Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is it "handling"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Is it "handling"

Dec 6, 2018, 12:23 PM

or perhaps they are just different young men? What a bunch of BS. I hope we completely curb stomp them...

https://www.wndu.com/content/sports/Tale-of-two-quarterbacks-handling-of-benching-separates-ND-and-Clemson-502026601.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i say we put at least 40 on them.

Dec 6, 2018, 12:26 PM

go tigers!

Re: Is it "handling"

Dec 6, 2018, 12:30 PM

I cant open the link at work but anybody who thinks that the way the QB situation was handled at Clemson resulted in anything but the best possible scenario just isn't paying attention.

I would argue that not only KB being offered a redshirt but ending up leaving was the best thing that could have happened in the long run.

It not only allowed Lawrence to get all of the 1st team reps and speed up his development but it also allowed Brice to become the backup which meant that the starter and backup could run the same offense.

It would have been difficult to keep trying to set up different ways for both QBs to succeed. Brice as the backup means everybody runs one offense in the same way.

Dec 6, 2018, 12:45 PM

Here is the transcript, although the video shows it even more that Notre Dame clearly feels they are the superior of the two in how they handled their quarterback situation....

"On the surface, it looks like Notre Dame and Clemson have had similar seasons. They are both undefeated and in the College Football Playoff, and a big reason both teams haven't lost is because both made a quarterback change midway through the season.

Brandon Wimbush began the season as the starter and led ND to a 3-0 record, but the offense struggled to create an identity, prompting Brian Kelly to make the difficult decision to bench his experienced senior in favor of backup Ian Book.

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney had to make a similar call, replacing senior Kelly Bryant, who had led the Tigers to the Playoff a year before, with true freshman sensation Trevor Lawrence after four games.

Both moves worked out well for both team, as each offense sprung to life. But it's what happened with the benched quarterbacks that separates the two programs.

Bryant left the team immediately after the demotion, opting to preserve his final year of eligibility and transfer rather than stay with Clemson as the backup. Tuesday, Bryant announced he is transferring to Missouri.

Wimbush, meanwhile, stayed as Book's backup, and even returned to the starting lineup when Book got hurt, throwing three touchdowns and leading the Irish to a 42-13 win over Florida State on Senior Day.

That difference, according to Brian Kelly, is one of the key factors that separates Notre Dame and Clemson.

"Their backup quarterback leaves, right," Kelly said. "He transfers. Our kid stays, you know, and helps us win a crucial game against Florida State. And I'm not, you know, saying anything negative about it but it's a different story. Their quarterback goes down against Syracuse, and they have got to bring in a third-stringer to kind of rally the troops to win the football game. We go to Brandon Wimbush, and here is a kid that's won 11 games. So they are kind of different stories. They still end up being undefeated teams during the regular season, but they get there differently."

#3 Notre Dame and #2 Clemson face off in the Cotton Bowl, Saturday, December 29th at 4pm. The game will air on ESPN."

Dec 6, 2018, 12:48 PM

Thank you!

We all know Notre Dame thinks they are superior in every way to everybody.

I already highlighted why they are wrong about how the feel on this situation.

Brice was the better option to defeat Syracuse. It allowed ETN to take over.

Brian Kelly is just as arrogant as he was the first time we kicked his butt.

Dec 6, 2018, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it "handling" ]

The QB situation he speaks of has nothing to do with the difference between the two programs. It has everything to do with the difference between two individuals and how they approach their futures in football.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2018, 12:33 PM

K.B. handled the situation badly.

Dec 6, 2018, 12:38 PM

Looking back I think it would have helped his image a great deal by staying with the team and taking the redshirt.

On the other hand he would have likely been bashed by the fan base if he didn't blow his redshirt to help the team come back and win the Syracuse game when Lawrence got hurt. I would have had a hard time not questioning that decision. Since he left the team it kept him from having to make that decision.

I also think he would have had a harder time shopping programs if he was still with the Clemson team.

Dec 6, 2018, 12:46 PM

I don't think that the KB situation could have turned out any better than it did... It was a perfect ending to what could have been a nightmare, and a huge Peeee U Weeeee!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2018, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it "handling" ]

Between all the banter and articles (most in fun), this is the one that pi$$e$ me off and shows how arrogant they are. It's time for the Tigers to bring them down a few notches and show them they're not relevant in CFB or will be anytime in the near future. Go Tigers!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I'm not saying anything negative, but"

Dec 6, 2018, 12:36 PM

Kind of a ###### comment from a head coach..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Right. And to make it about the “programs”

Dec 6, 2018, 12:45 PM

The difference was purely one selfish and petty individual.

Plus then Kelly kinda belittles Chase Brice. We kick their ##### with CB at QB. But sure be all smug and #### you pompous ###.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Yeah, the they had to put a third stringer in and rally

Dec 6, 2018, 1:50 PM

the troops...

Sounds like a smug #######.. Can't wait to send him back to pack up some more snow loaded patio furniture.

GO TIGERS!!

Re: Right. And to make it about the “programs”

Dec 6, 2018, 7:17 PM [ in reply to Right. And to make it about the “programs” ]

Neither one of their QBs would start at Clemson and they would fall in somewhere behind Brice. Brian Kelly likes to hear himself talk and I hope his statements end up on the bulletin board for the Tigers to see.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not saying anything negative...but...

Dec 6, 2018, 12:40 PM

we're going to curb stomp some leprechauns in a few weeks.

Dec 6, 2018, 12:58 PM

Certainly a BS article. It failed to mention that Wimbush had already exercised his red shirt in 2016. What a crock for Kelly to even compare the sitautions.

Nice article Alex Wilcox...NOT!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KB/BK...both handled it

Dec 6, 2018, 1:31 PM

Poorly. BK's 'handling' will hurt much, much more!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fake news.

Dec 6, 2018, 1:31 PM

Brian Kelly didn't disparage Clemson or KB, he just said they have a better backup because KB left.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

But that isn't even true...

Dec 6, 2018, 1:50 PM

Chase Brice > Brandon Wimbush

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kelly didn't compare stats...

Dec 6, 2018, 2:36 PM

he was talking about game experience, a true freshman vs someone with 11 starts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Fake news.

Dec 6, 2018, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Fake news. ]

After re-watching the video, looks like the news reporter Alex Wilcox is to blame. Quote: "Both moves paid off in a big way for each program, but it's how they were handled that sets the teams apart" - cut to Brian Kelly interview -

Taking BK's words apart from the news caster's comments they do seem a bit more neutral... I think the local news is trying to fluff them up, and adding the story line about how things were "handled"

Be prepared for the pundants to hold ND up on a pedestal

Dec 6, 2018, 1:42 PM

especially NBC and their affiliates. It's going to be sickening... ND is perfect, Clemson has no chance...yada yada yada.

Only those who follow cfb closely will know and say the right things.

How does Winbush look as a pro prospect?

Dec 6, 2018, 1:47 PM

I mean, I don't remember him on any pre-season awards lists or other indicators that he might have a future FB career to play for.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How does Winbush look as a pro prospect?

Dec 6, 2018, 1:49 PM

I have not watched the games in which he has played but based on the description I have heard of him, he is very similar to Kelly Bryant.

He was replaced by Book due to his inability to throw the ball effectively.

I don't have a problem with anything in this article.

Dec 6, 2018, 2:03 PM

All factual. The two situations are different in terms of what happened. I don't think the article is suggesting that Clemson did anything wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Hey now...

Dec 6, 2018, 2:17 PM

There are three full weekends without Clemson football.. Can't you let us have our faux outrage....

GO TIGERS!!

Re: I don't have a problem with anything in this article.

Dec 6, 2018, 2:21 PM [ in reply to I don't have a problem with anything in this article. ]

To be factual, the fact that Wimbush did not have an option to transfer should have been mentioned. It makes for two totally different sitautions that could not have been handled the same.

I have a problem with the whole premise of the article.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't have a problem with anything in this article.

Dec 6, 2018, 2:37 PM [ in reply to I don't have a problem with anything in this article. ]

Quote: "Both moves paid off in a big way for each program, but it's how they were handled that sets the teams apart"

The only way this can be construed as neutral is if he is implying how each 'player' handled the decision. If that is what he meant, it was a poor choice of words.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic