Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Duke is ranked 108th in rushing defense.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Duke is ranked 108th in rushing defense.

Nov 15, 2018, 2:06 AM

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24/p3

The Duke defense is ranked 105 in the nation and is giving up 212 yards per game wh8ich is just about 25 yards per game better than Louisville. They give up 5 yards per carry.

We are number 12 rushing the ball in the nation averaging 251 yards per game. We are averaging 6.73 yards per carry.

This looks like on paper that it should be like a hot knife going through butter.

Dean

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Duke is ranked 108th in rushing defense.

Nov 15, 2018, 3:24 AM

We shouldn't even have a top 25 this year because there aren't 25 good teams.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2018, 3:59 AM

Point taken as College Football has tuned into pretty much Bama, US, OSU/Michigan, UGA, and Oklahoma. Note Dame has solid team this year UT they have not been to the playoffs yet and could still lose.

I hope we remain 2 and ND 3 because I think Note Dame is the weakest of the top 4 teams.

I guess listing the top 4 and then listing the top 21 teams that suck least is not good marketing.

As for Duke, that run defense is really going to e a problem for them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2018, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Duke is ranked 108th in rushing defense. ]

Yes but only because the SEC can only field 14 .

DB23

Nov 15, 2018, 4:06 AM

I watched a bit of a Duke replay. Their defense really is that bad. They are constantly out of position and they can't tackle at all. Should be a fun game for ETN.

The u5c rush defense is almost as bad (104th)...

Nov 15, 2018, 7:14 AM

The next two games, Clemson may be able to score at will without having to throw a single pass.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Dabo said Duke is a unique challange

Nov 15, 2018, 7:15 AM

you have to ignore meaningless statistics

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo said Duke is a unique challange

Nov 15, 2018, 8:44 AM

lol. Dabo also said Louisville was a very good team. If you haven’t learned by now that Dabo talks his opponents way way up, you never will.

Re: Dabo said Duke is a unique challange

Nov 15, 2018, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Dabo said Duke is a unique challange ]

Think he was speaking for Coach Brownell .

DB23

Nov 15, 2018, 8:42 AM

I watched a couple of Duke replays (UNC and Pitt), and I see why Duke is ranked so low for their run defense. They fail to set the edge many times. I expect us to pass often, but our RB's are going to pummel their D, and we might have at least 2 RB's (ETN and Lyn J) rush for over 200 yards each.

On the flip side, Daniel Jones is the real deal at QB and hits his targets quickly and accurately. He likes his TE's (87-Gray and 80-Helm), and his WR (3-Rahming), and makes it look easy to move the chains. Jones can actually run pretty well, but that will be a mistake against CLEMSON's D. He might not survive this game if he does that too often. I'm guessing that our D will play a lot of tight coverage to prevent those quick passes that Jones likes to do. They slant a lot and throw to the middle to their TE's a lot. They seem to be somewhat predictable. They have almost no run game, and rely primarily on the pass. They do have some trick plays to allow their receivers time to get behind the D for easy scores. The ones I saw would be seriously blown up by the CLEMSON D.

Just looking at rushing yards allowed is an objectively bad way to evaluate a defense

Nov 15, 2018, 8:59 AM

Look at the advanced stats which factor in opponent adjustments, explosiveness, efficiency, etc. and they are 47th. Propped up a little because of a good start to the year before they sustained some major injuries but still much better than the 108th you’d get from one simple stat.

That's not exactly true

Nov 15, 2018, 9:00 AM

They are 108th in yards allowed per game, but they aren't that bad in yards per carry allowed. They've faced two triple option teams (Army and GT) plus some other teams that have run the ball on them a lot. If your defense gives up 212 ypg on like 25 carries per game you have serious issues. If you give up 212 yards per game on 42.5 carries, as Duke has, you aren't doing that bad. I mean 5ypc allowed isn't great, but it's not horrific like their ranking of 108th in YPG would suggest.

FWIW their defense is 56th in rushing S&P+, but just 98th in stuff rate. It looks like they just consistently give up like 4-5 yard carries without many run stuffs, but also without giving up too many big runs.

I think that's still the way to attack them because their pass defense is actually quite solid and we should be able to stay on schedule pretty well by running the ball. But i don't think they are as bad against the run as their total defense would suggest.

Nov 15, 2018, 9:05 AM

Ironically, they shut down Army and GT this year

Nov 15, 2018, 10:00 AM

Duke should be ranked over Northwestern, too.

In fact, Duke beat Army worse than Okla did, and Army has no other losses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd like to see Etienne get another 200+yd /3 TD game***

Nov 15, 2018, 11:07 AM

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic