Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just facing the obvious truth...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,622

Just facing the obvious truth...

Jan 23, 2019, 9:24 AM

I remember the past, like you, I’m living the present and I fear the future of Clemson Basketball. No, this isn’t another “FIRE BROWNELL!” Post, guite the contrary. Like we jokingly speculate about who would the coots get when they fire Mushcump? Who could we realistically hire at this point? What we have in CBB is most likely better than who we could attract. He runs a clean program, recruits the best he can without paying big $$$ for players and he has the beginnings of a Daboesque culture. The blame for this team’s struggles lie in many places but clearly it’s not one man’s fault. I’m not saying I don’t want a winner in every sport but some situations are more complex and difficult to overcome. We are in that situation and only time, patience, resources and fan support will remedy this situation. Obviously, CBB loves Clemson and this topsy turvy tenure at Clemson can’t be fun for him or his team but strangely I believe he can do it. Atleast I hope so.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just facing the obvious truth...

Jan 23, 2019, 9:45 AM

It is tough... I mean we have a very experienced team that returns almost everyone from a Sw16 run... we came within inches of signing the biggest recruit in a decade in Zion... which I think missing on him was a gut punch that the whole team felt...

But there are some positive signs in there... this season isnt going like we want for sure, but not sure there is a clear and obvious answer.

Jan 23, 2019, 9:48 AM

I think guys like Zion want to be a star on a great team they don't want to be the "Dale Murphy". That in itself makes it hard for Clemson to get its breakthrough signee

Jan 23, 2019, 9:47 AM

I agree BB has a tougher starting point than Dabo did. Basketball has never been the marquee sport in Clemson and never garners as much fan support. Football at its lowest still has more support. that cant make it easy to recruit top players. The 1 and done atmosphere of college basketball makes it harder too unless you're a blue blood with a laundry list of NBA alumni.

You bring up a good point with the one and done

Jan 23, 2019, 9:56 AM

problems the blue bloods face. Every year during the tourney you always hear the experts talk about why some of these mid majors show so well. It's because they have experience because they don't have the one and done. Isn't that what we have this year? With 4 returning starters from last year this team should be better than what they are.

Some of the same things were said about Women's basketball..

Jan 23, 2019, 9:49 AM

for those who were actually talking about women's basketball.

Not trying to be argumentative but what do you really think

Jan 23, 2019, 10:03 AM

it's going to take for him to get it done? This is his 9th season with a senior laden team coming off of a sweet 16 showing. He has to put a better, more consistent product on the court before the fan base will really get behind him and if he hasn't done it in 9 years, I just don't think it's going to happen

He's starting to lose my support and I tend to not

Jan 23, 2019, 5:36 PM

want to fire coaches till the end

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2019, 5:18 PM

CBB is never going to get it done. Nine yrs. and still trying. Time to move on. Should have moved on 2 yrs. ago. CU will probably never be in top tier of ACC BB. We never have. Not sure what it will take to start a turn-a-round.

IMO, Rick Barnes was best coach we ever had. Problem is if you get a coach at Clemson who turns the program around and starts winning, it proves to other teams he is an outstanding coach and it will be hard to keep him because he will have offers from bigger programs. I'd be looking at getting one of Roy Williams or Coach K's proteges. Two of the top programs in the country. Johhny Dawkins currently at UCF comes to mind. The top 5 current coaches who played and were asst. coaches for Coach K are not going to come to Clemson. They hope to replace Coach K when he retires and they must have a winning track record to be considered. Here are the top 5 to replace Coach K, don't like him, but he will go down as greatest BB coach ever:

Steve Wojciechowski
Jeff Capel
Chris Collins
Bobby Hurley
Steve Amaker

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/evaluating-mike-krzyzewskis-future-at-duke-and-the-top-5-candidates-to-one-day-replace-coach-k/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2019, 5:33 PM

You mean Tommy Amaker?

Jan 23, 2019, 6:03 PM

yes. tommy amaker. thanks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,622
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic