Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is a Wall the best way to secure the border?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 674

Is a Wall the best way to secure the border?

Dec 21, 2018, 9:37 AM

I confess that I have never taken the wall idea seriously because I thought it was just a political stunt that was more symbolic than anything else.

I haven’t really seen much analysis from security experts. There doesn’t appear to have been any discussion about what is the best solution.

Why do so many people think it is even a viable solution or be a responsible use of taxpayer dollars?

Has there been any consideration for more realistic options?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From what I've seen, the wall will slow it down some

Dec 21, 2018, 9:38 AM

but it's not the best investment.

Higher tech border security (not wall) is the best bang for the buck.

In other words, will stop more immigrants per dollar

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

What is higher tech border security?

Dec 21, 2018, 9:43 AM

What good are sensors, drones, and other tech if there's not a physical barrier? So we've detected them, now what? Hope border patrol can run them down in time?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Using HTBS we can identify the indiviuals

Dec 21, 2018, 9:48 AM

long before they ever get to the "wall" and have BP there ready to apprehend when they cross over.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think it's quite that easy***

Dec 21, 2018, 9:52 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

None of it is easy and there will still be people who get

Dec 21, 2018, 9:55 AM

through. But which plan stops more per dollar? From what I've seen it's not the wall

Just saying we need high tech border security isn't really

Dec 21, 2018, 10:11 AM

a plan. Walls work, they work now, they've worked throughout history. Although the eminent domain and cost aspect of the wall are strong arguments against it, a wall/fence/whatever you want to call it is undoubtedly the best, most secure option.

Obviously you'd have to have automated monitoring systems, etc. but it is the only guaranteed solution.

these are the same idiots that cried and said people would

Dec 21, 2018, 10:37 AM

die with the end of net neutrality and tax cuts...theyre just hysterical ingrates

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Um...I don't think that the long-term effects of

Dec 21, 2018, 10:39 AM

(non)net-neutrality or tax cuts would be realized in 12 months.

But maybe I'm just patient.

Re: Is a Wall the best way to secure the border?

Dec 21, 2018, 9:42 AM

77 countries have a border wall. You tell me.

No.

Dec 21, 2018, 10:07 AM

Between construction costs, land acquisition (two-thirds of our border doesn't sit on federal land), and maintenance, it's never been feasible to build a wall the length of our southern border. Trump knows that, but "build that wall" is easy to pronounce and chant during one of Trump's many circle-jerks with his base. So, he goes with that.

Strategic wall improvements, on the other hand, are pretty effective in more urban areas. Also, a "virtual" fence is what I think that CBP consistently asks for, going back to the GW Bush days. That's essentially a network of UAV's and sensors, and of course manpower needed to enforce the border.

I think any other president could work with a bipartisan commission on the latter, and make real progress. But Trump isn't interested in progress, here... He just loves hearing the chant.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

80% of illegal migrants & contraband enter “port of entries”

Dec 21, 2018, 11:03 AM

As usual the 80:20 rule is being used in reverse.

Fully staffing the Border Patrol and better technology at port of entries are better investment.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^This^^^***

Dec 21, 2018, 2:14 PM

Dec 21, 2018, 11:15 AM

how about we just strictly enforce our existing labor policies and watch the illegals file out of here. Anyone ever wonder why we don't just do that? could the answer be that both sides of the aisle like them some cheap illegal labor and that a wall only deters the low hanging fruit?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The wall has one big disadvantage to virtual walls and high

Dec 21, 2018, 11:16 AM

tech.

With the virtual non-wall methods, the illegals, or as I call them, "citizens-in-waiting", at least make it across the border before being apprehended, which allows for loopholes, lawsuits by RAICES and the ACLU, and photo ops by Hispanic Caucus members to give them a great chance at remaining in the US.

If they don't even make it across the border in the first place, those tactics become unavailable to us to employ. We can't have that.

NO WALL!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2018, 12:16 PM

Not as long as they keep making these:

And these:

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Israel says 'HI.'***

Dec 21, 2018, 12:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 674
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic