Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think the fallout of this new NCAA deal
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,081

I think the fallout of this new NCAA deal

Oct 30, 2019, 12:01 AM

Will be players realizing how little their "image" is worth. Sure, we all think Trevor Lawrence, Tua Tulapatalova and Jalen Hurts are big celebrities, but I'd bet about 95% of the population have no idea what those guys even look like. If Jake Fromm was standing in my kitchen right now I'd have no idea who he was. To be honest, outside of Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers, I couldn't name another NFL player who has a big time endorsement deal. I have no idea what products Cam Newton endorces, maybe Ann Taylor?

And if you think the shady car-dealer boosters are going to start paying players for endorcements and put it on the books, you're crazy. They ain't gonna mail out 1099s to these kids. Why give a cut to Uncle Sam when all you gotta do is make a "donation" to the player's dad/uncle's "church"?

There might be some deals from the Nikes and Addidas for basketball players, which is really just what they've been doing all along but now it's legal ( probably a CYA for the NCAA from the FBI investigation), but really I don't see there being a lot of money in football. Jersey sales revenues are still going to the university, players might get some money off t-shirts and autographs, but that's about it. The superstars are only on a College team for a couple years, I don't see any legit good football player deciding to play for Texas over Clemson because he can get a few thousand dollars more in t-shirt sales.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You may be right, my Friend, but if there's one thing

Oct 30, 2019, 5:07 AM

I've learned in my long life, it's the fact that the American people are very inventive when it comes to making money.

Somebody somewhere somehow will come up with a unique way to profit off this new ruling, and the race will be on. I'm thinking something like, oh, calendars with collegiate football stars posing in Speedos.....lol.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it will impact recuriting.

Oct 30, 2019, 6:43 AM

Billy Bob Booster tells a HS kid, "Sign with Big Tech U and I'll pay you 100K to let me sit on the stage with you when you announce if you will autograph a picture of that moment for me."

Basketball players will be given shoe contracts by Nike, Adidas, New Balance, etc. for signing with the university the shoe company tells them to sign with. (For players like Zion, he will get his multi-million dollar deal the moment he signs his LOI, not the moment he declares for the NBA draft.

As for star athletes in college, like Tua and TL, It could become something like, "If you sign an exclusive deal with me and agree not to endorse any of my competitors (car company, local bank, - whatever company the moneybags booster works for) I'll pay you $100K per year."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think college athletes are worth 100k to a legit endorcement

Oct 30, 2019, 6:50 AM

And anybody making shady deals are going to keep doing it under the table. The NBA is ending one and done soon, so those players are going straight to the pros and not even bothering with college.

Re: I don't think college athletes are worth 100k to a legit endorcement

Oct 30, 2019, 8:06 AM

This is the end game. A farm system will develop for NFL talent and college football will be the also-ran's and not the elite international talent. I am not sure I have a problem with that. Nobody on my high school team went pro, but we still cheered.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think it will impact recuriting.

Oct 30, 2019, 9:16 AM [ in reply to I think it will impact recuriting. ]

bretfsu said:

Billy Bob Booster tells a HS kid, "Sign with Big Tech U and I'll pay you 100K to let me sit on the stage with you when you announce if you will autograph a picture of that moment for me."

Basketball players will be given shoe contracts by Nike, Adidas, New Balance, etc. for signing with the university the shoe company tells them to sign with. (For players like Zion, he will get his multi-million dollar deal the moment he signs his LOI, not the moment he declares for the NBA draft.

As for star athletes in college, like Tua and TL, It could become something like, "If you sign an exclusive deal with me and agree not to endorse any of my competitors (car company, local bank, - whatever company the moneybags booster works for) I'll pay you $100K per year."

1. This is already happening in college basketball, and most college basketball fans never left. Maybe fringe fans, but not die-hards.

2. No one college football player moves the needle that much where there will be an influx of people offering them $100,000 + to go to one school. Maybe a generational QB, but not likely. How many Clemson QBs that we have had do you think would make a decision on going to a school based on that? Certainly not Watson, Lawrence, or DJU. If a player can be bought that easily, do we even really want them? Rumor has it that we stopped recruiting Zach Evans once he had "handlers" involved. The rumor now is he hasn't committed anywhere because his camp is waiting on the highest bid. Is any RB worth that?

3. In an interview with Bomani Jones, Booger McFarland says that players exaggerate greatly what amounts of money, if any, was ever offered to them to up their clout. States while at LSU, he was never offered more than a few hundred dollars under the table. There is no way someone offered Rashan Gary $300,000 to go to a school. A player like that might be worth 1 more win a year.

4. We all need to wait until we see how rules are implemented before jumping to conclusions on how this is going to ruin college football. Players that will be offered thousands of dollars, are probably already getting it.

Re: I think the fallout of this new NCAA deal

Oct 30, 2019, 7:28 AM

The ncaa better effing think this through! If they don’t lock down every single loop hole it will be the end of college football. Unintended consequences will be far reaching.

If you read between the lines, the principles they released could allow them to be pretty strict. There should be caps on income that are low, like maybe the tuition amount. Possibly put funds over the cap in a trust fund.

I went to school when top players drove brand new trans ams. They did that under the radar. Having two or three players on the team living large out in the open is a disaster in the locker room.

Ultimately if the $$ are large this hurts the players they are trying to help. Drugs, prostitutes, $hitty grades, etc will be a new problem for people with new/free money.

Oct 30, 2019, 9:47 AM

NC_Tiger_ said:

Having two or three players on the team living large out in the open is a disaster in the locker room.

Players are already fully aware of their value relative to a team. Don't assume that their intelligence level is low on these matters. A kid would fully understand why a "star" on the team is getting more endorsement opportunities than a bench rider. They understand why playing time isn't equal so why would anything else?

NC_Tiger_ said:

Ultimately if the $$ are large this hurts the players they are trying to help. Drugs, prostitutes, $hitty grades, etc will be a new problem for people with new/free money.

This is a major reach, because these things are already a problem with kids who have this as a potential to be a problem with just scholarship money.

Oct 30, 2019, 8:00 AM

I just have to love the irony. For years on here, each time we lose out on a recruit we get several posters on here saying the recruit got paid off to go to the school he picked. Now that players will be allowed to profit off of their own image those same people are saying college sports will be ruined because people will be paying for recruits.

Curious to how much Renfrow made from that Nissan

Oct 30, 2019, 8:09 AM

commercial he did. That's probably the going rate.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

This idea will be very difficult to make work and be fair

Oct 30, 2019, 8:46 AM

To every player and every institution. And, if it’s not fair for everyone, don’t do it!

Just wait until agents become involved, and call themselves

Oct 30, 2019, 9:37 AM

"marketing" agents.

GO TIGERS!!

Re: Just wait until agents become involved, and call themselves

Oct 30, 2019, 12:00 PM

Never mind agents, there will be plenty of greedy parents lusting after what their kids haul in. Now they can put their hands out legally.

It depends on how well everything is implemented and

Oct 30, 2019, 9:46 AM

regulated.

A brand new high profile recruit's likeness may not be worth ~50k when he steps foot on campus, but his commitment might be worth ~50k to some boosters. Paying him 50k straight up is still illegal, but promising him 50k worth of "endorsement deals" over his 3-4 years on campus now appears to be within the rules.

Oct 30, 2019, 9:49 AM

Back in the day, boosters were passing out cars left and right to recruits until the NCAA put a stop to it. What makes you think it won’t happen again?

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,081
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic