Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OT- Rye grass on an established yard?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

OT- Rye grass on an established yard?

Oct 24, 2018, 3:45 PM

I have real thick centipede and was thinking about sowing winter Rye this season.
The only reason is I took down some box planters in the back yard and have a couple of dirt spots.
Will this screw up my root system, I know it dies but like I said the grass is almost too thick.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why? you'll just have to mow it...

Oct 24, 2018, 3:47 PM

Have a landscape guy spray paint the dormant grass; golf courses do it regularly.

Re: Why? you'll just have to mow it...

Oct 24, 2018, 6:24 PM

Or he can color it himself http://geoponicscorp.com/shop/turf-colorants

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just fertilize it and wait till spring***

Oct 24, 2018, 4:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I just did this

Oct 24, 2018, 4:03 PM

myself. I have centipede and over-seeded with an annual rye to give my grass some life during the winter months. Come april/may, just put a little sand down with some centipede seed and you'll be back in business.

Re: OT- Rye grass on an established yard?

Oct 24, 2018, 4:04 PM

When you mow, you'll have to use a grass-catcher. If not, all your clippings will get down into your roots and choke out some of your established yard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've done it with no problems....

Oct 24, 2018, 4:14 PM

...except having to mow the rye most of the winter.

Cut the centipede really low before spreading the rye.

In the spring when it's time for the centipede to green up, cut the rye low. This will ###### the rye and help the centipede.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2018, 4:14 PM

Centipede cannot take overseeding with ryegrass. This is generally done on Bermuda lawns. I expect you will have a good bit of winter kill and disease issues next spring and your lawn will look really bad next spring/summer while everyone else's looks nice. Just be like most everyone else in the south and enjoy the brown grass/no mowing during the winter.

Oct 24, 2018, 5:20 PM

If you are in doubt, I'd recommend talking about it with your local Clemson Extension office or even contacting a local sod farm. Bermuda grass is the only recommended grass for overseeding with rye grass, I have been in this business for 20 years. It can be done with Centipede, but you will have less than desirable long-term results.

Oct 24, 2018, 5:22 PM

I will check it out because what you described I don’t want happening

Oct 25, 2018, 1:04 PM

Rye grass is real wet and is a pain to rake up. We put it on our baseball field to look good against the clay but it was a pain when you cut it...

Oct 25, 2018, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: OT- Rye grass on an established yard? ]

CUAg96 has it exactly right. Even overseeding Bermuda with Rye has its consequences, especially if the Rye is not sprayed out in early spring. Quail Hollow, the fine golf course in Charlotte has to re-sod quite a few acres with Bermuda Sod in early summer because of all of the dead Bermuda caused by letting the Rye hang on for their annual PGA tournament.

Also, practically no one overseeds with Annual Rye. Golf courses and others overseed with Perennial Rye which is a much better grass. Even Perennial Rye is not going to make it though the summer here in the south, but it is much better while it is alive and would last longer into the summer. Since it should be sprayed out in early spring, it is the best choice if you want winter color. I would not overseen any grass if it were me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your yard will be green all winter, but

Oct 24, 2018, 4:18 PM

ryegrass is rarely used as a stand alone grass. Most generally, it will be part of a seed mixture selected for its fast germination and good wear resistance. This will be especially noticeable in the spring before the centipede resumes growth and you will likely see more weeds and the centipede may take a little longer to thicken up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Your yard will be green all winter, but

Oct 24, 2018, 5:21 PM

Yeah believe it or not for a new yard mix Centipede with Rye about this time of the year.
About the time the Rye dies the centipede starts popping up.
I just don’t want to choke out my grass this winter with the Rye. Especially since I really need to thin it out anyway.

The rye typically doesn't grow real thick and full anyway

Oct 24, 2018, 5:48 PM

so it's probably not going to "choke out" your centipede.

Just be sure to apply a generous amount of pre-emergent weed control before things start blooming in the spring.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

LOL. Well if you weren't confused before, you should be now!

Oct 24, 2018, 4:57 PM

DO IT IT'S GREAT! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< WELL, MAYBE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NOOOOO!!! It'll KILL your lawn!!

Have you de-thached the centipede?

Oct 24, 2018, 4:59 PM

I'd do that 1st, especially if it is very thick.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: Have you de-thached the centipede?

Oct 24, 2018, 5:14 PM

No but I really need to do this

DON'T DO IT!!!!.....

Oct 24, 2018, 7:20 PM [ in reply to Have you de-thached the centipede? ]

I did it (at my wife's "urging") ten years ago because my daughter had an early March wedding and she wanted the yard to look green and nice for the guests. Longest winter of my life. I mowed that stuff until it slap wore me out, at least weekly and sometimes every 5 days or so. It has a high moisture content, is slimy, clogs under the deck of the mower, and grows like kudzu. I probably seeded it too heavy also- my fault. It didn't burn out up here in Raleigh until late May. My advice- run away as fast as you can from winter rye.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 8:58 AM

Don't overseed centipede, you will only weaken it as it doesn't produce rhizomes (underground runners) like bermudagrass does.

Oct 25, 2018, 8:58 AM

Don't overseed centipede, you will only weaken it as it doesn't produce rhizomes (underground runners) like bermudagrass does.

Are you talking rye, or ryegrass? That's two different things

Oct 25, 2018, 11:40 AM

I think you may mean ryegrass.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic