Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just as all of you are. .....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 2,886

Just as all of you are. .....

Feb 14, 2019, 11:36 AM

I am disappointed with the results of the basketball games. I really don’t believe it’s all in the coaching because the Tigers are in a position to win a big majority of all the games they play. When we play teams with exceptional talent such as Duke or Virginia we often are out played and that is to be expected. A lot of reallly good teams lose to teams like that. For some reason, and this perhaps could be due to coaching, the team just hadn’t learned to ‘refuse to lose’.
Obviously this is skill that the football team has. In close games they expect to win.... and they almost always do. I suspect, with the basketball team, a lot of the close game loses are due to a lack of leadership. We really don’t have that one guy who accepts this role and the team lacks that little extra effort that is so vital to winning close games.
In last night game, the final shot came down to a Canes’ player making that winning play and we watched! IF the defender had dove for that ball that was fumbled around under the basket before the shot it likely would have added a few seconds to the game, and thats all we needed. You learn from games like this and this team will be better next time out. I’m not giving up on the Tigers OR Coach Brownell.Hang in there. Before seasons end you’ll be glad that you did .
GO TIGERS

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i see posts like this year after year about c.b.b.

Feb 14, 2019, 12:31 PM

and i want to believe it but i do not.
we lose to many games to teams we should beat and when we play the unc's,dukes,and virginias of the world we usually lose ugly.
i agree coach brad is a nice likable guy.
but he can not recruit like coach k or roy williams.

i like watching all of clemsons athletics but basketball is most painful.

we do not seem to treat the basketball program with the same scrutiny as football.

in the last decade the univerisity made the changes to get the football program back to prominice.
#### back to domination.

just my thoughts go tigers.

Re: i see posts like this year after year about c.b.b.

Feb 14, 2019, 3:42 PM

Remind me of the coach who brought big time, McDonald’s aa,five star players to Clemson. I’ve let that one completely slip by me and I’ve been watching Clemson basketball since 1959! Tate’s Locke does not count! We paid the price for that one.

Re: i see posts like this year after year about c.b.b.

Feb 14, 2019, 3:46 PM

Oliver Purnell - Milton Jennings.

Milton Jennings?

Feb 14, 2019, 6:52 PM

You kid right. He wasn’t even drafted

Re: Milton Jennings?

Feb 15, 2019, 10:43 AM

He was a McDonald’s All-American and 5 star. That was your question, not which players were drafted. At the time, it was a big deal that Clemson basketball could land this type of prospect.

The fact that it didn’t work out as we all had hoped doesn’t negate this. Purnell proved it can be done at Clemson.

LOL, yes the 5 star player who wasn't offered by

Feb 15, 2019, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: i see posts like this year after year about c.b.b. ]

Duke, UNC, Kentucky, or any other top basketball power. He wasn't a legitimate 5 star player. Probably wasn't even a 4 star player based on the high school competition he faced and his performance in college. He wasn't a bad player, but there is no way he was truly a top 30, 5-star player coming out of high school.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: LOL, yes the 5 star player who wasn't offered by

Feb 15, 2019, 1:21 PM

Really simple here. No one is saying Milton Jennings was Michael Jordan. FORESTTIGER asked to be reminded of a time when Clemson Basketball signed a player who was rated at this elite level. Milton Jennings was, that is not disputable.

Also, I believe Sharone Wright was also a McDonald’s All-American.

I know you guys love Coach Brownell (I like him too and still hope for the best) and you despise OP, but facts are facts.

And yes, OP has a horrible record in the tournament. We know that.

I don't despise OP at all. He is a very good program

Feb 15, 2019, 1:43 PM

builder, and we were an exciting team to watch while he was here. He did a lot of good things for our program. There is no denying that he signed our first McDonald's All-American in over 15 years (you are correct about Sharone Wright being one).

I just felt that we reached our ceiling with OP, and it was clear that aside from the top 20 class he signed with Jennings, Johnson, etc., that the cupboard was bare with some lean years ahead. We saw that in Brownell's second season, when the talent level inherited from OP sharply declined.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I don't despise OP at all. He is a very good program

Feb 15, 2019, 1:55 PM

OP’s talent drop off led to a SEVEN year tourney drought. He must have really been asleep at the wheel to affect Brownell that far into his tenure. I kid! I get it and agree with you mostly.

Are you worried about next year being a rebuilding year? Any concern with roster management that so much of our production is from seniors?

I’m would be content with us getting in the tourney 50% of the time, knowing that we will have these rebuilding situations occasionally. That’s what is so disappointing about this year. This should have been one of our best years in recent memory with all of the senior leaders on the team. A few injuries yes, but nothing catastrophic. I truly don’t understand this year.

Yes, I am concerned about next year.

Feb 15, 2019, 3:47 PM

We lose a ton of production from this year’s team: Reed, Mitchell, Skara, and Thomas. I’m not sure how we will compensate for that. Simms, Trapp, and White will need to take major steps forward. And we have to hope that Baehre is ready to contribute, and that Dawes can provide some good minutes as a true freshman.

I’m not ready to give up on this year’s team though. Lots of basketball left to be played. We can absolutely still make the Big Dance, and I think we will.

Re: Yes, I am concerned about next year.

Feb 15, 2019, 4:10 PM

Chase Hunter will play...a lot. And I think he'll surprise many.

Of course we don’t treat basketball

Feb 14, 2019, 4:39 PM [ in reply to i see posts like this year after year about c.b.b. ]

with the same scrutiny as we do Football, we are a Football school we always have been and we will continue to be one until we put the same time money and effort into the basketball program that we put in our football program. Do you think duke treats their football program under the same scrutiny as their basketball program? Of course not. Of course CBB doesn’t recruit as well as Coach k does, or Roy Williams does. Those guys coach at schools who are all in on their basketball programs and suffice their every need, do we do that? What Clemson basketball coach has ever recruited better than UNC or duke while he’s at Clemson?
Let me ask you something,
How many Home Football games have you missed this year?
How many Home Basketball games did you miss this year?
How many Home Football games failed to sellout this year?
How many home basketball games failed to sellout this year?
Until that number is consistently the same you can’t complain about not putting the same amount of scrutiny on the Basketball program as we do the Football program.

If you want to see Brownell be more successful

Feb 15, 2019, 12:47 PM [ in reply to i see posts like this year after year about c.b.b. ]

then give him what he needs.

The new facilities are great, but more enhancements would be nice. We are now in the top half of the ACC in terms of facilities. Maybe top 1/3rd, but certainly not the best in the country. Rather than patting ourselves on the back for throwing some crumbs basketball's way, let's commit to continued facility improvements. Let's not wait 10-15 years before we address facilities again. By that time, they will be very outdated.

Brad needs a higher budget for assistant coaches. He got some help here from the AD last year, but could certainly use more. Remember, Dabo didn't become a great coach until he was given the budget to go after the nation's best assistant coaches.

Brad also needs more support staff. It's easy to say that he isn't a good recruiter, but more staff devoted to recruiting and social media would go a long way. Dabo got approval for additional support staff early in his tenure here and it has helped tremendously.

When you think about it, it's ludicrous to expect Brad to sign top recruits given the fact that our basketball history is poor, and we are viewed as a football school that doesn't care about basketball. Recruits come to our games and see half-empty stands. They go to peer ACC schools and see great facilities, likely even better than we have. If you're expecting Brad or any other coach to convince top basketball players to overcome all of that, and get them to sign with Clemson, you're asking for the impossible.

Make the tournament or turn the page.

Feb 14, 2019, 12:40 PM

That's what it boils down to. That's the metric, in my opinion. I like Brad. I hope he can do it. Clemson Grit. But if he can't, I'm sorry, it's time. Maybe it's pressure, but that's part of what a coach signs up for. Get it done, Brad. I'm rooting for you.

Still want Shaka Smart if he becomes available

Feb 14, 2019, 8:14 PM

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a lot easier to "refuse to lose" when you

Feb 15, 2019, 12:41 PM

are the most talented team on the field.

Our football team's "mental toughness" should not be compared to our basketball team's, because our basketball team isn't filled with top shelf talent like our football team's is.

Bottom line is wins and unfortunately we need a 500 ACC

Feb 15, 2019, 3:24 PM

record to get to the dance

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A .500 ACC record is very much a possibility.

Feb 15, 2019, 3:49 PM

I’m not sure why some of our fans are already throwing in the towel.

Re: Just as all of you are. .....

Feb 15, 2019, 3:51 PM

well I guess you are happy with always just being Clemson Basketball. CBB has had 10 years and with arguably his best team. Look like every other team he has had . These players have been playing Basketball all their lives and would have had to make Baskets in HS. What happens to them here?

Replies: 19
| visibility 2,886
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic