Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It Was a Good Deal
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 1

It Was a Good Deal

Apr 16, 2019, 12:08 PM

Long, long ago, before WW2, I was attending the University of Florida. Money was never a problem because I didn't have any. Along came an enticing offer, selling banners, buttons and "game day" items at the Florida-Georgia game in Jacksonville. Five of us guys accepted this promising offer. We had to buy a board covered with all of these trinkets. Anything over the cost of the board was our profit. The deal also allowed us to get a refund from any unsold items.

In addition to our having to purchase the board, there were other costs we had to incur for food and lodging. We found a flop house for $1.00 per night per person. All five of us slept in one bed. We had to sleep cross wise to get all five in the bed. Woolworth and other drug stores had a lunch counter where we could get a full breakfast for $0.30. We also found places where we could get lunch and supper (we didn't call the evening meal dinner) for less than $1.00 per meal. One of the guys had a car so the other four of us paid for the gas to drive to and from Gainesville to Jacksonville. I don't remember the cost of gas but it was probably between $0.20 - $0.25 per gal.

We made most of our money on Friday night and the best places to display our wares were at the entry of the large hotels. After having a few drinks our customers would shower their wife or lady friend with our trinkets and trying to impress the lady, we usually received a tip greater than the cost of the trinket. If we had any unsold trinkets after Friday night, we sold the remaining trinkets the next morning. Each one of us made about $50. - $60. and that was BIG money at that time.

And that's the way it was way back yonder!!!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It Was a Good Deal

Apr 16, 2019, 12:34 PM

Great story Joe! Sounds like a perfect American dream story. Working hard and being creative to make it all happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic