Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is Usuc our football rival?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Why is Usuc our football rival?

Jul 9, 2019, 1:42 PM

It isn’t even the best game on our schedule every year, we dominate them almost 2-1 (70–42–4) and their team has been in shambles since the old ball coach left. Nationally it isn’t even a top 5 rivalry game.

We should play a rivalry came of consequence. Like UGA where we recruit the same ball players, play 70 miles a part and has national interest. Plus the SEC would be put in its place as they couldn’t claim superiority over the ACC.

Iron sharpens Iron.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is Usuc our football rival?

Jul 9, 2019, 1:49 PM

We were in the same conference and had to beat one another in order to move on in the conference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2019, 10:18 PM

We still have a ways to go to draw even with Georgia Tech; they play in our conference and they stole our first great coach

You don’t choose your rival, your rival is

Jul 9, 2019, 1:50 PM

Developed over generations and there is an inherent dislike for them and it comes natural. If you don’t think they’re our rival wait until we lose to them again and you’ll change your mind.

Re: You don’t choose your rival, your rival is

Jul 9, 2019, 7:46 PM

"...wait until we lose to them again" - uh - I'm not gonna live that long, so I'm good - right?

Jul 9, 2019, 1:51 PM

I kind of like it. It makes beating them that much sweeter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because we SHARE the same state with them!

Jul 9, 2019, 2:07 PM

Silly goose

Jul 9, 2019, 2:11 PM

We are in the same state and because a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, we sucked about as bad as they do.

It’s like you don’t know how states work***

Jul 9, 2019, 2:14 PM

Re: It’s like you don’t know how states work***

Jul 9, 2019, 7:37 PM

The best rivalries in sports are not always state specific. Ask Texas what they think about Oklahoma. Ask OSU what they think of fichigan. Ask UGA about Florida. Ask Notre Dame about USC. On and On. There are rivals who are State Specific. Look closely and you will see there is something else there.

For me having UGA as our rival would be amazing. They have a different style of play, they recruit the same players, are the closest college in terms of distance and they are envious of Clemson. (Plus we have all the best players from around there area). So high school kids would play high school kids from rival areas. I also think it would be much higher national significance than the USC game which lately is about as competitive as the Wake Forest game every year.

Re: It’s like you don’t know how states work***

Jul 9, 2019, 8:44 PM

There’s no other P5 school in Ohio so that precludes OSU from an instate rival. Oklahoma still has Ok St as their end of year rival and Texas played A&M every year until they stopped it with the move to the SEC. UGA and UF both have in state rivals they play to end the season. ND is a private catholic school in Indiana who schedules nationwide and USC’s primary rival is still UCLA.

I would enjoy playing UGA often but the coots will always be our primary rival. There is no other team whose mere existence angers me like those delusional dirtpeckers.

Because God loves us.***

Jul 9, 2019, 2:26 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

For a short time in the 80s, your wish almost came true

Jul 9, 2019, 2:37 PM

We were on a par with Georgia and we were playing each other regularly.

South Carolina was not doing particularly well.

But, teams have to play each other regularly to be “rivals” and for a number of reasons, the Georgia-Clemson games all but disappeared.

We’ve played South Carolina far more than any other opponent, and the game is highly anticipated regardless of how the season is going.

For the foreseeable future, I believe, SCAR will remain Clemson’s chief rival.

It just natural.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is Usuc our football rival? Because UGa is

Jul 9, 2019, 2:49 PM

scared to play us regularly. They would be a natural rival in all sports

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2019, 2:57 PM

Go back to the 1880s - it isn't just football.

Someone stole the coots lunch/Morrell money and started up some high seminary of learning in the upstate. This was a result of a failure on the coots for focusing on who's daddy would pay more than the aptitude or sweat on one's brow. That is why Columbia has lower standard across the entire higher education in the state. No honor, no talent, no hustle. Why do you think Columbia has "so much SEC money" and so few championships - it has been that way for over 100 years.

After so many decades, the coots still hold onto failed thinking and prioritization of empty words and false worth rather than hard work and results. Thus in every Clemson success is a declamation of 120 years of Columbia's ignorance, laziness, sloth, and greed.

They were our rival before we existed

Jul 9, 2019, 3:32 PM

because they tried to keep us from existing.

Lol

Jul 9, 2019, 3:44 PM

Can't stand this kind of thinking

Same as the stupid UGA fans who claim that GT shouldn't be their rival anymore

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2019, 7:20 PM

It really is a poor game. If ratings determined the importance of the game you would see that the viewership for this game was the same for Michigan State vs Rutgers in week 15.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/#2018wk15

Jul 9, 2019, 7:21 PM

Week 13 that is

Jul 9, 2019, 7:24 PM

If you look closely at the weekly ratings it draws less interest than 5 other games on our schedule throughout the year.

Jul 9, 2019, 9:02 PM

So?

Jul 9, 2019, 7:38 PM

So you're saying we shouldn't be rivals with South Carolina because we have a winning percentage of over 62% against them, and add that we should be rivals with Georgia who has a 70% winning percentage against us?

Jul 9, 2019, 7:55 PM

I think that the fact that at some point UGA dominated the series over time that the game didn’t carry as much consequence for them. Look at the period post 80’s and 90’s for Clemson. The draw wasn’t there as much. This is exactly what is happening to the Clemson rivalry.

Consider that 2x the people watch week 13 than any other regular season game. This is an excellent opportunity for our team to extend our reach and I feel like we are missing out here.

Jul 9, 2019, 7:50 PM

It has become very, very clear that SECondplace teams do not want to include CLEMSON on their schedule. They are doing everything possible to only schedule cupcakes like Buffalo or Jacksonville State, etc. They might play an ACC team in football, like Duke or Loserville who are seldom any good, but avoid the better teams in P5 conferences.

Jul 9, 2019, 8:02 PM

Following the 1987 game, the expansion of the SEC schedule from six to seven games prompted Georgia to stop playing non-conference opponents Clemson and South Carolina each year. Instead, Georgia would alternate two-game series against the two schools, with Georgia scheduling home-and-home series versus Clemson for 1990 and 1991, 1994 and 1995, 1998 and 1999, and 2002 and 2003. This was the end of the yearly rivalry. With the expansion of the SEC in 1992 and the eight-game conference schedule, the 1998 and 1999 games were canceled.

Jul 9, 2019, 8:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is Usuc our football rival? ]

We've had 5 regular season games in recent years with Auburn, 2 with A&M(after next year) and 2 with Georgia with more scheduled in the future. Alabama just played FSU a couple of years ago as well as VT and Louisville in recent years, and they have a game with Miami coming up in 2021...so what ACC team are they avoiding? They also had a recent game with USC and another one coming up in 2020.

Georgia has had the games with us that I mentioned as well as ND, and they have upcoming games within the next few years with Oklahoma and Oregon.

LSU just had a game with Miami and has future OOC games with Texas and Clemson.

I don't really feel like continuing, but I don't think the narrative you're presenting is all that factual although I realize it's a common one.

Last year for instance, the SEC played more games against P5 conferences(23) than any other conference with the second closet being the Big 10 who played 21. The year before they were second with 22 games compared to the ACC with 24. The year before that they were also second with 25 compared to 26 by the ACC.

Jul 9, 2019, 10:44 PM

I appreciate that you are trying to inject some common sense and factual information into this narrative. Good luck with that. I'm convinced a random thought runs through some of the guys' heads and their first inclination is to post it - no matter how dumb it is.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never, Ever Forget...

Jul 9, 2019, 7:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: Never, Ever Forget...

Jul 9, 2019, 8:06 PM

I don’t think he minds...

if you grew up in the state of SC

Jul 9, 2019, 8:53 PM

you had relatives, friends, neighbors, classmates, etc. who were Gamecock fans.

And the need to ask this question would never occur to you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

because Ga. dropped us off the schedule***

Jul 9, 2019, 10:00 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: because Ga. dropped us off the schedule***

Jul 10, 2019, 12:39 PM

So my last comment on the issue. After we play them for two years. Look back and ask yourself which game is more consequential, more desired to win and more back and forth. The USC or UGA game. Which game would have more implications and impact on the program.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic