Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sammy Watkins or Justyn Ross
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Sammy Watkins or Justyn Ross

Jan 10, 2019, 9:46 PM

Tiger nation help me decide. if you could only have one which one would you choose I cannot decide this . Both absolutely great receivers as freshman .

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sammy Watkins or Justyn Ross

Jan 10, 2019, 9:59 PM

Sammy Watkins definitely had a larger role in the offense and put up more stats, but they are totally different types of players

Jan 10, 2019, 10:02 PM

Both phenoms. Sammy was so explosive. Ross is a freak . Ross reminds me of a younger Randy moss .

Jan 10, 2019, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Sammy Watkins or Justyn Ross ]

That's what I was thinking. Depends on the down and distance.

If someone said, you can only pick one...then I'm drafting Nuk. Doesn't have the straight ahead speed of either but has the catch radius of Ross, the toughness of Sammy (without the injuries), and hands of Velcro.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Sammy Watkins or Justyn Ross ]

Sammy played on a less complete team. That may have made him stand out more

Ross is the genetic results of Sammy's and Nuk's...

Jan 10, 2019, 10:00 PM

DNA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At this point..Sammy, because he was a great return man also***

Jan 10, 2019, 10:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At this point..Sammy, because he was a great return man also***

Jan 10, 2019, 10:09 PM

Good answer. Remember when Sammy took the kick off back to the house at Maryland to win the game

Jan 10, 2019, 10:04 PM

Sammy was a more powerful receiver. He would run you over if he had to. They are both extremely fast. Right now we have Justyn so I’m going with justyn because we have him for 2 more years.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2019, 10:12 PM

Junior Sammy ran people over. Freshman Sammy was pretty thin and not really that guy yet. Gotta compare apples to apples.

It's too soon to tell which is better

Jan 10, 2019, 10:18 PM

Maybe after next year

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: It's too soon to tell which is better

Jan 11, 2019, 8:47 AM

Sammy had a great career for the Tigers and Ross is well on his way. My thought is what more would Sammy have done with TL at QB?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's too soon to tell which is better

Jan 11, 2019, 10:34 AM

Oh man, reading that just made me jump a little. Sammy was phenomenal with Tajh, but with TL? Unreal...

Yes!***

Jan 11, 2019, 8:49 AM

Sammy was incredible and had more speed but Ross

Jan 11, 2019, 8:54 AM

is the total package and a more complete WR. Listen to anyone talk about Ross this week, even Dabo himself. He's already an incredible route runner, he can get off the line against press coverage as well as anyone in CFB (he literally broke a guys ankle Monday night with his release... that's supposed to be a sports joke, not something that actually happens), and he has hands like Odell Beckham.

And we all know, sadly, that Sammy just can't stay healthy. I have nothing but love for Sammy Watkins, but I'm taking Ross and I think there's a good chance he's the best WR to ever step on the field at WRU.

There has never been a bigger Sammy Watkins

Jan 11, 2019, 8:56 AM

fan than I.

Give me Justyn Ross.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Jan 11, 2019, 9:16 AM

Ross is the best route runner I’ve ever seen IMO

Ross. Much better at getting open. Sammy was just pure

Jan 11, 2019, 9:48 AM

speed at that point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 10:13 AM

Maybe my memory is slipping or I'm a prisoner of the moment, but I remember Sammy taking advantage of seems in coverage and a high volume of opportunities in his freshman season.

Ross absolutely was better than everybody he played this season.

Sammy was better than all of our other options (advantage over Nuk mostly because of Tajh's development at that point) and Ross was better than everybody's options.

I think Ross was an overall better receiver as a freshman. Sammy may have had more tools to use though with the return game.

I actually think Kendrick and Watkins is a much better comparison because they have a lot more of the same tools. Sammy was better but they are very comparable players. Watkins obviously got much more of an opportunity to showcase his skills as a freshman than Kendrick. We will see how Kendrick develops moving forward.

Ross

Jan 11, 2019, 10:15 AM

I loved Sammy but Ross is bigger, stronger and his hands are equally as crazy. Maybe a little better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 10:17 AM

Watkins had that tough sophomore year with suspension and injury. I hope Ross can give us 3 great years and he and TL go 1 and 2 in the draft.

Jan 11, 2019, 10:17 AM

Watkins had that tough sophomore year with suspension and injury. I hope Ross can give us 3 great years and he and TL go 1 and 2 in the draft.

Jan 11, 2019, 10:20 AM

Don't overlook Tee Higgins. He literally catches EVERYTHING! He and Ross are very similar. Plus Tee is an excellent blocker.

Tee is excellent but Ross is basically Tee with more polish***

Jan 11, 2019, 10:26 AM

Sammy***

Jan 11, 2019, 10:22 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 10:27 AM

Justyn maybe the better receiver; Sammy is definitely the better football player. Blocking, toughness, etc

Jan 11, 2019, 11:01 AM

Go back and watch some of our long TD runs this season.

Justyn Ross and Tee Higgins both absolutely DOMINATE defensive backs when they are blocking.

I'm not saying Sammy wasn't a good blocker but don't slight Ross or Higgins just because nobody is talking about it.

Jan 11, 2019, 10:27 AM

Justyn maybe the better receiver; Sammy is definitely the better football player. Blocking, toughness, etc

Yes.***

Jan 11, 2019, 10:30 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't Choose...

Jan 11, 2019, 10:33 AM

I've been going back and forth and I can't...

I'm leaning towards Sammy because he made such an impact where he literally carried the team on his back like the Marilyn Comeback which was insane...Also, as much as I will always love me some Tajh Boyd, Justin had a better QB throwing to him.

can I call it a tie?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Sammy. First team All American as a freshman. Nuff said.

Jan 11, 2019, 10:40 AM

Saw an analysis of him and he had a burst...his zero to top speed was unbeatable....basically, even if your top end speed was the same as his, he already had an 8-yard headstart. And yeah, he would bulldoze dudes and shake off half-a$$ tackles.

But, I love Ross...just the beginning for him. Can't imagine TL and Watkins, though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's hard to pick between the two

Jan 11, 2019, 10:50 AM

because they are different types of receivers.

Sammy was a phenomenal college receiver. He was fast, but not the fastest guy on the team. What set him apart was his ability to accelerate while running a route to where he could run himself open. I remember watching him time and time again appearing covered until the ball was thrown, and then he would take that one step to speed up and get significant separation from the DB. I really think, other than injury, that’s been his main issue in the NFL. All the DBs in the NFL are so fast that his “one step” just isn’t as effective as it was against lesser competition in college. He also had that awesome “grab the ball out of the air” catching style and was a great blocker.

The jury is still out on Ross since it’s his first season, but it’s clear that the guy is a freak. He’s deceptively fast (the dude has a weird gait…I thought he was injured the first couple of times I saw him running), has a huge catch radius, and is super physical with DBs off the line.

So I’m not gonna pick one, but I will offer up that if you want to do a theoretical pick where current receivers that are similar to past receivers are pitted against each other you probably should be asking about Watkins vs Kendrick or Williams vs Ross.

I have to wait and see what all Ross does in the next 2 year

Jan 11, 2019, 10:58 AM

s but they both look great in orange.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic