argument here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now, if he were a pedofile, then the church would be ok with

Oct 29, 2019, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Weird ]

communion, provided he shared his little black book.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if they really don't know who you are

Oct 29, 2019, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Weird ]

you can take communion any time

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Oct 30, 2019, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Weird ]

Being pro-choice is not a sin so withholding communion doesn't fall within the rules of the Catholic Church.

Oct 30, 2019, 3:07 PM

A memorandum of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith on "Worthiness to Receive Holy Communion", signed by its Prefect Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger and published in July 2004, declared that, if a Catholic politician's formal cooperation in "the grave sin of abortion or euthanasia" becomes manifest by "consistently campaigning and voting for permissive abortion and euthanasia laws", the politician's pastor is obliged to instruct the politician about the Church's teaching and inform him that he should not present himself for Holy Communion as long as the objective situation of sin (regardless of whether subjective guilt exists or is absent) persists, warning him that, if he does present himself in those circumstances, he will be refused. As in the case of divorced and remarried Catholics, if these precautionary measures fail to obtain the desired effect or are impossible, "and the person in question, with obstinate persistence, still presents himself to receive the Holy Eucharist, 'the minister of Holy Communion must refuse to distribute it'".

he should have come to the Methodist Church

Oct 29, 2019, 3:40 PM

where all are welcome - even you Cata

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look, I can stay at home and have a woman preach to me.***

Oct 29, 2019, 3:46 PM

Re: he should have come to the Methodist Church

Oct 29, 2019, 8:27 PM [ in reply to he should have come to the Methodist Church ]

Ha, I grew up in a Methodist church. I had my share of French bread and grape juice on the first Sunday of every month.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: Biden denied communion at Florence, SC, church over abortion

Oct 29, 2019, 3:50 PM

This is fine, but if this is their standard, how could a church ever give communion to any politician ever?

At this point I’d say I’m a former Catholic, but this

Oct 29, 2019, 4:43 PM

decision seems in line with the Catholic Church that I remember. I don’t think it matters, unless Biden’s Catholic faith is important to him. The Catholic Church’s fierce opposition to abortion has been pretty unwavering.

null

Re: At this point I’d say I’m a former Catholic, but this

Oct 30, 2019, 3:07 PM

I’m also a former Catholic. Being pro-choice is not a sin and the only time you should not take part in communion according to the churches own rules are when you have mortal sin that has not been confessed. Maybe Biden falls in the category, maybe not but the church doesn't know and it was wrong to withhold no mater what the priest in question thought.

Re: At this point I’d say I’m a former Catholic, but this

Oct 30, 2019, 3:13 PM

A memorandum of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith on "Worthiness to Receive Holy Communion", signed by its Prefect Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger and published in July 2004, declared that, if a Catholic politician's formal cooperation in "the grave sin of abortion or euthanasia" becomes manifest by "consistently campaigning and voting for permissive abortion and euthanasia laws", the politician's pastor is obliged to instruct the politician about the Church's teaching and inform him that he should not present himself for Holy Communion as long as the objective situation of sin (regardless of whether subjective guilt exists or is absent) persists, warning him that, if he does present himself in those circumstances, he will be refused. As in the case of divorced and remarried Catholics, if these precautionary measures fail to obtain the desired effect or are impossible, "and the person in question, with obstinate persistence, still presents himself to receive the Holy Eucharist, 'the minister of Holy Communion must refuse to distribute it'".

That's between Joe and the the Catholic Church.

Oct 29, 2019, 7:04 PM

I'm Baptist and we haven't 'turned anyone out,' that I know of in my lifetime. We leave a man's relationship with God between them.

That's not to say there isn't gossip.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a former Baptist,

Oct 30, 2019, 3:00 PM

"We leave a man's relationship with God between them."

You want me to pray for you?

Oct 30, 2019, 3:25 PM

Cause, I'm triggered now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL....maybe you and your church are exceptions,

Oct 30, 2019, 3:28 PM

and this isn't a rant against organized religion---I'm just saying that in many churches I've attended, including a Baptist one, the depth or shallowness of a man's relationship with God seemed to be well considered amongst his peers in the congregation.

I know what you're saying.

Oct 30, 2019, 4:47 PM

You're saying self-righteousness isn't exclusive to the Catholic Church. I'm saying it isn't exclusive with anyone. Imo, self-righteousness is product of pride which is one of man's three downfalls. Pride of life, lust of the eyes and lust of the flesh are the specific three.

"Give me a man and I'll find a reason for me and you to look down upon him!"

I do it and I try to cover it up, disguise it and anything to keep others from knowing. It works all the way up until I pray. Then I have no where to hide.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic