Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Last Year Coach Swinney had to pretend the QB competition
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,676

Last Year Coach Swinney had to pretend the QB competition

Aug 20, 2019, 7:04 PM

was close to even. A lot of fans even bought into it. Coach is happy he does not have to play act again this year, and he can focus on player and team development.

And hats off to Lawrence who grinded early last year and earned Christian's, Joseph's, the Power Rangers' and the team's respect … resulting in a starting position and a natl championship. Good times!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you saying that KB was that far ahead of Trevor,

Aug 20, 2019, 7:17 PM

and Dabo was pretending that Trevor was close?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Last Year Coach Swinney had to pretend the QB competition

Aug 20, 2019, 9:31 PM

Reminds me of the "competition" DW4 had his rookie season with Tom Savage.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What makes you say it wasn’t close?

Aug 20, 2019, 9:39 PM

Were you at all the practices? Did you have personal meetings with the staff?

What’s more likely: that Trevor was very far ahead and Dabo started Kelly for 4 games anyway or that it actually was close and they needed 4 games to decide while also protecting Kelly’s redshirt?

So your point is essentially you think Dabo purposefully didn’t put our best team out on the field for part of the year last year. Want to stick by that?

I saw Kelly Bryant throw last year.

Aug 20, 2019, 9:43 PM

It wasn’t pretty. Neither was our offense at times when he was the QB. Unless he regressed a lot after camp, or Trevor improved by leaps and bounds after camp, there is no way it was as close as it was portrayed as being.

Kelly was shown a lot of grace because he was the returning senior starter and a veteran leader. The coaches handled it great, but I’m sure it was obvious to them early on that Trevor was going to overtake KB sooner rather than later.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I saw Kelly Bryant throw last year.

Aug 20, 2019, 9:50 PM

And the same may happen when DJ gets there next year.

Also pulled Trevor in favor of Kelly coming down the stretch of the A&M game

Aug 20, 2019, 9:52 PM [ in reply to I saw Kelly Bryant throw last year. ]

So if the OP and your assertions are correct, Dabo knowingly put a far lesser QB in in crunch time of the A&M game which could have possibly knocked us out of the playoff with a loss.

If it was clear and obvious that Trevor was the guy in camp then he would’ve opened up the starter. He really put a lot of separation between him and Kelly during the GT game and a switch was made. Trevor got a lot better throughout the year but him early against Syracuse looks like a different person than him against ND and Bama.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,676
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic