Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jimbo Fisher
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Jimbo Fisher

May 14, 2019, 9:16 AM

Why exactly did FSU not want to keep Jimbo? I can't really remember. I can tell you this: I keep hearing people say that Jimbo isn't a good coach. Someone's going to have to explain that one to me. Forget about the person he is (thats another conversation), but it still amazes me the # of people who said when he left FSU that it "wasn't that big of a deal". Yea?

2012-2014: 29 Straight Wins (Saban? Never done it). 10 wins over top-25 teams, 3 ACC Titles, 2 Playoff Appearances, 1 Heisman Trophy Winner, and 1 National Championship (2013). These rosters set the NFL record for most draft picks in a 3-year window.

2015- 10 wins
2016- 10 wins, finished #8
2017- last year, can't remember

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Jimbo Fisher

May 14, 2019, 9:25 AM

Jimbo seemed to start going downhill after his personal problems became a big issue. In his last season, FSU finished with a 7-6 record on the field, and dead last in APR scores off. Several losses to Clemson didn't help.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

May 14, 2019, 6:59 PM

personal problems being his wife's infidelity and her shameless public indiscretions-

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Overall he was very good at FSU, but things were

May 14, 2019, 9:28 AM

quickly spiraling out of control there under his leadership and i strongly believe that both FSU and Jimbo needed fresh starts. The Jimbo they would've had going forward was not the same Jimbo they had from 2010-2016. The quality of his staff had also greatly deteriorated, and, at least according to some FSU guys like Bud Elliott, he was unwilling to fire most of them. And that's also a bit odd considering he took almost nobody from his FSU staff along to A&M with him.

So you don’t recognize that for the last several years his program

May 14, 2019, 9:34 AM

Sank each year and that his offensive line became laughable at best? He did great when the program he took over was Bowden’s and I would agree that he kept it going longer than would be consistent with just being left over from Bowden. However, there was an obvious decline the last several years and he left a #### show for Taggart.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Francois can verify the downfall of the OL

May 14, 2019, 9:48 AM

He took a beating almost every game.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

May 14, 2019, 9:37 AM

He replaced Bobby Bowden. Just like Ken Hatfield. His first two seasons were with Danny's players and then after that, it went down hill. Neither stood a chance in my opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2019, 9:57 AM

Jimbo won a national championship with 100% his players. Had nothing to do with Bowden, who by the way was also not dominant near the end of his tenure. So he didn’t exactly leave Jimbo with a ready-made product.

May 14, 2019, 11:59 AM

This is correct. Bowden was trying the nepotism thing and his team was nowhere near dynamic on offense at the end. Jimbo revived them briefly but his culture became toxic and, much like Spurrier, he could see Dabo writing on the wall “Best is yet to come”

I got the sense that it was more Jimbo's decision

May 14, 2019, 9:44 AM

I think he felt that after everything he did for FSU, they didn't really value that he was one of the top coaches in the country and after that last year, rather than him get fired and diminish his reputation, he just took a more secure job with less expectations at A&M where he got just as much if not more money than he would have made at FSU. Worked out pretty good for Jimbo if you ask me. FSU on the other hand....

May 14, 2019, 9:46 AM

He's not my favorite. I think he comes across as a bozo. It irks me he ever got into Clemson even if only for a few weeks

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jimbo Fisher is a good offensive mind and a decent

May 14, 2019, 10:10 AM

recruiter. Past that, his leadership skills are crap, and that's what a good HC does better than anything is lead, organize, discipline, and instill a belief that he's in charge and the program is better for it.

Fisher was fortunate enough to get Jameis Winston and a couple of other guys who made him look like a better coach ON THE FIELD than he is. Ironically, it was Winston who exposed Fisher for being the horrible leader that he is, too.

The fresh start and huge money at aTm and the continued downfall of FSU and Fisher's parting shots at FSU have given people a different idea about Fisher as a HC but the other shoe will drop at some point. He's a buffoon looking for a place to happen.

Re: Jimbo Fisher is a good offensive mind and a decent

May 14, 2019, 6:30 PM

Next stop LSU in about 2021 after things implode for Ed Ogre. I like Ed and they have talent everywhere but QB but his fan base is tired of losing to Bama. And he cannot beat Bama at their own game, which is what he is trying to do. Natives will be restless soon. Jimbo was there under Saban and would not be surprised to see this happen.

He lost Control of that program

May 14, 2019, 6:52 PM

He is a good coach. Agreed.
But, his last few seasons there, they under-performed. Particularly his last year where they had to beg the NCAA to let them in by making up a game vs. an FCS team to get to 6 wins(they went on to win their bowl game; but should not have been eligible in the 1st place w/only 5 fbs wins).
People who love to convict Taggert forget to mention that about Fisher!

I'm happy FSU is a dumpster fire to some degree. But, be good to have that team(maybe Syracuse) to put that fear in you; to keep you from resting on past success! Knowing you will have to work your backside off makes a difference when playing less talented teams.

He is a good coach and needed a fresh start perhaps!

May 14, 2019, 10:25 AM

Good game day coach. Won most of his games with vastly superior players. Was more successful with Bowdens players. Bad CEO and bad politician. He's kinda old school all around.

I think he saw that beating Dabo would be a problem for 20 years and he knew there would be a power void in the SEC west when Saban leaves soonish. He picked his poison
I think fsu leadership and lack of investment also weighed heavily. He knew that Texas was up for grabs too since Herman is not established yet. If Herman starts winning big and Saban stays 6+ years he's screwed by a low ceiling. Most in Texas are dying for the horns to be relevant and when they are A&M will struggle to recruit.

Knew it was over when he was on national TV

May 14, 2019, 10:35 AM

arguing with a fan telling the fan to come down and say it to his face. In reference to the fan saying, “You suck!”

May 14, 2019, 10:50 AM

Serviceable coach.

Remember when Bowden was on his way out? Everyone talked about how the program "slipped" during the final couple of years under Bowden, but those were Jimbo's teams.

He got Jameis and won something...but other than that - he hasn't done much.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know how many others here actually care

May 14, 2019, 11:01 AM

about FSU and/or podcasts in general, but i occasionally listen to the Nolecast which features Bud Elliott who has spent a lot of time covering FSU football and is also now the lead CFB recruiting analyst at S&B Nation.

Last week's episode was about recruiting and player development during Jimbo's tenure. They actually went through each of his classes player by player and noted how those guys turned out. As a non-FSU fan that part was a bit tedious to listen to, but they had a nice synopsis at the end where they talked about trends and where things went wrong for Jimbo.

Of note to me:

-Jimbo took a lot of guys with character issues. Most of these guys caused minimal problems early in his tenure but there was a recent pack of bad apples that hung around together that included Francois and Nyqwan Murray, among others. These guys were apparently team cancers even before Francois got into serious legal troubles and was dismissed by Taggart. Jimbo never reined them in.

-Jimbo also had quite a few signees that never qualified. There was also a pattern of Jimbo blaming these incidents on others claiming he was "misled" or "deceived."

-Jimbo "hit" on prospects at an unsustainable rate over his first 3 or 4 recruiting classes. Bud Elliott even talks about an interview he had with Jimbo after the 2013 national title during which he pointed out to Jimbo that his hit rate seemed unsustainably high. Jimbo got pretty angry and was apparently under the opinion that he was just better at evaluating and coaches guys rather than having been lucky during recruiting. Of course this corrected itself later as his hit rate dropped precipitously and his developmental takes largely quit developing in his program.

-They had some bad injury and attrition luck in very specific areas. Linebacker was the big one. I can't remember if OL was the other.

Anyway, it was difficult to listen to this and not come away with the impression that Jimbo is pretty arrogant and also pretty lacking in the leadership and integrity department.

Re: I don't know how many others here actually care

May 14, 2019, 1:33 PM

+1

I work with several major FSU alums. Basically, a few said that Jimbo was willing to roll the dice on a lot of kids "talent vs character" and the first bit he hitting on everything. That 2013 year was hard on me with this group as it seemed like Jimbo could just work magic. There were still some ethical questions but he was winning so that solved everything. Then he has some misses/bad luck and the character issues became apparent because those kids would be "ok" during the good times but real problems when you get run over by Louisville.

The other item would be Jimbo's personal life. When it went sour with his marriage (even I feel bad for him here) and his son's health issues. He was a bit of a prick to the FSU folks but his home life issues amplified it. He was already know for being an odd control freak on the field (makes sense at times) but when the home issues hit with the control issues, it was a bad combo. Keep in mind that these control issue spilled over with administration, especially investment - etc... but I am sure Clemson has never had to deal with this issue. Still, the "control" issued kinda worked when rolling the dice on some issues but as Elliot said, it was not sustainable nor was it sustainable when also dealing with non-football issues.

May 14, 2019, 11:47 AM

Poor character in recruiting,allowing everything to go on and allowing some players to show up on field in uniform when they are suspended.Fox in charge of chicken house.They were the laughing stock of the fbs and administration had soured on his lack of control.Its also said that he is a prick to work for and coaches leaving all the time indicates that.

May 14, 2019, 12:37 PM

I think Jimbo is an excellent coach whose life fell apart while he was at FSU and I suspect that was hard on his game. I would guess the change of venue will really help him.

I also think he is a good talent recruiter. Great talent and excellent gameday recruiting will win a lot of games. I like the Dabo model a lot more, but the halls of fame are full of coaches who won a lot of games with talent between the white lines.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He started going downhill when he caught his wife

May 14, 2019, 4:07 PM

and some tennis coach or something. Anyway, he's divorced now, moved, and is starting over. He will do well. His problems were definitely personal and he will be back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic